Who is making high power target shooting scope???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is making high power target shooting scope???

Gday

I am currently using a Sightron S3 8-32 for Fclass.

I have been thinking of getting somthing with a little more power.
    The problem I am having is finding a cost effective option.

Here is what I have found so far:

Sightron S3 10-50 50MOA of adjustment $960
    NF BR 8-42 40MOA of adjustment $1500 ish?
    March 10-60 or 8-80 60MOA of adjustment $3900
    Nikko Stirling 10-50 Who cares , who cares $5 :lol:

And that is all I am really finding.

The sightron is winning so far as the price VS quality is quite good.
    The NF is also not bad but the 40MOA of adjustment worries me.
    March..... I cant afford it simple as.

So are there any other options that would fit the bill and not smash the budget?

JH

Nightforce Competition 15-55x50 60moa adjustment. Got mine for $2390.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sneeky253" post=34022
      Nightforce Competition 15-55x50 60moa adjustment. Got mine for $2390.

I may be able to get one of them at the right price.
      Is there anything that makes it more special than the BR version? (except side AO)

JH

What is the big deal with shooting bits of paper....I don't get it.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=34025
      I personally think its a combination of drag racing and golf.

Now to make sense of that I feel the drag racing is the equipment and the quality of it, Always striving to have more "go fast bits" and the hand loads is the fine tuning and development of your performance.

The golf....

Well its a game and I agree there is less skill in shooting the rifle compared actually holding it and shooting unsupported.
      But there is a huge amount of skill in understanding wind and read the flags to 0.5MOA accuracy (skill I dont have)

I love target rifles , When I see a good one my heart sinks. (I am sure many of us gets that same feeling when a ferrari passes by on the road)
      What I like most is that there are good and bad rifles and scopes mixed and its never a pissing contest because at the end of the day the shooter is what makes the rifle.

I like to go spot lighting.
      I dont really like walking though the bush all day to shoot a "trophy " and then have to work out how to get the thing home. Dose very little for me.

Each to there own I guess.

JH

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      What's the big deal with shooting at all if that's your stance??

• findingtime
      findingtime commented
      Editing a comment
      Another ill considered post... Why am I not surprised!
      But hey you now have 362 posts so well done !
      Ft

Shooting on a bench with a front and rear rest....I don't think so.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Why even bother posting something like that? seriously.

Comment

I tend to like zero magnification on an Aimpoint red dot these days on my .30-06. The .204 Ruger has a 4-16X44 Meopta Meostar. Whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment

No worries steve.

Comment

I have not looked at US optics and S&B seriously.
        They are out of my price range and if I have a spare 3k+ I would probably follow the trend and buy a March,

I was hoping that someone would share a secret 1-2K scope that I did not know about.
        I sent Lynx optics a email for a price on there 10-50x60. But I have a feeling it is limited in elevation

@ Steve.

What rail do you have for your NF?
        I will need 30MOA or so I think for 1000 yards. or a combination of my 20moa KF rail and some MOA rings.
        I am sure that will ad a good $200 to the price which means that the NF comp is in a appealing price bracket.

I know the NF is a good bot of kit. I am just turned off because of the limited adjustment.

JH

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by John23" post=34063
          They are out of my price range and if I have a spare 3k+ I would probably follow the trend and buy a March,

I was hoping that someone would share a secret 1-2K scope that I did not know about.
          I sent Lynx optics a email for a price on there 10-50x60. But I have a feeling it is limited in elevation

@ Steve.

What rail do you have for your NF?
          I will need 30MOA or so I think for 1000 yards. or a combination of my 20moa KF rail and some MOA rings.
          I am sure that will ad a good $200 to the price which means that the NF comp is in a appealing price bracket.

I know the NF is a good bot of kit. I am just turned off because of the limited adjustment.

JH
          mine's on a steel 20moa ken farrell but a clever guy could surface grind another 10moa or so off the underside and probably not have to worry about re counterboring the screw holes. i considered shimming and bedding mine to get 30moa but i'm only planning to shoot out to around 500m so it's not necessary

it's true the nightforce BR should come with 60moa or so

steve

• Snag
          Snag commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by John23" post=34063

I sent Lynx optics a email for a price on there 10-50x60. But I have a feeling it is limited in elevation I am sure that will ad a good $200 to the price which means that the NF comp is in a appealing price bracket.

