Quest for medium priced Spotting Scope - Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A 20-60 x 80mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for medium priced Spotting Scope - Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A 20-60 x 80mm

I have been getting sick of trying to see small bullet holes through a scope. I can manage seeing .22 cal holes at 100m but not much further. .17 cal holes very difficult to see at 100m. I have a cheapy older telescope that I have been using but really not better than my 18x gun scope. I am getting sick of driving/walking back and forth just to see shots. With ladder tests it is a PITA! Fire a shot, drive 300m mark up, drive 300m back fire another shot etc.

I have done my normal internet research trying to find as decent as scope I can at a reasonable price. As it is only intended to be used to spot holes in paper/steel marks I really couldn’t see the point in spending a whole lot of extra cash on Euro or Japanese glass. I wanted to find the best made, best optics spotting scope I could for around $300 to $500. Hopefully something that will last and work 95% as well as Euro.

I was seriously looking into Meoptas and Kowas. I have and love Meopta scopes and have Kowa Bino’s both these brands are excellent and fantastic value. But by the time you add in an eye piece and a couple of extras you are looking into significantly more $.

As much as I try to avoid Chinese made (excluding electronics) I would have to be content with something made in PRC but hopefully I could find a reputable brand. There are many decent brands/models that I looked at (Celestron, Bushnell, Tasco, Nikon, Barska, Vortec etc.) that seemed to fit the bill. I wont go into all the pros and cons of each but after a lot of reading reviews etc I ended up seriously considering a:

Konus 20-60x80mm

Works out around $300USD (with stand)
    As it is a large heavy item delivery to Aus is around $80.00!

I read a lot of good reports/reviews about the newish:

Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A 20-60 x 80mm

But it was out of my price range and by the time you add in tripod plus delivery may as well go Euro/Japan brand and be done it.

I then found it for sale in Aus, actually cheaper than it is for sale in the US:

$450.00 from an Aussie retail shop! Aus warranty, Aus seller, no brainer what I decided to order!
    I also got the Vanguard Alta Pro 263 tripod. It has equally good reviews.

Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A Dirt Cheap Cameras

I should get this scope later this week sometime and hope to use it on the weekend. Rather than me reviewing it I think this guy has done a much better job than I could ever do.

Best spotting scope review of Vanguard Endeavor HD 82a

It also comes with a camera adapter (to mount camera on it). If I can get that to work I will try and post some actual target shots at different ranges. I will try and post some photos etc soon and let you know my thoughts for if anyone is interested.

All up cost around $600, a little over original budget but by the looks it should be a worthwhile purchase.

Youtube promo video:

Hi Vromme,
    Did you get your spotting scope. It sounds good in the review, but is it as good in the flesh so to speak? What is the eye relief like?
    Regards
    Les

Comment

• Vromme
      Vromme commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Les, I have got it but have been away. I hope to play with it this weekend weather permitting. It looks very well made. Im still waiting on the bloody tripod, (spent almost as much on it as the scope, it should be decent!) so havent really tested it. Had a bit of a look a it appears quite clear. Not as bright an clear as my bino's and scope but they are higher end (Meopta scopes and Kowa binos).

I will put somthing together when I test properly.

Hi Vromme. Im in the same boat.

Im finding it hard to justify the otherside of $500 for a spotter, but, I am slowly but surely starting to learn to 'Buy Once, Cry Once'.

Still, I love a bargain, and there are some out there. Im thinking secondhand is probably the best bet. I mean they are a pretty static item that don't wear out from being looked through. Its the in and out of cars and the accidents that are of concern. Nearly pulled the trigger on a second hand Nikon.

If your anything like me, You've avoided looking through 'good glass' so you don't know what your missing! Nikon sport optics are the best I have allowed myself to look through. Other guys at the range with their friggin multi thousand dollar 'NightForce' , 'Doctor' , and 'Shit&Bendover' optics, I steer clear of, lest I look through them and then have to stop by the LFD on the way home with my credit card hanging out.

Considering its monsoon season here, Im getting well sick of long walks in the 38degree rain and 98% humidity. By long walks I mean the 10m from the bench to the car which is enough to get you completely soaked and all out of whack. Then the AC freezes you to death. Then you get out and you start to smell like a wet dog.

You know what, I think I might just go buy that scope now.
    Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• Vromme
      Vromme commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi DM,

Yeah $100 for piece of crap or $500 for something that should be half decent or thousands on top glass. If I was going to spend time using it for hunting etc I would go high end, but just cant justify to look at holes in paper. I did look at Swaro's at a gun/hunting expo thing a while ago - they are like an orgasm for your eyes! Bloody amazing but cost thousands! I would prefer to buy another Sako for that!

