Importing laser sight & which is better??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing laser sight & which is better??

Hi guys, I know there was heaps of info on the old site about laser sights but there doesn't seem to be any here yet.
    Also my apologies mods if this is in the wrong area?
    So I am contemplation getting one for spotlighting & also to be used on my shoty for shooting slugs.
    Do people who have owned & used them think they are worth getting & do you think the green is more visible than the red??

Then the question comes to importing them, I have read that 1nm is the limit for hand held devises but would a laser sight be classed as a hand held??

I am looking at a 5nm so would I need to obtain a permit to import one with that power??

Cheers in advance.

Aus.

I've used lasers for a bit of a laugh spotlighting. But they're only really good for pigs and bigger animals unless you mount them directly over or under your barrel. greens brighter than red - you can see it in broad daylight but red is fine... Make sure you don't shine it on the animals eye- they'll run.

I think you're allowed a 5mw for hunting from memory?

Red lasers are also smaller and more robust than green ones since the diode actually produces red light and is pretty tough. The green lasers start off being some other colour and have to be converted to green

Comment

• Shooting Sports
      Shooting Sports commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by nuthead" post=16816
      Red lasers are also smaller and more robust than green ones since the diode actually produces red light and is pretty tough. The green lasers start off being some other colour and have to be converted to green
      Green Laser diodes are just as robust as Red Laser diodes. The colour change is not done by optical means but by using a non-linear frequency doubler which alters the infra-red laser light to visible GREEN at the chip level. The process results in a device that is just as reliable as a native red laser diode.
Working...
X