Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scopes and 308 rifles

http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

So how do you know if a scope is rated to withstand the recoil of a 308 rifle. Does this scope which claims to be "shock proof" qualify.

What kind of rings do you need for this scope. Most scopes come with rings. Are these good enough or are the kind of rings you get with your tikka just the bells and whistles if you are shooting a 308.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

You shouldn't have any issue with reputable companies, if you have any questions send the company an email or speak to your local gun shop. Rings are really up to you, but the standard Tikka rings should work just fine. If you don't like the aluminium Tikka rings, get yourself some good quality steel rings like the leupold or optilock or similar.

Comment

• Jester308
      Jester308 commented
      Editing a comment
      The redfields are a entry level hunting scope and are from memory a replacement for the Leupold vxI range. They will be fine for a hunting rifle.

The tikka factory rings are ok and should get you in business,however they are no means high quality, I have seen many with the cap screws tear out. There's a reason they're free...

JJ

Firstly there's nothing wrong with the tikka rings, they are made from high grade aluminium, have a recoil pin fitted and are fine on a .308. The .308 is not considered a heavy recoiling rifle so both the red field and the standard rings should be fine.

"I have seen many with the cap screws tear out"

I've never heard of this, are you suggesting stripped threads or something else?

Steve

Comment

• shooter3975
      shooter3975 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=24751
      Firstly there's nothing wrong with the tikka rings, they are made from high grade aluminium, have a recoil pin fitted and are fine on a .308. The .308 is not considered a heavy recoiling rifle so both the red field and the standard rings should be fine.

"I have seen many with the cap screws tear out"

I've never heard of this, are you suggesting stripped threads or something else?

Steve
      Sounds like over-tightening to me... A steel cap screw shouldn't sheer in aluminium, but possible I guess.

• Laflamme
      Laflamme commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=24751

Steve
      recoil pin I confess you got me I don't know what that is.

• Jester308
      Jester308 commented
      Editing a comment

Yes. Stripped cap screws as well as the dovetail mount screws stripping and some threading. Over tightening could be a possibility in a few cases but when fitted at the shop and having the same issues could suggest an underlying issue. This was about 5 years ago, so it could have been rectified since then.

JJ

The smart money on scopes at the moment is on Zeiss Conquest. You can get a 3 -9 x 40 for just over $500 that will outperform a a more expensive Leupold VX-3 in low light. At those prices I'd be taking the opportunity to get good glass. I have a Redfield spotting scope, it is the last thing I will buy from that company. Hazy, cheap shit.
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

im sorry but this is strictly entry level for me. If I can knock down a deer/goat/pig sized animal at 400-500m ill be laughing and consider that the height of precision. only because I refuse to walk 400-500m for a rabbit.
      "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

• Shotgunner
        Shotgunner commented
        Editing a comment
        It is less about being able to shoot at those ranges, which are way too far for most shooters anyway, than it is about being able to see them well enough to shoot at 100metres half an hour before dark. That is where you good glass pays dividends. Deer in particular are so hard to find and get close to anyway that it would seriously give me the shits to miss a shooting opportunity for the sake of another couple of hundred dollars on a good scope. If you have to buy cheap though I would get a Leopold VX-1 instead of a Redfield. Only about thirty bucks more expensive I remember correctly and are better quality.

Big Thank you to steve that was a great answer complete with visuals. thanks

Comment

Working...
      X