How easy is it to damage a scope???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy is it to damage a scope???

Hey all. I have a dilemma and hope you can help me sort it out.

I recently changed ammo in my .223 and it shot like poo. Problem is, I dropped/knocked the rifle over after cleaning it between ammo changes and the scope may well have taken a good whack in the process. It's a Vortex Diamondback.

I had assumed the rifle just hated the new ammo so went and bought a couple of boxes of the old stuff that i was shooting reliably out to 200m and now it seems to be shooting like poo too. Just wondering if the knock on the scope may have damaged it internally as both lots of ammo are shooting like poo.

I can get a couple of shots touching at 100m (sometimes) then one left 2", then one right 3" & down 1.5". I'm wasting a lot of ammo (and collecting brass for reloads) trying to figure this out. One round of "sighting" i did was 2"high and off to the left, i adjusted the 2" (8 clicks) down (at 100m) and the next shot was 2" low of the bull!?!

I'm not the greatest shooter but it can't all be me as i was shooting this thing reliably before i ran out of ammo and decided to try something else.

I don't have another scope to try, other than my cheapo on the .22.
    Any ideas???

Cheers
    Gwion
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Sounds cactus to me. You get what you pay for, simple as that, even if part of what you pay for is lifetime warranty etc.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

I don't know much about vortex scopes but I would suggest that is would take quite a significant impact to affect a scope that much.

I would be checking everything else on the rifle is fine first, then I would remove and remount the scope, base and rings to ensure they are seating correctly and torqued appropriately then bore sight and re-sight with the old ammo, you will know within 4-5 shots if it's an ammo problem, if you still have the issue after this process then I would borrow another scope and test again to verify whether it is a scope or rifle damage issue.

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Brent65" post=32939
        I don't know much about vortex scopes but I would suggest that is would take quite a significant impact to affect a scope that much.

I would be checking everything else on the rifle is fine first, then I would remove and remount the scope, base and rings to ensure they are seating correctly and torqued appropriately then bore sight and re-sight with the old ammo, you will know within 4-5 shots if it's an ammo problem, if you still have the issue after this process then I would borrow another scope and test again to verify whether it is a scope or rifle damage issue.
        I was very anal about mounting it. Everything torqued up to spec, etc. I was just thinking, though, the only thing i didn't re fit was the pic rail it's self. Maybe i should look at that as well.

As for rifle damage; what could be the issue to look for? Nothing has changed since i set it up [other than a fairly mild knock, not a full drop or anything] and it was shooting sub MOA until then.

Oh, and Oddball; i hear ya. I know it was a pretty cheap scope and it will eventually live on the .22lr. It's all i could afford at the time. I'm hoping i don't have to send it back and be with out a scope will it get assessed and repaired/replaced! Another reason why i should never listen to my wife when it comes to spending money on equipment i rely on!!! At least buying that short term left me with enough to shell out on reloading gear.

Cheers
        Gwion

Gwion, can you test the scope by mounting it to another rifle?

Hope you can get it sorted out without too much hassle.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I've fallen hard onto rocks and gravel with my Vortex Diamondback between me and the ground, but it still came off better than I did - guess I was just lucky. Either way, Vortex has pretty much the best customer service / repair warranty about so just give them a ring in the worstr case scenario.

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by overkill" post=32973
        Gwion, can you test the scope by mounting it to another rifle?

Hope you can get it sorted out without too much hassle.
        Thanks Overkill, i hope so too.

The only other rifle i have is a .22 and mounting it on that wont give same results if the reticle is moving under recoil (as light as it may be in a 223), so i don't think that is going to help. I just re-torqued the pic rail screws. I'll reset the action screws as well and give it a whirl.

Crab, re: busted stock

Skip. I hear ya, re: not mucking to much! I am a bit suspect on the crown, though, Just by eye it doesn't look entirely uniform. As i said earlier, though, it was shooting pretty good before. Maybe that was just beginners luck and my aim was changing to match the change in POI! :lol:
        I have managed a few 150-200m head shots, though so i'm at a bit of a loss as to what it could be with the actual rifle.

Cheers

Gwion
      re #12
      The springs in scopes fail.....I think. Not necessarily a recoil thing. I shot F standard with a 223 and the shots printed at 10 or 11 o'clock. Altered for the centre and they printed at 4 or 5 o'clock. Nice little groups. Can make you think the rifle is accurate and it is but the scope won't put them in the centre.

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by okeefenokee" post=33011
        Gwion
        re #12
        The springs in scopes fail.....I think. Not necessarily a recoil thing. I shot F standard with a 223 and the shots printed at 10 or 11 o'clock. Altered for the centre and they printed at 4 or 5 o'clock. Nice little groups. Can make you think the rifle is accurate and it is but the scope won't put them in the centre.
        Righto, thanks Okee! The scope is new, so i'd hope this isn't the case, but if it is then i'l test out the famous VOrtex warraty and customer service!

I've just had the rifle apart, scope off, rail off.

Found a spot in the inletting that looked as though the bolt release catch (Howa) may have been hanging up on it; created some more clearance there.
        The pic rail was a little long and the scope may have been only just touching it on the objective bell; don't know if this would cause the isse but a file has put 2mm clearance there now (on the rail, not the bell housing! bah hah!).
        Re-torqued the pic-rail on the action, the scope rings to the rail and the action screws.

