Jeepers, creepers, have you seen the prices of Leapers scopes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeepers, creepers, have you seen the prices of Leapers scopes?

I don't know boys and girls, I'm so confused. I've been looking for a scope for my Sportco 63A, and I am completely confused about what to get. There is just way too much selection The descriptions of the scopes make all of them, even the really cheap ones sound like the next best thing to sliced bread. And it would appear that even the expensive ones may not always be what they are made out to be.
    I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I want a minimum 12x variable. I like to see what I'm shooting at. A scope that is an all rounder.
    I've been looking at all of the websites, and the more I look the more confused I get.
    Leapers scopes on optics planet, you can get one for just over a hundred bucks with 16x variable, AO. That's crazy! Either it's a crap scope or just good value.
    So happy to hear about your opinions regarding scopes in the $200 range and under.

Thank you all.

i have the Leapers Accushot 8-32x56 swat model on my omark and it is GARBAGE!!!!
    Cant wait to trade it the biggest heap of crap i own it is milky and distorted the turrets turn in 9 MOA for a full rotation and don't have visible rotation marking making counting or cross referencing a pain in the backside. The illuminated reticule is good for blinding you and due to the haze turns the whole sight picture red/green.I would look at a sightron s1 or nikon prostaff in the under $200 stakes. Personally if your not shooting targets at a range 16x is a waste your better off getting clearer glass and a fine reticule than more magnification.

Comment

any chance you can stretch the budget to $300?
      you'll be happier.

Comment

send it, don't you hate that!!?? Thanks for the heads up on the Leapers.
        There's nothing I hate more than being done in by mis-leading advertising. You obviously know what I'm on about.
        I am looking at a Sightron, there's one on usedguns but I'm also wary of going second hand no matter how much people say "like new" condition.
        I'm just wondering if I should go with an ultralight Leuopold. But that's in the $300 range. I like the Burris and Weaver.
        But still what do you really need for a 22? As I said I would like at least a 12x. I've got a Redfield 12x on my winchester 320 and it makes shooting a bit more fun. Can't say I'm really happy with the scope. It feels cheap. Optics are good but adjustments are as doughie as all get out and I think they're backwards. Don't think I'd get another one.
        Just keep coming back to Leuopold, but even then you don't know where some of their stuff is made.
        Maybe I'll just go the iron sights!!! I'll need to eat a lot of carrots!!!!! :P

Comment

crabby crab, sorry, the last post was meant for you!! not sendit. See I told you about my eyesight!

sendit, what do you have in mind regarding $300 range?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            look at 4scopes.com, natchezss.com and the riflescopestore.com get your order in today and you might get it for xmas.

I would pick one of the good well known brands weaver, nikon, sightron, vortex, leupold. etc etc. etc. for a .22 don't over scope unless you are going to do target shooting predominantly. On my Krico .22 i have a 3-7x32 nikon with BDC awesome!!!!

crabby crab, what distances are you shooting? I've got a 6x fixed on my Zastava and I struggle with targets 75 meters and beyond. I just can't see them clearly enough under that magnification. The 6x is just a stupid cheapie Sabre, but you know what, it's never let me down.
          I've heard some bad press about the Vortex.

I do seem to keep coming back to the Leupold Ultralights. Just a tiny bit more than I wanted to spend.

cheers

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by koolman" post=42022
            crabby crab, what distances are you shooting? I've got a 6x fixed on my Zastava and I struggle with targets 75 meters and beyond. I just can't see them clearly enough under that magnification. The 6x is just a stupid cheapie Sabre, but you know what, it's never let me down.
            I've heard some bad press about the Vortex.

I do seem to keep coming back to the Leupold Ultralights. Just a tiny bit more than I wanted to spend.

cheers
            I shoot mostly on 3-5x using a torch out to 100 max you need glass clarity. If I was shooting paper I would go higher mag with reasonable glass. But mor magnification = bigger scope and more weight.

If I was shooting .22 target only I would probably get a weaver target model or similar with a fine reticle for around $300-400 mark as bulky will not matter.

What do you plan on shooting most? Game or paper? Will it be day or night is it a fixed range or variable? There are so many choices maybe even have a look at clearidge rm scopes around $320 landed brilliant and built for rimfire. The glass is very good bang for buck.

Have a look at Mueller 4.5 - 14 x 40 AO for that budget from OpticsPlanet or such.
          Great scope for the price and good reviews on rimfire central
          I have one on my Savage and love it.
          He who has never made a mistake has never made anything.

