Clear All

• life is good!

it's a good day at Pickering Brook
    all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Looks familiar ​​​​​​

Pissing down with sky beers in West Vic

Comment

Tell me more about that sight, mate.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Forward!
      Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

A little project I have been involved in - reproduction of very early WW1 issue Lattey sights.

These were originally designed for full-bore target shooting pre-WW1, but at the start of WW1, due to our having no real telescopic sights in our military [or the capability of manufacturing them] while those dastardly Huns had the worlds best scopes and manufacturing industry for them, our diggers & Tommies resorted to using their own personal target shooting aperture sights and the various Galilean type of sights that they used back at home for target shooting.

Lattey / Gibbs etc. were rapidly bought in bulk by the military as a stop-gap measure until "proper" scopes were available.

I have wanted a set of Lattey sights for decades - but they are like rocking horse poo - and finding one to take a pattern from was even worse.......until....
        One day I was chatting to a bloke about the different .303's - and he knew of one that he could "borrow".

He took a pattern of the metal bits, while I took the lenses to my tame optician to get the optical properties analysed.

Lenses proved to be the most frustrating part of the project.
        The rear lense is a hassle - too small to be made on machines - so is ground over size - then hand cut to 1/2" diameter, the front lense had to be made of modern synthetics as we couldn't find anyone willing to make them of glass.
        However - both new lenses are optically identical to the original WW1 issue lenses.

Field of view is very narrow compared to modern scopes [4-ish feet @ 100 yards], 2 "and a bit" magnification, and it uses the original iron sights!

Comment

Well, you are a legend. Do they improve sight picture/aim over the normal sights?

Comment

It's interesting and even archers often use lenses with a bit of mag.

I wasn't sure if they had to be tailored to your vision or they just work like a scope.

I can't shoot with both eyes open using peep rings on rifles or a bow.
            ​​​​​​​Never looked through any lens-type sights.

Comment

Awesome SN!
              Truly amazing
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Forward!

Comment

Early days so far - only had it to the range for the first time last Saturday.

Currently it is on my '41 Lithgow, but as soon as I chase up a few "period correct" bits for my 1909 Enfield the Lattey will be swapped over.

The Lithgow is in reasonable-ish nick - but far from being seriously competitive [which pretty much describes me too]
                It is in as-issued unmolested condition, I am not game to weigh the trigger as it would probably break the gauge

The primary purpose of the trial on Saturday was to see how the Lattey handled recoil / turns out it does - much better than me!

At 100 yards you have a field of view a bit over 4' with somewhere between 2x and 2 1/2x magnification

All I used last Saturday was 30 rounds of PPU factory loaded 180 grain soft points - last 5 shot group was a bit over 3 1/2"

followed by 12 reloads [from waaay back] of PMC cases, 38 grains of AR2206, white box primers and taipan 170 grain .312" hollow points - for the last 5 shot group of 3"

I use the lid of my coffee mug as a gauge - it is 75mm across on one side, 87mm the other,
                the 5 x factory PPU's had 4 holes totally covered by the 87mm "gauge", with the stray being 1/4 covered
                the 75mm "gauge" totally covered the 5 holes from the taipan reloads

so -
                on a one way range - yep! all good - just make sure that at the shorter ranges you are shooting at the right target, [very narrow field of view compared to modern optics]

for hunting - the field of view is a bit tight for most realistic / ethical shots at short ranges, but depending on the game and the setting could be do-able

For a "two way range" [battlefield - trench warfare] it would be hard to keep clean and prone to damage, and reflections from the unshielded front lense would be like a neon sign saying "HERE I AM - PICK ME!!!"
                Last edited by [email protected]; 01-07-2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

oh yeah...and as an added bonus - the bayonet can still be mounted!

Comment

Yeeessssss!
                    Forward!

Comment

My almost local gun shop - Beaton Firearms - have a "Friday Night Live" session on YouTube, and as an opening act, the shops owner [Bill Beaton] usually drags out what his son and staff lovingly refer to as "olde shite".
                      Bill loves threeohs, and olde schoole firearms stuff - so if you want to see our Lattey sights and the'41 Lithgow they are currently clamped to, they will be part of Bill's "Friday Night Live" show and tell session starting 1730ish [W.A. time] Friday 23/07/21,

Comment

Interestingly, there’s now an American company offering a product using similar principles to offer a “2nd zero” for longer range work.

For the price they’re asking, it might be worth buying just to have a play with down the track.

https://www.axeonoptics.com/the-seco..._Zero_Category
                        Forward!

Comment

Working...
                        X