Whats the best aimpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best aimpoint

I want to put a red dot on my BLR,can anyone tell me which aimpoint is the best for hunting 100/200m shots at the max

I use an H34S Aimpoint Hunter on my .30-06. Cost about $800.00. Is it the best of the Aimpoint range? I don't know, all Aimpoint products are quality.

Although a very light scope they are tough as nails, easily able to cope with any recoil and also have a very long battery life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0118.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	56771
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

I did try to reply earlier, but my laptop ate my reply.
      I have a T1.

It's a very lightweight, small (only 2inches long) and comparatively unobtrusive optic that takes up little room on a rifle.
      Stupidly long battery life, mates of mine change out their batteries every two years even though it's not necessary.

A wee bit pricey though. And it uses a unique battery, one of those little coin types.
      Besides cost, the other major downside is the size of the viewing window due to the small size of the optic. Although this is negligible, since the optic body should "ghost out" during use when focussing on the dot and target.

Other options to look at are the M3 and the newer M4 series. I have no personal experience of them, but people I know that use them professionally rate them. They also offer a larger viewing window if that's a concern, and use commonly available AA batteries.

Hope this helps mate.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Forward!
      Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

• Archie
        Archie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info fella's it all helps

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_005.htm

I've got one of these on my BFR 45-70 and it holds up to the recoil well. Not an aimpoint but a very strong red dot sight.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        G'Day Fella's,

Archie, here's an image of my Rem 673 in .350 Rem Mag with an Aimpoint "Comp C3" with a 4MOA dot.

Name:	RemM-673.350RemMag.JPG
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	56817

And my Ruger M77 MkII in the .350 Rem Mag with the same model Aimpoint and one of my "Scout Mounts".

Name:	scan0001_2013-12-21.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	56818

Whilst these are my primary Sambar rifles, it has been a while since I've been in dedicated Sambar country but they do get a run on the local species.
        Do I need to say, I like this model, or is that already obvious?

Hope that helps

Merry Christmas
        Homer

Archie....when you get the Aimpoint don't use them like normal scopes. Keep both eyes open, which is a bit difficult to get used to at first. You don't have to worry about parallax error, there isn't any. It doesn't matter what your head and eye position are just get the red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. They are great for quick shots.

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        Sambar is spot on there. Although there is noreason to close an eye with a normal scope either, its a bad habit that a lot of people do.

• findingtime
        findingtime commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=45467
        Archie....when you get the Aimpoint don't use them like normal scopes. Keep both eyes open, which is a bit difficult to get used to at first. You don't have to worry about parallax error, there isn't any. It doesn't matter what your head and eye position are just get the red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. They are great for quick shots.
        You close one eye when using a normal scope ?? Why??

FT

Edit

S12A beat me to it…. i should have finished the whole thread before i posted…..one day i'll learn.

some people are dominant in the other eye.
      hence partly or fully close the opposite eye.

Comment

One more thing....findingtime.....I've read your posts, I don't know anything about you. How about you tell everyone who you are and what you do.

I guess we will see you at the Forum Shoot at Mudgee then?

Comment

• findingtime
          findingtime commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=46364
          One more thing....findingtime.....I've read your posts, I don't know anything about you. How about you tell everyone who you are and what you do.

I guess we will see you at the Forum Shoot at Mudgee then?

I would love to come to the forum shoot at Mudgee SC… But unfortunately i'll be Hunting in NZ for the next three weeks , chasing Chamois, Goats, Pigs and a few thousand Rabbits so maybe next time….. didn't think you shot paper???? isn't that a bit pointless and boring for you ??

Merry XMAS

FT

take it outside, or stick to the topic.!!
        the pair of ya.
        I know you can both contribute positively, so please do so.
        cheers.

Mod.

Comment

Hey Antz i have an Aimpoint M3 with a 4MOA dot.

I have to say i am an Aimpoint fan ,not much gets away from a Marlin 336 and aimpoint combo up close and out to 100 odd meters.
          The reason i went the M3 is because it has a rubber cover to protect the tube.
          Being a hunting rig ,it made sense for me to get the rubber cover.I can be hard on my gear.
          You can also get new rubbers for your tube... that sounded rude...

The reason for going the 4MOA dot is because i will be getting older and my eyes will eventually fail ,thus i went the bigger MOA.
          They have a adjustment knob for the brightness of the dot,think it has 12 settings and is great to turn up or down as the daylight,goes brighter or fades.
          The settings of the dot will get bigger and brighter as you turn up the settings.This is a very good extra to have!

This scope is a keeper.
          If you have ever shot a reflex dot scope ,they do grow on you,and an Aimpoint is a good quality rig with excellent warranty/support.
          Mine cost close to $900 when i purchased it ,was $690 for the M3 and $200 for the Aimpoint rings
          I purchased mine in Australia and saved for a while to get it ,but im glad i did.
          All my mates who hunt love it and 2 of them are saving to purchase one.
          One mate has the Burris fastfire ,he hates it and will eventually upgrade to an Aimpoint.

That's the one i have...but with a 4MOA dot

http://www.eurooptic.com/aimpoint-comp-m3-2-moa.aspx

Hope that helps.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Red Quoll" post=47840
            Hey Antz i have an Aimpoint M3 with a 4MOA dot.

I have to say i am an Aimpoint fan ,not much gets away from a Marlin 336 and aimpoint combo up close and out to 100 odd meters.
            The reason i went the M3 is because it has a rubber cover to protect the tube.
            Being a hunting rig ,it made sense for me to get the rubber cover.I can be hard on my gear.
            You can also get new rubbers for your tube... that sounded rude...

The reason for going the 4MOA dot is because i will be getting older and my eyes will eventually fail ,thus i went the bigger MOA.
            They have a adjustment knob for the brightness of the dot,think it has 12 settings and is great to turn up or down as the daylight,goes brighter or fades.
            The settings of the dot will get bigger and brighter as you turn up the settings.This is a very good extra to have!

This scope is a keeper.
            If you have ever shot a reflex dot scope ,they do grow on you,and an Aimpoint is a good quality rig with excellent warranty/support.
            Mine cost close to $900 when i purchased it ,was $690 for the M3 and $200 for the Aimpoint rings
            I purchased mine in Australia and saved for a while to get it ,but im glad i did.
            All my mates who hunt love it and 2 of them are saving to purchase one.
            One mate has the Burris fastfire ,he hates it and will eventually upgrade to an Aimpoint.

That's the one i have...but with a 4MOA dot

http://www.eurooptic.com/aimpoint-comp-m3-2-moa.aspx

Hope that helps.
            Thanks for the info mate . I have ordered a H34S today for $800 should have it in the week

Antz

I'd normally suggest not getting the military spec models unless one really wants/needs the extra little bits, like the NVG compatible settings (not visible to the naked eye), or the extra construction standard to make the device water proof to 50m depth, because normally, such features tend to add to the cost of the sight.

Except I see on that Eurooptic website, that the hunting models are more expensive than the military models! Wow!
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Forward!
          Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

I have the H-1 Aimpoint its pretty small and light but very effective . Has anyone tried spotlighting with these scopes ? I did and wasn't so successful . I may have been shooting to far for it in that light with maybe the dot too bright .

Comment

Have a look at the Leup Hog plex. I know its not a aimpoint. but it has a great red dot. and as a bonus its 1-4x mag. You cant beat that 4x mag for a little distance work. The red dot intenstiy is adjustable.

Well worth a look before you spend the money.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X