Good, cheap scopes for 22

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good, cheap scopes for 22

    Good day, all. I hope everyone is well and full of holiday cheer. I know I'm not. I'm worried about our country, and wonder why the media and everyone else are making it so hard for our prime minister to fix the mess that they've inherited. My word, you'd think everything was their fault!! Just exactly what is going on, I don't know. Anyway.....

    Soon, soon, soon, I'll be getting my little Sportco 63A. I'm having a look about for a scope and rings. I think it has a 3/8" dovetail. I wouldn't mind an at least 12x scope. I've got a 6x, a 9x and a 12x, and I much prefer the 12x, although I do most of my hunting with a 6x. Figure that one out. By the way, only the 6x is fixed.

    Not wanting to spend a lot of money, I wouldn't mind some opinions on good, cheap scopes. I've seen some Tascos, Dawson Rivers, and a few other chinese ones on ebay. The really really cheap ones, I think I would give them a miss, unless someone has some info on them.
    Perhaps there maybe someone reading this topic who might have a scope in reasonable condition that they might want to move on.
    It's to be used mostly for plinking, maybe a bit of range depending on how well it shoots, home targets, and hunting.

    Thank you kindly.

  • #2
    I like the idea of another one same as your favourite, if you can find one and better/ best glass is better than magnification IMO.

    Comment


    • #3
      Have a look at these Leapers 3-9x40 AO Mildot Lifetime factory warranty, extended mildot, A/O down to 10m Air rifle rated so they are solid construction all for $130 (I got mine for $85 in the US)

      I have two of these & they are a very good scope for the money. I would put this scope in the $300 catagory for features & clarity. (Ivé shot out to 1000yds with one on my 308 & numerous times at 800 & 900yds in F Class)

      Beware though, as with all "cheap scopes" they have thier short comings.
      Make sure when you mount it that it is optically centred or even adjusted a little Left & Down to achieve Zero.

      The reason being.
      The springs inside that act against the erector tube (crosshairs) are not the best in cheap scopes & with R/H threads in the turrets, if you go winding them too much to the Right or Up (turning Anti clockwise) to get them zeroed, it can take all the tension off the spring so the erector tube is flopping around in there like a cock in a sock & you can end up with it not holding zero each time it is bumped or transported.

      Best to bore sight it before touching the turrets (most scopes come already centred) so that the POI will be High & Right.
      Do this by fideling with the mounts, maybe even filing or shimming, swapping them front to back or turning them around can help too. But get it so the cross hair is High & Right of what ever the bore is aligned with by a few Moa before you move the turrets at all.

      This way you should have to adjust Down & Left to get a Zero & it will stay there for ever & a day due to the added tension you put on the springs.

      Cheers, Mick.

      Comment


      • mattw975
        mattw975 commented
        Editing a comment
        Whilst not super cheap, the Nikon Prostaff are cracking scopes.

        I bought my 3-9 x 40 unit last year for $210 incl pp from Queensland Gun Exchange.

        The lowlight capabilities is a match for much more expensive scopes

    • #4
      I'm using Jap Tasco's on the 22's of mine (4x40) and the Daughters (6x40) - bloody good scopes - you can often find them in the 2nd hand Bins at Gun Shops - next time your in one see if they have any kicking around and have a look.

      I was using the Daughters 22 the other day to shoot bunnies with (shot most of em out the car window - max range of 85m in the head (3 of them one after the other) :lol: the rest were around 40-60m.

      The one on the Brno Mod 2 had been there for around 30yrs now and has never given an issue ever (only ever adjusted the turrets once since it was put on!) and that was only because I pulled the rifle apart and POI change slightly - 1 click and it was back where it should be.
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

      Comment


      • Guest's Avatar
        Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Varminator" post=38889
        I'm using Jap Tasco's on the 22's of mine (4x40) and the Daughters (6x40) - bloody good scopes - you can often find them in the 2nd hand Bins at Gun Shops - next time your in one see if they have any kicking around and have a look.

        I was using the Daughters 22 the other day to shoot bunnies with (shot most of em out the car window - max range of 85m in the head (3 of them one after the other) :lol: the rest were around 40-60m.

