Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38869.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	323969 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0205 (2).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	323970 I recently showed a centre fire rifle Ruger Hawkeye in 308 win and it was mentioned that a better scope was needed so I have come up with this new/old scope and I am hoping someone may have some knowledge of the brand and the quality. It is a fixed power 4x40 and has a reticle that is a bit unusual any advice or tips on the use of this scope fitted to the 308 will be appreciated.

They are from the 1970s. You will still find a lot stuck on farm guns mostly 22s but deer calibres as well.
    They were a cheap scope but apperently some still work. I would try something better, to avoid any doubts. BTW I love the post reticle.
    Last edited by MrCarbine; 23-10-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Shooting View Post

Name:	image_38869.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	323969 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0205 (2).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	323970 I recently showed a centre fire rifle Ruger Hawkeye in 308 win and it was mentioned that a better scope was needed so I have come up with this new/old scope and I am hoping someone may have some knowledge of the brand and the quality. It is a fixed power 4x40 and has a reticle that is a bit unusual any advice or tips on the use of this scope fitted to the 308 will be appreciated.
      if that is your idea of a better scope then both the ruger and your hopes of better groups at 100mt are doomed .....pd.

Comment

• Just Shooting
        Just Shooting commented
        Editing a comment
        My hopes have crashed LOL I may have to dig a little deeper into my money pocket.

Originally posted by MrCarbine View Post
      They are from the 1970s. You will still find a lot stuck on farm guns mostly 22s but deer calibres as well.
      They where a cheap scope but apperently some still work. I would try something better, to avoid any doubts. BTW I love the post reticle.
      Thanks, MrCarbine yes the reticle is a bit of an experiment from the past I don't know what the real purpose was for this design may be as it is in low power the clear field in the top portion would make for a clearer shot on moving game at a moderate range? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206 (2).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	323974

Comment

You are spot on 'shootin'. If you can belt a six inch in diameter plate at 100M with all of those 4 .308 rounds a couple of times... You have zero that is holding.

There are a few modern variants of this reticle design. They come in similar and variable magnification range and so does the price... Some even incorporate a 'red dot'.

They are not as popular because folks cannot squeeze that group size down... But then again what type of group is really required for say bowling over pigs or deer from 20 to 120 metres?

I don't know nuttin' about your 'Hawkeye' mate but have owned the shorter barreled 'Gunsite' in .308. There was plenty of things going down within the range and slightly above with one... And that wasn't using a scope but it's own 'ghost ring' open sight system. (Which that reticle you have shown us is basically duplicating.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg Views:	8 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	323977

Maybe the real challenge and fun isn't squeezing the groups to a 'poofteenth' but getting a little closer with that set up. Which means your target could end up well and truly 'on the hoof'... Or not?

If you want to reach out to say 200 plus metres plus a more appropriate scope is the ticket. But if the set up works otherwise... spend the 'chops' elsewhere.

Cheers and have a great weekend mucking around with it.

HERNE.
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• Just Shooting
          Just Shooting commented
          Editing a comment
          I will give it a try on the 308 I did have this scope on my Marlin 94/44 mag at 50 meters I was getting 3'' groups I think the Marlin 94s have a slopy barrel so the scope might be OK. Thank you for your reply and confidence HERNE.

JS..i agree with most of what herne has said also,but extra magnification is not just about being able to bowl over that target several hundred metres away in an open paddock it is also about being able to glass the country around and ahead of you in order to identify those critters that have not yet sprung you and also those that have sprung you and are trying to quietly sneak away. stuff you will miss out on otherwise..i sometimes use binos but they mostly give me shits as they are just something else to get in the way...as i said those rugers are a good thing i love them , but you must do it justice with your optics to get the best out it ......if you are yet to work it out shit optics are one my bugbears...along with over priced optics that is.....pd.

Comment

• Just Shooting
          Just Shooting commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks pd yes that's what I was thinking a good look around scope I will give it a go soon and hope it is up to the recoil worth a test I guess. If I can get 2'' groups at 100 meters I will be happy with that if not it will be down to the shop for another scope see what I can get for around $400.

Very true 'pd' and binos can give you the 'Tom Tits' a bit. I never use to carry them and 'glass' the terrain with my scope. But over time found the limited view more of a pain, especially covering distances to ridges, being able to pick up movement across a broader range of vision with the bino's.

So conceded and bought myself a very compact 10 power set of bino's that can easily slip into a leg pocket of the 'trou' or pack...
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• pd
          pd commented
          Editing a comment
          exactly..i use a set of bushnell 8x25 perma focus binos , i just need to remember to wear the dacks with the big pockets...cheers..pd

Originally posted by Just Shooting View Post

Thanks, MrCarbine yes the reticle is a bit of an experiment from the past I don't know what the real purpose was for this design may be as it is in low power the clear field in the top portion would make for a clearer shot on moving game at a moderate range? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206 (2).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	323974
        Exactly, it is used by Europeans for driven game. A little like open sights without the rear sight. Place the tip of the post on your target and squeeze. I believe the Brits have a similar reticle on their standard service rifle.

Comment

'MrC'. This the best thing for European driven game hunts...

Name:	bc7b467f9af47c12537a1c422b2f359f.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	323990

In the 7.62 'Maximi' variant of course...

Comment

• Just Shooting
            Just Shooting commented
            Editing a comment
            Yahoo, I like the thought of getting paid to hunt.

Yeah, looks a bit more like Middle East though.

Comment

• Just Shooting
            Just Shooting commented
            Editing a comment
            There is hunting all around the world. The rabbits are a bit big over there.

It could be an OK daylight hunting scope at those ranges if it holds zero, if not just chuck it.
          I put my last deer down at about 200yds with my $400 Bushnell still on 4 power.
          Would have added some zoomies but buck fever stopped me doing all the things I should have, ranging, glassing etc.
          Just crouched behind a fallen log and shot it dead centre literally, shot was back a bit too far.

I don't glass much but the binos are always on my chest in case, you get used to having them there.
          I avoid using the rifle scope, more just a public land thing, not pointing a rifle around until it's time to shoot something

Comment

• Just Shooting
            Just Shooting commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point you make regarding looking around with the scope it would be very easy for someone to make a false accusation and we know who they will believe. If it doesn't work it's trash my young son can play with it always tell the kids never to look at the sun. Thanks magoo.
            Last edited by Just Shooting; 24-10-2021, 04:24 PM.

Yeah, the only human you want to meet in the forest is another hunter.
          Anyone else and it's like they just run into Ivan Millat.

Rumors have it that hunters have met those 2 loons, and stumbled on their camps, father and son that slept in the same bed and shot it out with the cops. Stockos or whatever, banjo boys if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
          X