Nightforce SHV *New mid priced scope model*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightforce SHV *New mid priced scope model*

I didn't see this posted anywhere here so i thought I would share in the good news.

Nightforce has announced a new model of scope named the SHV (shooter, hunter, varminter).

In a nut shell the scope is targeting the market looking to drop $1k on a scope (MSRP $995).

All the nightforce quality and reputation in a neat package more suited for hunters. You must admit, the NXS scopes are made to cop a bashing... I have personally seen some of my NF scopes go through accidents that make my heart skip a few beats, yet they always come out on top. Sometimes paying for this level of durability is not needed for a gun that visits the range and occasionally gets out for some hunting. Its good to see this part of the market being catered for by Nightforce.

http://nightforceoptics.com/shv/

love the idea, not much more of a jump from my VX3 ($850) if the nightforce comes in at the $1k mark. hmmmmmmmm thinking a birthday prezzie next year for myself :P
    savage MKII FSS .22 boyds laminate stock leupold VX1 3-9X40
    howa 1500 .243 varmint bedded in boyds thumbhole stock leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 DNZmount
    howa 1500 .223 varmint in the "franken stock" shortened barrel (19") pecar 8X56 DNZmount
    gammo shadow 1000 .177
    akkar churchill 30" O/U 12G extractors

Comment

Have read they will retail for "$995 non-illuminated $1199 for illuminated" US prices. Im interested in how the glass will be compared to the NXS.

Pete

Comment

Nice scope so far. Not liking the 56mm objective though. I would prefer 40-50mm myself.

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          40mm would be better or 50 even. Annoying how they havent said whats under those turret caps.
          I know its .25moa but nothing else. Have noticed that with nightforce marketing lately. Big on hype, low on pictures.

I looked at it hard myself a couple of days ago when they were announced but after thinking it through I would rather have a Sightron SIII for the same money, neither is a scope I would put on a hunting rifle.

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          I'ed get one, if it wasn't for 14x Might as well save a few $$$ more and get a higher up option.

Liking the concept

Comment

you do realise they do a 5-20x56 with a ZERO SET don't you .......... http://nightforceoptics.com/shv-5-20x56/

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by speerchucker" post=120104
            you do realise they do a 5-20x56 with a ZERO SET don't you .......... http://nightforceoptics.com/shv-5-20x56/
            its like a no frills product with the same ingredients as a branded product :lol:

if they had mil/mil I would buy one...

• muffo
            muffo commented
            Editing a comment
            why pick such a stupif reticle tho

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by speerchucker" post=120104
            I most certainly do, however I'm told that the 5-20 won't be available in Australia until September. I was only talking about the 4-14.

For those wondering about the odd naming of ZeroSet, I asked NF and they tell me that it's the same principle as ZeroStop on the NXS line, with a few minor changes, but still a clutch arrangement. Being the ZeroStop is patented and a trademark, they could not call the modified-for-SHV version ZeroStop.

I think these will be a great little scope and would suit many buyers.. It seems they offer a good, strong base with enough adjustment's all for $1000.

I haven't personally seen one in the flesh, so I cant comment on the glass yet, but I wouldn't think NF would use sh*t glass.

Comment

Looks like a nice bit of kit.. will certainly keep the other manufacturers honest!!

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              A buddy of mine has one of these mounted on a 250 Ackley Improved. They are a massive scope for a 14x scope, he has the MOA reticle and for varminting it's not my cup of tea for a varminter. Don't get me wrong it appears to be a quality scope, the reticle for spot lighting I don't like, but makes my VX3 Leupold 6-20x50 look small. We compared them side by side and I don't believe the glass quality is any better than VX3 glass. The standard SHV duplex style reticle looks very thin and if you were going to be doing a lot of lighting I would get the illuminated model. It's approx. 200g heavier than the VX3 6-20x50 and sits high of the rifle to clear the barrel. I hummed and harred if I would get one for my 17 Rem spot lighting rig build but after using my mates at night I think it will be a Kahles KXi 3-10x50. If you are thinking about a SHV check them out, sometimes it's hard to evaluate a scope just looking through one in a shop.

shoulda got a pic of what was under the turret caps :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by speerchucker" post=121159
              shoulda got a pic of what was under the turret caps :lol:

thanks that'll work

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I must say that after a more extensive testing period with the SHV I have changed my initial thoughts somewhat. I have been using my buddys scope for a few spot lighting and sit of varminting sessions of late with my 22-250 AI and heavy barrelled 17 Rem. Combining the MOAR reticle with an accurate range finding system this scope has proved very efficient out to extended varmint range. I compared this scope side by side with the VX3 and the Zeiss HD5 at various times of the day and on various size targets. I do plan on a write up when more time permits,

So I upgraded two of my rifles today with new glass .

:P

This is a good review putting it against the NXS
            http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/nightforce-shv-4-14x56-riflescope-review-1.php

Comment

Zook
              Just read the review on the link you posted.
              Reads well. Argh just to find the money

Comment

They are going to do a more hunting style scope I wonder how much it will be?
                http://www.nightforceoptics.com/shv/3-10x42

Also have this new one too
                http://www.nightforceoptics.com/atacr/4-16x42-f1

Comment

Working...
                X