This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meopta Meopro 6 - 18 x 50

Ha anybody used one of these? Looking to put a scope on a 204.

I think its the perfect scope for a flat shooter like the .204. Meoptas are great hunting scopes.

I first had a 4-12x50 and was that impressed with it I got the Meopro 6-18x50 on my 22-250. I later got a Meopro 3-9x42 and recently bought a Meopta ZD tactic 4-16x44.

My next scope purchase will more than likely be another one. I cant believe they arent more popular, the glass is at the very least as good as other high end euros Ive compared them against. I have even compared to a S&B in the field and couldnt pick a winner (and that was against the Meopro not even the ZD tactic which prob just has the edge on the Meopro but double the price).

Basically it is a $1000 + scope without branding like the others and only pay $600 for it.

Dont take my word for it go to a shop if you are able and do some side by side comparisons esp in low light if you can (where most of my hunting is done). Read some US forums, not too many guys complaining about them.

The only problem with them is you cant brag about owning a Meopta like you can with the others (Zeiss, Swaro, Khales, S&B etc etc)

Comment

• fxol
      fxol commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Vromme. I was pretty happy with it at the local when I looked through it.

• Mack260rem
      Mack260rem commented
      Editing a comment
      hey Vromme
      $600 was that for the 6-18x50 ? or ZD 4-16 x 44 RD ? and where?
      best I can find is $690 for 6-18x 50
      $1190 for 4-16 x44 RD

i just bought one of these last night, so i will be doing some sort of basic review of it soon.
    at this stage all i can say is "WOW'. unbelievable value for money.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Wanting a new scope for my 250 heavy varmint rifle at the moment. I am interested to see what the recticle is like in them? Is the recticle nice and thin? Interested to read your review send it. I was also thinking of a Vortex pst 6-24, a few choices out there.

Meopta are a very under rated scope, yet they are all quality. I use a Meostar R1 4-16X44 on a .204 and I can't fault it. Doesn't have zero stop but I can live with that.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=76945
      Meopta are a very under rated scope, yet they are all quality. I use a Meostar R1 4-16X44 on a .204 and I can't fault it. Doesn't have zero stop but I can live with that.
      I thought you would use your aimpoint and 30-06 instead :lol:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uKgT7Q2pbv8

Just read a few reviews and they rate very well from all accounts.

Comment

The Meopta Meopro 6-18x50, z-plex2 reveiew.

a quick overview,
      assembled in Chech Republic, using European made components.
      aluminium tube construction.
      etched reticles
      shockproof
      fog proof
      water proof
      side parallax adjustment
      •Scope Weight: 19.4 oz
      •Scope Length: 15.4"
      •Magnification Range: 6 - 18
      •Scope Objective Diameter: 50 mm
      •Scope Tube Size / Mount: 1"
      •Scope Turret Adjustment: 1/4 MOA
      •Reticle Position: Second Focal Plane
      •Field of View: 18.3' @ 100 yds
      •Eye Relief: 3.75"
      •Illuminated Reticle: No
      •Scope Finish: matte black

Well I sighted in the Meopta Meopro (6-18x50 with the z-plex '2' reticle) in today, on the 308 rem.
      I took some pics of the reticle, and the turrets. (with an Iphone mind you).
      The reticles in these scopes are etched into the glass, hence why they can be made so thin, and also means that there is not a 'wire' reticle that can
      break under shock or recoil.
      As you can see, the reticle is very 'fine', in the centre. (I decided to mention this now as it was asked earlier in this thread about its reticles).
      In the photo it is hard to actually see the centre cross hair, but in real life it is still easy to see, once the fast focus is set, even in night or dark conditions.
      however, should your own eyesight be poor in general, you may even prefer a thicker (z-plex) reticle in low light situations for general hunting, as that reticle
      has thicker outer cross hairs.
      I found the ultra fine centre cross hair section is very nice to use, as it allowed me to easily dissect a 1/2" square target dot evenly, that I was shooting, assisting in
      group shooting and target work in general.
      So from a varminting point of view, you'll be able to place the cross hair on a rabbits eye at 100m, without the reticle blocking out the eye of the rabbit.!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	scope10.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	86987

Testing its sensitivity to eye relief (how far you needed your eye from the scope under varying conditions and settings) proved that this scope is extremely forgiving.
      It didn't seem to make any 'real' difference on the power setting, my face was able to maintain a constant distance from the eye piece irrespective of whatever power setting I viewed it at. A full and clear picture was there at all times.
      this also aids when fitting the scope to the rifle. Should your rings or action limit your amount of longitudinal options (e.g. rings too far forward etc), I'm sure this scope will fit most action lengths, and still not have you encounter any eye relief issues.

