Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leupold VxIII Boone and crocket reticle

Hi all, new member migrating from shooting.com.au
    I am thinking about purchasing a vxIII 4-14.5x50 with a Boone and crocket reticle to go on my. 22-250 fox smasher.
    Anyone had any experience with this particular reticle? My basic understanding is that most general hunting cartridges are broken up into 3 groups all of which are used at different power settings for ballistics from 200-500yds (fairly sure this should be accurate enough for hunting) My mate is looking to sell me the scope second hand (like new) for $550
    let me know what you think!

I've got the Boone & Crockett reticle on my VX3L 4.5-14x56 and it's a beauty. Supposedly if you zero it as instructed it has a notch for a potential 'pre dialed in' (if you will), i think this only applies to the illuminated model.
    I was originally leaning towards the duplex however the Boone & Crockett was nice and fine on the entire reticle. You shouldn't have any issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by .357" post=28350
      Hi all, new member migrating from shooting.com.au
      I am thinking about purchasing a vxIII 4-14.5x50 with a Boone and crocket reticle to go on my. 22-250 fox smasher.
      Anyone had any experience with this particular reticle? My basic understanding is that most general hunting cartridges are broken up into 3 groups all of which are used at different power settings for ballistics from 200-500yds (fairly sure this should be accurate enough for hunting) My mate is looking to sell me the scope second hand (like new) for $550
      let me know what you think!
      for a flat shooter like the 22-250 you would be better off with the varmint hunters the sub tension is different for the aiming marks

Comment

I personally can't stand all that clutter in my scopes for hunting purposes - I'm a KISS type person. I wonder how these sorts of things go for general hunting type situations like fox whistling/spotlighting etc, no doubt would be fine for situations where you can sit and take your time ranging distances etc but that's not often the case for general hunting situations where quick shots are often needed.

I shoot a 250 as well and I just use the standard type reticle and shoot foxes out around 300-350m at times and I just put the X-hair on the top of their shoulder/head depending on which way they are facing me and let rip, most of em fall over, occasionally you miss, that's life.

By the way the Boone and Crocket reticle doesn't look too bad compared to some I've seen but still not what I would want in a scope for general hunting type use.
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

The Varmint Hunter reticle is superior to the Boon & Croket reticle in my view. I have two rifles wearing 8.5-25x50 vx3's with Varmint Hunter reticles, one in .243 the other 300wm.

For my two cents I'd get the Varmint Hunter reticle.

Don't listen to Varmintor he's a bit of a hick. :lol:

Comment

Working...
          X