JH
          Yep, I want something with more than 100 MOA for the Sledge, and the target units just don't seem to have even that travel.

The "solution" I am trying at the moment is Barrett Xrings 15/45MOA on top of a 20 MOA Piccy. Problem is that 45 MOA get me a X hair zero of about 1050m on 45MOA and that's a bit restrictive. The Xrings are made in USA so they do not change as easily from 25 to 45 as you would think (if they were German). It's a bit of farting around and I can't yet confirm how well they hold vertical zero either.

March if you want to see the target when things get tricky and the other brands become a coke bottle.

NF as the way to get started.

Comment

As Snag alludes to, your question is not about the scope itself, rather about the elevation required from the scope and the rail.

If this is only for F-Class then the number of times you shoot beyond 1000 yards is limited. Match Rifle (out 1200 yards, and Coonabarabran when it runs the 1500 yards) are the exceptions. So your scope range is looking at travelling between 300 m/yards and 900m/1000 yards. A Nightforce does this with ease with a 20 MoA rail. A March 10 - 60x also does this with ease (and easily out to 1500 yards without hitting top of elevation).

The one thing you want to avoid is shooting at he extreme of the elevation or windage travel in any scope, regardless of brand or price. For various reasons, mechanical and optical, this is a bad thing. Nevertheless, the rail makes it go away.

Doing the calculations on my March 40x FFP and the Boo Boo I can get more elevation than I have range with a 20 MoA rail. Life is good when that happens.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            i didn't read it all but go for clarity before magnification, and finer crosshairs, a few shooters here talk about how you can see the target better with a clearer scope, more than you can with just magnification.

Other than that IGNFI

I have only been mucking around out to about 1000 so far, but soon as I get time I will be setting up targets at 1500 and maybe a bit further meters.

I am currently using a S&B PMII in 12-50x56 and it seem to do the job ok so far....let you know when I get it out a bit more..........

Here is wife shooting it, but disregard the plastic table lol......we were only shooting to about 300m this day for a bit of fun

I can also recommend the spuhr mounts.....they are just amazing and don't move under the worst recoil.
          Here is a set holding a Nightforce on my colt before I changed it out to a S&B as well.......

Comment

• Vromme
            Vromme commented
            Editing a comment
            For anyone looking for a relative inexpensive way of getting 10-20moa out of rings/bases should look at Burris Zee rings with inserts.
            http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

They seem to get the job done.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Harb" post=35117

[/IMG]
            Why do you put such a scope on a .204 for? :P

Keeps it weighed down

Comment

I am thinking I am going to get a Sightron S3 10-50x60 at this point.
            It has the elevation needed.
            It has good glass
            My current one tracks perfect
            The price is right.

Now I need to decide what version of the 10-50 I will purchase.
            This one will definitely have 1/8th adjustment which may make my decision easier,

JH

Comment

• Pitty
              Pitty commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by John23" post=35568
              I am thinking I am going to get a Sightron S3 10-50x60 at this point.
              It has the elevation needed.
              It has good glass
              My current one tracks perfect
              The price is right.

Now I need to decide what version of the 10-50 I will purchase.
              This one will definitely have 1/8th adjustment which may make my decision easier,

JH
              Illuminated reticles John or FCH Dot ???? That's my next major purchase..

I just had a look at the website

I think it will be either the 1/8th dot or fine crosshair.
            The models with these reticles are the no bells and whistles models,

There is a Sightron custom shop now but it dose not work properly. I think the page may be still getting built.
            My MOA2 reticle on my 8-32 sub tensions are 2moa on 24 power and just over 1MOA on 32 power.
            If that reduces down to 0.5 or less MOA on 50 power it could be a perfect combination and the scope I need.

If not I will opt for the uncluttered fine reticles and use the target rings or dial wind.
            I am just not happy with the 1moa steps as I feel every hold is a compromise.

JH

Comment

Working...
            X