If any of these things were creating the problem, i don't know how i got any good shooting out of it in the first place!?!
        Anyway, a test fire when the rain eases will see if the issue is fixed. Next stop if still all over the place, try different scope. If the scope really is the prob, i just go "hello Vortex, i have a problem".

Thanks for all the help, people.
        Gwion

I've dropped Aimpoint and Meopta scopes....all it did was scratch them. Same POI.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• WhelanLad
        WhelanLad commented
        Editing a comment
        Hek, sometimes I think the same thing about my scopes.... but then I realise I develop a flinch while trying to hit bullseyes an paper from very still situations , thanks for my 300 WSM LOL

So I go back to my .270 quite a bit an at first it can look very similar to what your describing.... then when I finally get rid of the flinch an really get into breathing an trying to be very precise with trigger pull, breathing an scope sight whilst pressing trigger, I end up bangin out nice little groups again.... An so the cycle begins again.. LOL!

I did drop my Remington 700 when it was brand new, with a Loopy VX2 x50 ontop, I dint the barrel an the turrets but thank fwork the scope survived an is still the best scope I own.

I've also effed up an while side mounting a scope on a Lever gun, ended up winding the scope past the limit an yep.. busted that thing. that was a while back when I was young an way too eager.

Fair chance something may of busted off in the impact, it really is hard to say.. Wont hurt to whip it off an see if it rattles... rattles are bad in scopes .

If you were shooting good groups before an now its swinging them around then its fairly safe to say that's whats happened. :/

Leupold are my favourite scope.

cheers
        wl

My 17hmr with japanese tasco slipped out of its gun bag onto concrete i hadnt noticed the end was unzipped and I was juggling something else . It put a decent mark on the scope and had to be rezeroed it was barely on a a4 at 50 yards. It has continued to shoot like a champion ever since thou .
      Some cheaper scopes have weaker tubes and can be damaged easily if tightened excessively or unevenly .

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=33219
        My 17hmr with japanese tasco slipped out of its gun bag onto concrete i hadnt noticed the end was unzipped and I was juggling something else . It put a decent mark on the scope and had to be rezeroed it was barely on a a4 at 50 yards. It has continued to shoot like a champion ever since thou .
        Some cheaper scopes have weaker tubes and can be damaged easily if tightened excessively or unevenly .
        Hey Cruiser.
        That's another confirmation that most scopes are not going to be affected by the sort of drop/knock it took. Glad to hear it.

The Vortex Diamondback cost me roughtly $250-300 so it is a cheaper scope in the greater scheme of things. However, i was pedantic about the way i mounted it. I bought a Wheeler scope mounting kit, torqued the rings to the rail to the wheeler specs, lapped the rings then fitted the scope and tightened the screws in a gradual rotating (from opposite screw to opposite screw that is, like doing up wheel nuts) manner and again to the wheeler specs for scope ring screws.

Cheers

Gwion,
      A lot of scopes will survive a lot of drops and a lot of damage, some wont. It really is that simple. Often a damaged scoped after dropping can shoot a good group, and can be zeroed, but from then on at random times, not hold zero, and suddenly jump, or alter after each shot somewhat.

About 6 months ago I was checking zero on a rifle I had not used for ages. It would not shoot well at all,unlike it once did, and adjustments were totally inconsistent. I knew the scope was cheap, so removed it at the range. I then replaced it with a quality scope I removed from another rifle and voila, back to holding a good group and a zero.

Don't mess with your crown. If you don't know how to do this correctly, with the right tools, take it to a smith. The crown is essential for good accuracy.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Oddball" post=33330
        Gwion,
        A lot of scopes will survive a lot of drops and a lot of damage, some wont. It really is that simple. Often a damaged scoped after dropping can shoot a good group, and can be zeroed, but from then on at random times, not hold zero, and suddenly jump, or alter after each shot somewhat.

About 6 months ago I was checking zero on a rifle I had not used for ages. It would not shoot well at all,unlike it once did, and adjustments were totally inconsistent. I knew the scope was cheap, so removed it at the range. I then replaced it with a quality scope I removed from another rifle and voila, back to holding a good group and a zero.

Don't mess with your crown. If you don't know how to do this correctly, with the right tools, take it to a smith. The crown is essential for good accuracy.

Thanks,

Oddball
        Cheers Oddball. I wont screw with the crown. If and when i decide to do anything crown-wise i will get it done by a smith.

Hopefully the scope is ok. I shot about 20 rounds through it last night/evening at 100m and it was shooting a consistent pattern. We will see. I wont shoot at any animals again until i am confident that both rifle and scope are shooting tight & consistent.

Cheers again

The importer should have plenty of them in stock it didn't take long to get mine . I would order one of those and chase something superseded for it . As you can see its a tiny screw any impacts or pressure on the stop and it will likely break . Otherwise they are a pretty good value for money gun just ask bbc or Scott . I have seen it mentioned else where about a better screw for them will see if I can find where .
      I just dropped mine of at the gunsmiths he pulled the old screw out ordered and fitted it inside of a week or two cost me $20 bucks . I was going to do it myself but he insisted I think he got it with the long nose pliers .

Comment

Working...
      X