Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50FFP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50FFP

Sorry for the late review I said I'd do last week but I had to wait till my NF 6 bolt rings turned up as I ordered a Unimount which ended up being way too high! Anyway here goes!
    1. Opening the box I was pretty impressed with what I saw the scope is finished in a FDE anodise which is quite pleasing to look at and the scope is finished off nicely too!
    The scope comes with a sunshade and scope cover the cover is a little disappointing as they are the hard type ones you get with cheaper scopes I would've liked to have seen at least the Bikini covers you get with a NightForce! The instructions on how to set the zero stop is straight forward and not too hard same can be said for how to use the Horus H59 reticle.

I wanted to use a one piece Unimount from Night Force for the scope but didn't do my measurements right and forgot to allow for the Picatinny rail which as you can see by the pic was waaay too high! I'm going to use a Spuhr mount eventually but I was impatient and ordered a set of the New NightForce Ultralite six bolt 34mm rings in Medium which as you can see were spot on.

With the Medium rings

All mounted up on the .338 Edge I got the .260 with the NF F1 and sat them side by side to get a comparison on size.

As you can see the XRS is a little longer than the NF and the only other discernible difference is the 34mm tube of the Bushnell. However the Bushnell does look beefier than the NF.
    The thing that you really notice is the size of the Turrets on the XRS they are huge being nearly twice the size of the NF turrets which felt nice in the hand and should be good during winter with gloves on!

I took the XRS back off the mounts and rifle and took it outside and mounted it onto my tripod and did some macro/closeup shots of the Scope.

As you can see the scope is finished off like you'd expect a $2200 to be!
    I set the scope on 4.5x and focused it in on a shed in the distance as you can see the Bushnell is a very bright scope it was 16:30min the afternoon and the image is a lot brighter then the surrounds I had trouble trying to pickup the H59 reticle with the camera but at even 4.5x you could still easily make out the Mil hash marks.

I zoomed in on the reticle to try and show it but it was bloody hard to try and get the reticle and shed in focus! but you can see the reticle at 4.5x.

The next image is wound up to 30x you lose about 4Mils of the reticle but still a heap left to play with! the stadia lines aren't too heavy either about as thin as my NF at 15x and the XRS is at 30x!!

Having the NF and XRS side by side the brightness of the Bushnell is very noticeable to that of the NF same goes for the colour saturation and clarity I'm no optical engineer and I could notice it!
    I took the scope to Majura and did a grid test consisting of zero at 100m left corner grid square then up 6Mils across 3Mils then down 6Mils then return to zero stops. The scope tracked perfectly to the mark I'm really liking the H59 grid too I've been so impressed with this scope that I bought one of the LMSS Spotters and as S12A can tell you their very impressive I got the H32 which is similar to the H59 so now I can have someone call the exact correction when calling shots!

Cheers Nathan

good review Pody , looks like a great scope and its very reasonably priced too

Comment

Nice overview Pody, great stuff. Not the first XRS I have seen, they are impressive scopes.

I just don't like how the turrets lock, they don't seem to lock in smoothly most of the time, and require a bit of left and right play before locking down again.

Might just be me but every locking turret Bushy I've played with had the same problems.

Awesome value for $2200.
      Sometimes life gives you lambda points. Just chill, once the bubbling stops s'all good mate.

Brotha's got spinners!

Comment

• Pody
        Pody commented
        Editing a comment
        Not too sure what you mean I dial up and back down it stops never had to move it left and right? I know they had some problems with the first HDMR's turrets which they said they addressed with the H2DMR.

How do the scope base screws handle such a heavy scope? Any chance of shearing them off?

Comment

• Pody
        Pody commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by tactical" post=2369
        How do the scope base screws handle such a heavy scope? Any chance of shearing them off?
        I had my base screw retapped to 8-40 from 6-40 don't think they would shear off with the brake on the recoil is in the 30/06 range!

although very nice, surely they would have to be the worlds biggest turrets.
      what did you buy it for.
      target shooting or long range hunting?
      just asking.

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        Big turrets are a good thing if they are well made, check out the M5a2 turrets from leupold if you wanna see big.

• Pody
        Pody commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=3332
        although very nice, surely they would have to be the worlds biggest turrets.
        what did you buy it for.
        target shooting or long range hunting?
        just asking.
        I built it for both Longrange Targets and Hunting.

They are a fantastic scope for the long range work and I luv mine Great trackability and built tough, the turrets are big but when dialling up and down to dope shots they are awesome. Very nice to use in cold weather when you have gloves on.

Comment

Take the 3 inch sunshade off They're nowhere near as long as a NF

Comment

Working...
        X