Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFP v FFP scopes.. pro's and cons?

As above...

What are the advantages / disadvantages of SFP v FFP scopes when used for target shooting and long range hunting?

By long range, I have access to a property where distance across gullies varies between 600 - 900 metres.

Ffp you can do accurate hold overs at any magnification, ffp zoom in on the reticle and target therefore at higher mag the cross hairs appear bigger....
    Sfp is less cluttered at high mag in my opinion, sfp zooms in on the target therefore the reticle is a constant size....

Also with ffp, you are able to range quickly at any mag....

The big question is do you prefer dialling (sfp) or holding over (ffp).... But in saying that you can dial and holdover with either....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      For non-military use the only advantage of a ffp scope is the ability to make quick second shot adjustments and use holdover at any magnification level.

The downside is the reticle can get too fine to use in the field in low light at low mag (you're better off with an illuminated reticle in this instance - which is more crap on the scope)

I do like my ffps despite this though

As said above FFP for fast second shot hold off, SFP if you want to see your targe at high mag.

To be honest the FFP fad is just that for most shooters, it has its uses and anyone using it for what it's designed for will swear by it but until they make affordable .05 mil adjustable FFP scopes with ultra thin reticles they will never rule target shooting imho

Steve

Comment

• Gregt
      Gregt commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve, you're right on the .1 mil adjustments. I was shooting the other night at targets, one click either way was either above or below the centre of the target, 3cm per click @ 300m. .05 mil would have been wonderful. 1/8 MOA would have done the job as well. FFP definitely has its place, it's great for being able to measure at any magnification but the reticle does end up very fat or thin at either end of the mag range. A combination of SFP crosshairs and FFP dots or hashes would be excellent but I imagine it would be quite a job to make.

I use a FFP scope on my .223. I originally went it looking for a SFP but they were on sale and only had the FFP left.

Function aside, FFP is more expensive and not everyone makes them, just look at nightforce (which incidentally get a lot of military use) they have what 1 or 2 FFP options the rest a SFP including the very popular NSX range.

When I bought my Vortex Viper PST in FFP I had not reason to get FFP over SFP but I'm glad I did. If I was shooting bench rest or F-Class or some other serious competitive discipline I would go with SFP for a few reasons. The finer recital at higher magnification on SFP scopes don't hide as much of your target, scopes with finer turret adjustments tend to come in SFP and again they are cheaper.

I like the FFP on my rifle for a few reasons but that said I don't NEED it. Again as above follow up shots are easy to hold over with less guesswork I like this for wind calls as I tend to dial for elevation and hold for wind. With FFP I know 5 MOA on the reticle is 5MOA on the target no matter the magnification and I like being able to measure the difference in POA and POI with the reticle. I find this means easier corrections for me. after a string of fire you can also use measure the holdover with the reticule and dial adjustments for further shooting if you don't want to keep holding. most of this can be done with a SFP but you need top be mindful of changing gradations on the reticle pattern as magnification changes. FFP takes a step out of the math if you are shooting in a calculated way.

You can use a FFP scope more easily for range estimation than a SFP as again you don't have to factor in magnifications but I'm not sure many people in the real world ever use that.

last point for FFP is you get bonus tacticool points.

Comment

Just a point against FFP, their advantage for ranging is completely negated by the use of a laser range finder. Reticle ranging will never approach the accuracy of a range finder

I got a leupold 1000i TBR for my birthday. It can be programmed with baliastic data and will give you drop in inches, moa or mil

Steve

Comment

• Super6one
        Super6one commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 6602steven" post=33926
        Just a point against FFP, their advantage for ranging is completely negated by the use of a laser range finder. Reticle ranging will never approach the accuracy of a range finder

I got a leupold 1000i TBR for my birthday. It can be programmed with baliastic data and will give you drop in inches, moa or mil

Steve
        True but range finders work off highly reflective objects so when you are shooting small targets a range finder won't pick up the exact distance, you have to range to a tree or something similar.... Ranging with ffp can be very accurate if you know what you are doing and also a range finder is just another thing to carry if you are the sort of person who doesn't like to carry much or use a bag....
    Working...
    X