Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope for Winchester 320 .22

Hi guys new around so hope I'm in the right place

I'm going to be inheriting my grandfathers Winchester 320 once I get my license early in the new year. I'd like to get a scope for it , can anyone tell me what scope I need ??

Cheers !

ok,
    first things first.
    how much did you want to spend on it?

Comment

Get the Nikon 4x. You will not regret it.
      (Nikon as the camera maker)
      If you're going through hell, keep going."
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx fellas .. Spend as little as possible as it will be rarely used but I'd just like to have it kitted out for when it would be used, I'm hoping to frequent my local firing range regularly we'll see how that goes anyway... ill have to buy a bag /strap get it checked over etc to so it will start adding up my mrs already hates my many hobbies , cigars , shares, beer lol I look into the Nikon any other brands ??

heaps of brands that offer a cheap start.

tasco
      nikko
      redfield
      weaver
      simmons
      leupold
      burris
      bushnell

Comment

Mate, good day, and may I say, you are a lucky boy. I've got a 320, and holy guacamole can she shoot! Beautiful rifle and very nicely accurate. CCI standards and I've got one ragged hole at 50 meters. You'll probably need to give her a "tub" once you get her. It's really easy to unscrew the stock. Just clean up all the metal and make sure you
        give her a bit of oil about. Look there are lots of opinions, so have a look around. Make sure you clean out the receiver where the bolt extractors fit, they can be full of gunk.
        Man oh man, you're going to love this rifle. I've got a Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution on mine. Fantastic glass, but the turrets are doughie and I think, quietly, that they might be backwards. The advice about looking through them before you buy is a solid one.
        As it was explained to me, stay within your budget. If you don't like it, some mug will take it off your hands and you can go again.
        The bolt knob on the 320 lifts up pretty high when you open the chamber so make sure the scope is properly mounted. For sure you will need medium height rings, and depending on the type of scope you are fitting maybe even high ones.
        You're a lucky boy.
        cheers and enjoy your rifle.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx fellas appreciate the info !!! What does it mean 3x38 5x40 etc etc in relation to the scopes , I went on the Nikon site and scopes start around $235 or there abouts I'll check the others out also . Glad I've got a nice rifle what would the value of it be ?? It's in really good condition

Cheers !!!

Hi fellas haven't been round in a while flat out with my business and my 1st child finally did my safe shooting test/course and passed wooohoooo ! Joined up at the st marys ssaa for license A and B sport target/vermin hunting . From here I wait for their membership papers then send that off for the final approval by the boys in blue. Then the acquire form to get the ball rolling on rifle . I'll end up getting the nikon pro staff scope . Bloody excited to get all the gear guns etc and get started on my new hobby !!! Thx again for the help

Comment

If I were you I'd take the rifle to a gunshop and get the mounts/scope sorted there, doesn't sound like you have any experience so it might be the best way to go so you don't end up with the wrong size mounts etc and they can set it all up for you correctly.

Scope wise anything in a 3-9x40 or 50 would do everything you'll need from it for a first rifle - have a look through them and see what appeals to your eyes.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Id go steel mounts, medium height, not aluminium, I like Millet Angle locs but they take some understanding on how they work. And a 25mm scope tube, if you buy too cheap you will one day want better.

topdog, don't forget to try your rifle with the iron sights. If your eyes are still good, you could have a lot of fun. I don't think you'll win any target comps using iron sights, but for plinking and short range hunting, there's nothing better. I've got most of my 22's scoped, but I picked up a Winchester 67A on a whim. It's an old single shot with no provision for scope. I needed something I could bash around for "clean up" duty.
          I think you'll probably end up with at least two 22's, one with just the iron sights.
          Good luck with it.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Sightron S1 is another good quality entry level scope.
            Gas filled, multi coated lenses, life time warranty.
            3-9X40 landed for around $200 AU
            http://www.theriflescopestore.com/sisisihusesc4.html

G'day koolman and gang from memory one of the iron sights are missing can't remember if front or rear. I was going to start searching for that 1st have a plink around once found then grab eventually grab scope as mentioned prob nikon with med steel rings etc I've seen that scope for $110.00 . I dare say your right with having a 2nd gun too once I get use to and bored of the 320 Id upgrade to a bigger powerful rifle . Yeh bunny buster your right I'm going to get the scope mounted properly/professionally I'm not even attempting it . Then I've gotta buy gun bag , cleaning kit , gun safe , ammo , scope/mounts etc

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey fellas

These rings http://www.theriflescopestore.com/memafi4.html

This scope http://www.theriflescopestore.com/niniprriri4x.html

Should have me sorted ?

Cheers

Topdog, don't forget your hunting torch with a mounting system! And you're 6875 different types of 22lr rounds to try.
          You will soon find, if not already that you will need another income to fuel your new obsession.
          Regarding the scope that's been suggested, it's probably ok, but I guarantee you will find that you will want a higher magnification. Looks like you'll need a third job!
          If you're going to use your rifle for plinking and hunting, I will suggest to you at least a 3-9x. I use a 6x fixed on one of my 22's. It's ok, but it does leave you looking for a bit more. my 85 cents(inflation)
          Don't get too worried about needing all the bibs and bobs, you'll just either end up with stuff you don't use or confused, not sure which is worse. Take your nice rifle, and enjoy it, use it. As your experience grows so will your understanding. As a wise man once said, less is more. It's easy to get caught up in "accessorizing".
          If you have the money for it, who cares.
          Cheers

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeh your not wrong about 3rd job ! The minister for war and finance already hates my fishing and cigar hobbies so she'll be stoked about this when she see's the hard earned leaving the account hahaha . As you know Certain things I'll need eg gun safe , gun bag , ammo case , cleaning kit etc but I'll just grab these as you mentioned ,gradually and as I need and not get caught up in the accessorizibg to much , scope etc will do as a start . Appreciate all the help

RoyaleR7, I've got that Leupold, and it's brilliant for the money. It's sitting on my Zastava 223.. I've got a Leupold 3-9x on the Savage Classic, no not a new rifle but one of the last good ones, and I might have to do a swap.
          I've got a Bushnell on the Stevens 200 and rarely do I have to adjust. Great scope.
          Know nothing about Nikons.
          Topdog, perhaps you should get something like a Nikko Stirling. I've got a 4-12x50 on my Zastava 22wmr, and while it is cheap, it's really good for knocking about and when you get tired of it, it has cost you nothing much as you can still sell it on. For what they are, the Nikkos are ok, but you do sometimes get a rough one. Just return it if you don't like it.
          Keep your costs down and as you progess you'll know what you want.
          cheers

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok so I'm beginning to see a few fellas say move away from the nikkon not that it's bad just I could go more magnification . In the other scopes being mentioned price wise are they the same or similar to the $110 I was parting with for the nikkon ?? And the rings stay the same yeh ?? Thx a bunch lads
        Working...
        X