Mate if you love a bargain and still want decent scope optics go Meopta. A mate has a schmit and bender and we compared side by side and neither he or I could not tell the difference. Meoptas are 1/4 to 1/2 of the price of S&B.

We have the opposite weather problem here in New England, frost here last week, 7-17 degrees here today. But still cant be arsed walking back and forth between shots/groups.

I know that you now have your new spotting scope, but I have been looking at the wedgetail brand scopes that Moroka.30 sell. They have a couple of mid-ranged priced scopes ($580 - $1090) that look good and have also had some good reviews in the field. They are Aussie designed, but not sure where they are made and have a lifetime manufacturers warranty. Here is a link: http://www.moroka30.com.au/spotting-scopes-c-39.html?zenid=19672650c7fedb616d790edfa660eb42

Comment

• Vromme
      Vromme commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by shooter3975" post=31958
      I know that you now have your new spotting scope, but I have been looking at the wedgetail brand scopes that Moroka.30 sell. They have a couple of mid-ranged priced scopes ($580 - $1090) that look good and have also had some good reviews in the field. They are Aussie designed, but not sure where they are made and have a lifetime manufacturers warranty. Here is a link: http://www.moroka30.com.au/spotting-scopes-c-39.html?zenid=19672650c7fedb616d790edfa660eb42
      Sorry for slow reply only just noticed your response. I havent heard about those scopes, Im guessing still made in China. For the $ of the 20-60 x 80 Id prob look at a Meopta or Kowa. You know you have fantasitc glass with those.

Great review very well presented thanks ,I made the mistake of buying the cheap one and I suppose it is good enough for the price but I wish I had saved up and bought a better one.
    kind regards Ben

Comment

• findingtime
      findingtime commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to give you an idea what a high end Spotter will do , in Nz last week i was using my Swaro 20-60 on 60X ( no mirage due to temp ) and we could clearly see 7mm holes at 750m and i'm sure if we had shot at greater distances we could have seen the holes for another 100m or so .

FT

Thanks for the review, I wonder if I can get my wife to get me one for my Birthday

Comment

I'd be really interested to see these up against other spotters head to head. I've looked through a HD nikon & it was beautiful and clear. I've also looked through Tasco's that you wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Be interesting to see where this one lies between.

Comment

At 80x I can clearly make out my hits from the .223 at 1000 on the gong.

But next weekend I can test how far I can make out holes with a white background Paper target if you like.

Here is some pics from my homemade iPhone adaptor to the spotting scope. Sadly I do not have the funds to buy a dslr to directly mount to the scope. What you see with the naked eye, is nothing compaired with the phone pic. ( to much light hitting the Sensor and producing a white out blur in the center of the screen at 35-80x ( whites out the screen ) might have to come up with a filter of some kind.

Scope at 20x and Roo at 400 yards at 5am in the morning.

My iPhone adaptor $2.50 was total cost for build.

Comment

Ok Vromme and nuthead it's been about a year now so whats your honest opinion of the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A

i gather you both have had enough time to test in all kinds of conditions i am very keen to hear how this scope has gone

cheers Darren

Comment

• muffo
            muffo commented
            Editing a comment
            Ive noticed 3 things. 1 your cheaper spotters eg sub 1k seem on white backgrounds but cant see holes very well in black back grounds and most comps all the shots sre in black back grounds. 2 my vortex razor hd seems to be a good compromise. It does almost as well as the top swaro but isnt as bright. It cost less than half the cost. And 3. A target cam completly shits on a 3.5k swaro for 3 to 500 dollars

yes but i don't want one for paper if i did i would go the camera route for sure

Comment

• muffo
            muffo commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by speerchucker" post=179000
            yes but i don't want one for paper if i did i would go the camera route for sure
            Most people are quoting how far away they can see holes in paper not animals

As others have said, spotting scopes are near bloody useless if there is mirage/heat/dust etc around, I was using a mates $12k Swaro a while back and with the heat haze etc around it was hard even seeing bullet holes properly at 100m! I was very surprised but it does make sense when you think about it. No doubt on a nice cool day it would be fantastic to look through - just something for those who are in the market for a spotting scope to keep in mind - regardless of price range they will struggle in those hot heat haze type conditions.

Comment

• muffo
            muffo commented
            Editing a comment
            I could see the rings on the target fine at 900 in 36 degree heat the other day. Mirage moves them. It doesnt make them not visable. 12k swaro? I think your mates a bullshitter unless they have come out with something new thats 3 times the price
        Working...
        X