Looking for a low power scope for my lever action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a low power scope for my lever action

Hey guys, looking for a scope for my Marlin 336 for general use hunting anywhere between petting distance to about 200m. I have Skinner sights, but have had a hard time using them at night/under the spotty the last few times I have been out.

This seems to fit the bill (the one with the illuminated dot in the middle of the crosshair), however I would like some opinions on other options.
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/hog-riflescopes/vx-hog-1-4x20mm/

Cheers

Get realistic about the distances you plan to shoot at. Everyone wants to be a long range sniper but in reality very few do. Low power or no power think Trijicon or Aimpoint 1X red dot. Military and Law Enforcement agencies don't use them for nothing.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Chang739
      Chang739 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=45695
      Get realistic about the distances you plan to shoot at. Everyone wants to be a long range sniper but in reality very few do. Low power or no power think Trijicon or Aimpoint 1X red dot. Military and Law Enforcement agencies don't use them for nothing.
      I don't really like the idea of red dot scopes... While I would like the scope to have a glowing dot, I don't want it to be reliant on batteries (batteries run out, it still has an old fashioned cross hair in it). Plus I feel like I'm committing a crime already putting a scope on a lever action - A normal scope doesn't look as out of place as a red dot.

I have found that the average distance I shoot from on the back of the ute is 100-150m. There have been a couple of long range shots out to 200m and there have been some at 15m. I think it's fair to ask about a variable power scope to try and accommodate those ranges.

Yoshie: I agree about the reticle - I just want a plain duplex.

GregT: Do I have to find a special kind of scope in order to mount it that far forward? Or is that just a normal scope?

Thanks for the replies guys, giving me some food for thought.

I have a blr 308 mate and had the same questions as you.. Started with the vxr pig plex and while it was very clear and balanced well, I found the reticle to be a bit busy and the black reticle on a black pig didn't cut it for me.. Personal preference really.. I then moved to a vxr 2-7 fine duplex with illuminated reticle... Awesome and really love it, but....
    When I got that scope I only had the 1 gun, so the 1 gun/scope combo had to do it all, from close scrub work to longer range stubble work and spotlighting off the ute.. Now I've got a few more options in the safe (shotty and a 22-250) so I'm thinking of putting a red dot on the blr down the track..will def be an aimpoint..
    So I guess it comes down to where/what u shoot and what other combos you have.. If you just have the 1 gun, I reckon the red dot might limit you, but go nuts if you've got some thing else with a bit of magnification..

Ibreck

Comment

• shooter65
      shooter65 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Browning" post=45725
      I have a blr 308 mate and had the same questions as you.. Started with the vxr pig plex and while it was very clear and balanced well, I found the reticle to be a bit busy and the black reticle on a black pig didn't cut it for me.. Personal preference really.. I then moved to a vxr 2-7 fine duplex with illuminated reticle... Awesome and really love it, but....
      When I got that scope I only had the 1 gun, so the 1 gun/scope combo had to do it all, from close scrub work to longer range stubble work and spotlighting off the ute.. Now I've got a few more options in the safe (shotty and a 22-250) so I'm thinking of putting a red dot on the blr down the track..will def be an aimpoint..
      So I guess it comes down to where/what u shoot and what other combos you have.. If you just have the 1 gun, I reckon the red dot might limit you, but go nuts if you've got some thing else with a bit of magnification..

Ibreck

You should have spent the extra $200 and got the VXR pig plex with the Illuminated fire dot, I have it on my Ruger Gunsite Scout and it is great. You can't miss the fire dot even in almost no light.

And for my Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 i have a Burris Fast Fire III on and XS scout rail.

I have a Millet DMS 1-4 on my 458Socom, and its the best thing for it. Reticle is clear and great for snap shooting. Sort of a german no4 with a illuminated donut with a dot in it for a center. Not badly priced and has had no issues with recoil
    http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/

Comment

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you thought about a fixed power, since you are looking at Leupold I would recommend their FX-II 4x33mm it's light weight good eye relief and clear optics and you don't have to worry about what power your on - got one my 308 Winchester carbine.

I've got a 2.5x28 EER Leupold on my 44 mag. Very quick to acquire a sight picture and enough mag to make it worthwhile having on there.

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.

Comment

• Yoshie
      Yoshie commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 1-4x30 leupold on my marlin 444, works a treat. It's similar to the vxhog but with a more normal (less busy) reticle.

I've got a Vortex SPARC on my .44, 1x magnification with a 2x screw in multiplier. Fast, light and relatively cheap ($200)

Comment

Do pistol scopes count as EER? They have eye relief ranges of 10"-24". I wonder if I could put one on a 30-30?

Thats a nice looking rifle right there, nuthead I like the idea of a variable scope (Especially one that drops down to 1x) because with the twist of a dial I can go from basically iron sights to a scoped rifle. No parallax or anything to stuff around with, if I expect to be shooting longer distances (spotlighting on the back of the ute) I can pre-set it one way... else I'll just leave it on 1x.

There is a cheap Nikon that seems to tick all the boxes... except the fact that it isn't illuminated (which isn't a deal breaker). I'm still not 100% I'll even like having a scope on the lever action at all, maybe it would be better to try a cheaper scope rather than dropping $500+ on a leupold?
      http://www.4scopes.com/nik-6757.html

The other plus is that the reticle is a nice tidy German #4.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Chang,

the rifles not mine unfortunately (I just pulled the pics from the bet net as examples of what they look like mounted).

The vxr hog actually has an illuminated dot so it works much like a dot sight at low mag but its not actually a true 1x despite the marketing (its 1.25x with the parallax set at 75m)

since it's an actual scope though the image is brighter than a red dot sight

I guess my question is now: Is getting a cheap scope worth it? I don't know much about Nikon...

Comment

• 45/70
        45/70 commented
        Editing a comment
        My cheapest best is a v3 weaver 1-3x20 classic made in japan
        There about $180 us. Ish. I have seen cheaper
        You get what you pay for
        The vx hog looks ok for the money
    Working...
    X