Fixed 4x or 6x scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed 4x or 6x scopes

Hi all I'm thinking if getting my Lithgow/slazenger model 55 drilled and tapped and was after a decent fixed powed scope for it, up to the 5-600$ mark. Just looking for people's opinions on any they may have used or own and ones to avoid. Cheers in advance.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a huge selection in "decent" fixed scopes available under $600. leupold have the fx range meopta have a few have a look at (cameralandny.com) and some Nikon monarch and prostaff fixed scopes but harder to find. I think Natchezss.com had a few a while back. Good luck with tracking down a nice one I know I ended up with a variable that spends all it's life locked on 4x.

Comment

I'd be looking at the leupold fx range but why not a 2-7 or 3-9 variable? The VXii range is quite compact and lightweight as well as being well within your budget.

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 6602steven" post=24736
        I'd be looking at the leupold fx range but why not a 2-7 or 3-9 variable? The VXii range is quite compact and lightweight as well as being well within your budget.

Steve
        Yeah, I wanted a fixed 4x or 6x scope myself for my .22lr a while back. My reasoning is that I wanted a scope that was compact and lightweight to compliment the compact and lightweight nature of the rifle however there wasn't many around to choose from; tried a Chinese cheapy in 4x32 however the glass was pretty crappy so I went looking for something else.

I have Leupolds on my centrefires so started looking at the Leupold Rimfire range of scopes (these scopes have their parallax set at 50m/60yds for the non-adjustable models, which is important since your typical shooting ranges for the .22lr will be from 30-75m or so; most non-adjustable centrefire scopes will have their parallax set for 150yds or more, which will mean that you'll be getting parallax error at the closer rimfire ranges); was going to go a 4x however I saw that I cound get a 2-7x for the same price and there was very little difference in size and weight between the two, so in the end I went for the Leupold VX1 Rimfire 2-7x28 and am very happy with the results. Compact, lightweight surprisingly good optics for the price (though not in the same class as my VX2s, it's not far off), I find that it's the perfect scope for a .22lr hunting rifle.

Here's the link to the Leupold Rimfire range at the online store where I got mine, just to give you an idea what variety is available.

http://www.theriflescopestore.com/leairrisc.html

Mate I put one of these leupolds on my ruger 308 and its a great hunting scope. Crystal clear and good quality with no problems since I bought it. A lot less to go wrong with too compared to the variable ones

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Leupold-FX-II-6X36MM-WD-DPLX-MAT-rifle-scope-part-58830-/320933980431?pt=AU_Cameras_Telescopes_Binoculars&hash=item4ab927e90f
      They reckon it always rain's after a dry spell

Comment

• portaggression
        portaggression commented
        Editing a comment
        Think I'm going to go for the fx2 4x33 for $300 seems to match my requirements best. I'll keep looking around whilst my rifle is in getting done though cheers for your help everyone. http://www.theriflescopestore.com/leullivxii33.html

Have a look at the Jap Tasco's too mate, you can usually pick them up for peanuts and they are bloody good, I've got one sitting on my Mod 2 Brno for around 30yrs now and have only adjusted it once in all that time (pulled the stock off it to adjust the trigger and POA was slightly off) so a quick click or 2 and its back where it should be.

You can often find them in the 2nd hand bin in gunshops - seriously have a good look through one and you will soon see they are bloody good value. I've got a 6x Tasco sitting here but she's going on the Daughters 22 when I pick it up sometime next week, also have a Tasco 3-9 Variable sitting on my Sako L461AI 222, it too seems pretty bloody good compared to the Redfield, Older Jap Tasco's etc, not much in them in daylight conditions or night for that matter.
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Try looking at the weaver K series, they're very light, don't cost much and have nice glass for the $

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey mate, I use a FX 6x36 on my hmr and i thinks it's great. Same sight picture, same eye relief every time. It's only used for hunting so the 150yrd parallax is a non issue. Also 6x is plenty of magnification for hunting.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Try the Sightron S11 6x42 , l have one on my CZ 452 22LR ,glass is clear and the price is right $226.00US

Hi,
        I have an FX11 6x on one of my .22s and it is very good. I also have a 4x Kahles and a 4x Nickel. You can often pick up a used german scope in 4x or 6x at very reasonable prices. Just make sure of the tube diameter as some are in 26mm which will require lapping of the rings.
        Regards
        Les

Comment

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/evanston/camping-hiking/meopta-6x42-artemis-2000-scope-new/1022981594
          Bargain

Comment

Working...
          X