        The one on the Brno Mod 2 had been there for around 30yrs now and has never given an issue ever (only ever adjusted the turrets once since it was put on!) and that was only because I pulled the rifle apart and POI change slightly - 1 click and it was back where it should be.
        That must be heaven!

    • #5
      Originally posted by koolman" post=38674
      Good day, all. I hope everyone is well and full of holiday cheer. I know I'm not. I'm worried about our country, and wonder why the media and everyone else are making it so hard for our prime minister to fix the mess that they've inherited. My word, you'd think everything was their fault!! Just exactly what is going on, I don't know. Anyway.....

      Soon, soon, soon, I'll be getting my little Sportco 63A. I'm having a look about for a scope and rings. I think it has a 3/8" dovetail. I wouldn't mind an at least 12x scope. I've got a 6x, a 9x and a 12x, and I much prefer the 12x, although I do most of my hunting with a 6x. Figure that one out. By the way, only the 6x is fixed.

      Not wanting to spend a lot of money, I wouldn't mind some opinions on good, cheap scopes. I've seen some Tascos, Dawson Rivers, and a few other chinese ones on ebay. The really really cheap ones, I think I would give them a miss, unless someone has some info on them.
      Perhaps there maybe someone reading this topic who might have a scope in reasonable condition that they might want to move on.
      It's to be used mostly for plinking, maybe a bit of range depending on how well it shoots, home targets, and hunting.

      Thank you kindly.
      This is a solid piece of kit, http://www.kygunco.com/nikko-stirling-mountmaster-4x32-4-ao-206
      Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
      Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

      One word 'Timshel'.

      Comment


      • #6
        Vortex crossfire 4-12x44 AO rrp about $270.00 american company assembled in the Philippines lifetime full replacement warranty have one on my Brno special excellent clarity , rugged construction , very good scope for low end price.

        Comment


        • Obrim
          Obrim commented
          Editing a comment
          I recommend a mueller. They are a little known scope here in australia but get rave reviews on rimfirecentral.

          I have the mueller APV which you can get for $130 on optics planet plus postage. It tracks well, has great glass for the price and has 4-14.5 mag. I'm looking at buying the 4-16x50 sport dot for my .233 as I need a cheaper scope at the moment. I have a Nightforce which is obviously better in terms of glass and durability but for the price the muellers are great!!! Seriously check them out.

      • #7
        ok, you all have been great with giving me some ideas. Very much appreciated, for sure!

        After fair rumination, I'm considering a Tasco Target Varmint 4-24x. I'm thinking that it might be an ok all rounder. The range officer has one on his Anschutz and he really likes it. Well, he's always winning the comps!! Maybe there's another reason?!!/?

        The price works for me,

        What do y'all reckon?

        cheers

        Comment


        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          The new Tasco's are mostly crap (especially in the cheap price bracket).......You might get lucky.

          The old Jap made Tasco scopes were really good, I have a 30-40yr old 4x32 & it is a great scope.

          Read Varminator's post. He is talking about the old Jap made ones too.

          Mick.

        • Throwingbrick
          Throwingbrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by koolman" post=39154
          ok, you all have been great with giving me some ideas. Very much appreciated, for sure!

          After fair rumination, I'm considering a Tasco Target Varmint 4-24x. I'm thinking that it might be an ok all rounder. The range officer has one on his Anschutz and he really likes it. Well, he's always winning the comps!! Maybe there's another reason?!!/?

          The price works for me,

          What do y'all reckon?

          cheers
          Im not questioning your decision but the ns i linked earlier shoots a 50 cent sized group of 5 at 50 metres of a bipod with the brno model 2

      • #8
        Ive been reading some good reviews on the Sightrons lately their optics and warranty are pretty good..

        I think I will be tending more towards a Prostaf for the 10/22, I had a 3-9x40 VX1 on my one back in NZ and that was excellent at night for possums but

        I think the gap between expensive scopes and cheaper scopes quality is becoming blurry these days

        Comment

        Working...
        X