This model comes with target turrets which are capped with good quality caps that are easily gripped, and the turrets are graded at 1/4' per click, or
      7mm per click for metric.
      These seemed to track fairly well, with good feel, and have a good audible 'click' to them as they were dialled. I did do a couple tracking tests, but silly me
      forgot to photo that one. Oops.
      However, upon dialling 3MOA up,..........it put the shots 3 to 3 1/4" inches up.
      and when dialled 3MOA back again, and it returned to the original position, as it should. Close enough for me.
      These turrets are re-settable, meaning once you have your firearm set for a given zero, you can unscrew the inner retainer with a coin in the slot, rotate the turret to line up the zero digit with the centre line on the turret outer tube, then secure in place by tightening up the inner retainer with the coin again.
      Note that both my elevation, and windage have been reset to "zero" now that its sighted in for a zero @ 100m. (or......109 yards).
      this aids in making a correction to suit the shot, then can be returned to 'zero' again afterwards. A handy feature for both target shooting, and hunting at longer ranges.

Name:	scope11.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	86988 please ignore the white 'shine' in the centre of the scope,....
      as my flash was on.

below is a pic of a group I shot whilst fine tuning my sighting in.
      the bottom 2 shots were fired, then a 1/4" adjustment was made 'up' (1 click up).
      then I fired another shot to see how it went. As you can see, it went exactly 1/4" up.
      (I was rather happy with that outcome, it would've been a darn good group).

Name:	155HBCx45gr2208.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	86989 note; this is a 1 inch square red target, surrounded by 1/4" squares, makes for good reference.

Optically it was as good as you get for a scope in the sub $1000 range. (no it didn't cost that much, but it is in that quality range)
      It was a rather dull and overcast day at the range today, yet the target and surrounding scenery was still very bright and crystal clear to see, particularly once
      the parallax and 'fast focus' eye piece was set.
      I'd even say it's probably as good as it gets for in a scope with a 1 inch tube.
      No matter what power range the scope was set to, I would get a "full" picture sight, with no blurred edges towards the outer edges of the ocular.
      Something that many scopes seem to struggle with but not this one though, as it was a 100% bright and clear full image, with no fuzzy edges,
      even on max power (1.
      Note; even those faintly printed 1/4" small squares surrounding the 1 inch target squares were easily visible at 100m.!!
      All moveable parts, such as Magnification dial, Parallax dial, and Fast-focus dial feel very smooth in their action, with no backlash or slack detected anywhere.

The external and internal finish on these scopes are of a high standard, with the smooth black colouring being very well applied, with no paint lacking on
      any corners, bell housing edges, with the interior being completely "blacked out", leaving only the image sight and reticle to be seen.
      Whilst the bright white lettering and numbering on the scope itself, and the turrets and dials, being very sharp, clear and precise.

Name:	scope4.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	86990

Upon initial purchase, I noticed it was packed well and securely within its box, and came with its own cleaning cloth, front and rear rubber scope lens covers, and the manual and warranty paperwork respectively.
      These scopes seem excellent value for money, with many shops selling them for around the $600 to $680 mark, and this model would suit many a shooter wishing to due
      either target work, long range hunting, spotlighting, varminting or general shooting.

happy shooting.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Great review Send-it, a nice crisp thin recticle by the look of it, just the ticket for my varmint 22-250 that I just bedded .

Cheers Macca.

These sound great!

When changing magnification, does it 'çlick' each level, or is it smooth from 6x through to 18x?
      Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• shooter3975
        shooter3975 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by DeadMeat" post=77971
        These sound great!

When changing magnification, does it 'çlick' each level, or is it smooth from 6x through to 18x?
        Smooth from memory.

• Send-it
        Send-it commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by DeadMeat" post=77971
        These sound great!

smooth.
        firm,.......................but smooth.
        meaning you can set it anywhere from 6 to 18.

I've never heard of a variable scope that has clicks or any other mechanical indentation from one power setting to another.

Yeah the Vortex's are the first time I've seen that in a scope.
      Learn something new everyday hey.

Comment

Bought one of these yesterday and fitted it to my new CZ. Went and sighted in this morning, very clear bright image on an overcast day. Reticle easily dissects a 1" circle at 100m ( Just a pity my shooting doesn't lol). Paid $595 at Fisher Firearms, very happy with it.

Comment

Well I've gone and done it too... Now I have a little scope swap project for this weekend.

Comment

Found this on fleabay
            Absehenschnellverstellung
            Looks interesting

Name:	image_2014-04-05.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	92867

Comment

• shooter3975
              shooter3975 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by 45/70" post=84393
              Found this on fleabay
              Absehenschnellverstellung
              Looks interesting
              Just need an English translation...
              Attached Files

For those with a Meopta, have you had a play with their ballistics calculator... It is only in beta form but a good start.

http://calculator.meoptasportsoptics.com/appusa.html#Input

Comment

Do the 6-18x50 only come with the high target turrets?
              I swear I have seen the with and without.

Comment

• Send-it
                Send-it commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Zook60" post=89713
                Do the 6-18x50 only come with the high target turrets?
                I swear I have seen the with and without.
                they're available in high or low turrets, depending on the model imported.
                have a look on their (Meopta's) website to see them.

Pretty sure the 6-18 is high turrets only. Some websites I have seen them using the image of the 4-12x50 in place of the 6-18 and this caused me some confusion also.

Comment

I gave the new Meopro a shake up today at the Lang Lang range... What a great piece of glass, very clear, easy adjustment and can vouch for its water proof ability as it was a tad wet. Very pleased with my purchase.

Comment

Working...
                X