Many things have been developed by persons who were not smart enough to realize that they were impossible.

Comment

What ever you get Koolman make sure you get one with AO in the higher mag range or you'll be disappointed in the groups. Or if you get a lower mag get one that has its parralax set to 50m and not 100m like a lot of them.
            Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Mick, thank you so much for that.

The problem is that who's got the money to be able to compare all of the scopes out there? That's why this forum is invaluable, because of people like you who have experiences that they're willing to share. It edifies all of us.

Could you explain to me, someone who doesn't have a lot of experience, how the "set and forget" system works? That process of up and to the right I'm unclear on.
              Thanks Mick

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                "Set & Forget" simply means once it is zeroed, you use Holdover instead of adjusting the turrets up for long shots. (or cross ways for windage)
                Cheap scopes are not real good at returning to the same spot so best to Set them & Forget them.

For the bit about setting them so they need to be dialled left & Down to achieve zero.
                Have a look at how a scopes internals work & you will see why. It puts a little extra tension on the internal springs so they hold zero much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scope1-719384.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	53863

This is the main downfall of cheap scopes (as long as the image is clear) & the main reason some people have trouble with them, then blame the scope but it is not the scope, the problem is ussually the clot who mounted it.
                It is only because people do not apply any logic to what they are doing when mounting, some choose to just plonk them on & don't think about what is going on inside.

Yes, I used to be a "Plonker" too.
                This same logic applies with all scopes, regardless of price tag, it is just that the cheaper ones are more prone to trouble if there is not enough tension on the springs.

The other thing to watch out for in a cheap scope is the magnification.
                The higher mag scope can get a bit iffy because high mag requires good quality glass, something that cheap scopes do not have. Some are better than others & from what I have seen of these Leapers, they are pretty good.

3-9x can get away with it but much more than that & you can expect a poor image quality.
                At 12x they might still be OK........I'm not sure.

Leapers 5th gen 3-12x40

These are the ones I have - Leapers 5th gen 3-9x40

Mick.

Cheap scope

Sightron S1 from 4scopes.com

Best quality for the buck IMO

JH

Comment

I didn't say that mate.
                What I am trying to say (badly) is that paying peanuts, yet expecting premium performance from the cheap end of the market is fraught with difficulties.
                Only the end user can make that judgement call about where to spend their money.

Sometimes, sticking to the lower end of the market will always leave disappointment though.
                Just personally, nowadays I would wait just a little bit longer to save my pennies for a better piece of gear. It's that or be really disappointed with cheap sh!t.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Forward!
                Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or be really disappointed with expensive crap too!

As I mentioned earlier, I'm very disappointed with that $1K Viper but the Leapers I swear by & I only paid 85 bucks for them (plus postage)

What I'm saying is that a price tag does not always reflect an items ability to perform a task.

BTW
                  Those Leapers scopes have a lifetime factory warranty too.

Mick.

boys, I think you all have valid points. It's really good to get everybody's experiences, and if there is an opinion tied to that experience, that's great too.
                I don't think it's a matter of who's right or who's wrong. We must take an experience and an opinion as an opportunity to learn something, even when we may not agree with it.
                I just wish I was in the Murdoch family so I could have one of each scope to try out,
                Once again, I thank you all for your valuable input.
                cheers

Comment

Hey Koolman.

Here: http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/scopes/3540-a-few-cheap-scopes-for-us-noobs-cross-hawke-zos-leapers-and-nikon#42598

Cool. Man.
                  Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• findlay13
                    findlay13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well Koolman, I've got to give you a thumbs up for the thread title!

With optics you should spend as much as humanly possible mate.. you get what you pay for with optics, and the top end stuff truly is THAT much better its not even funny..

For the $300 bracket, look at leupold vx1 ??

Comment

Bought a Genuine Leepers 4-12 x50 scope for an air rifle . Thing ran out of adjustments on elevation at 15 metres . The lockable turrets tracked like shit . The glass quality was ok id admit . The red and green illumination blurred the reticle . For 89 delivered it was a gamble . And should of spent the money on a nikon or leupold vx1 or some sort .
                    Heck my jap nikko stirling I had on my old 223 was great . 4-12 and glass was good in all mag. Point of the story is if your looking for a cheap scope then a mag power of 12x max would be acceptable to use . Dont buy a 8-32 for 150 thinking you can see your hits at 500m because you will struggle past 100m

Comment

Working...
                    X