Lapping Rings and Leveling the Scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapping Rings and Leveling the Scope

For any newer shooters out there (like myself), don't under-estimate how much difference lapping rings and correctly leveling the scope can make! There is plenty of info out there as to the whys and hows of this phenomenon.

When i first put on the new (el-cheapo) scope on my .22, it shot pretty good, accuracy wise, as i had taken some pains to level the receiver and scope. All was good until i had to remove the scope for some reason and when i put it back on i was a bit over confident or in a rush. I thought i had leveled it but i couldn't get consistent groups for the life of me. Sighting in on a bench at 50 was one thing, shooting from various ranges was a whole different story.

Enter my new "scope mounting kit". Just arrived yesterday. Includes lapping bar/compount, alignment tool, a very simple leveling device and a torque wrench. You probably know the one but i'm not about product endorsement here. Thought i better get this as i am planning to set up a couple of new rifle soon.

Followed instructions re: lapping the rings, used the leveling device and torqued up the mounting system as specified. Set up and resighted. Just shot 3 x 5 shot groups in just on 1/4 inch (only at 25m next to the shed as it's too windy to make it worth while on the 50m range).

Previously i used the levels off my 4" set square but this little scope leveling device was so much easier and a far more accurate method.

Just thought this info may help someone avoid the frustration i have had recently.
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

EDIT: RUSHED THE POST AND PUT IN WRONG SECTION!! SORRY TO ADMIN!!

I just pinched a couple of images from another site to illustrate the effects of an un-leveled scope and rifle can't in general, but unsure if it's kosher to re-post it here so will remove it if necessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cantedhold2x350.gif
Views:	4
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	31964

Click image for larger version

Name:	figure2x.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	31965

Cheers
    Gwion
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      What leveling/lapping kit did you get?

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Gwion" post=16352
      EDIT: RUSHED THE POST AND PUT IN WRONG SECTION!! SORRY TO ADMIN!!

I just pinched a couple of images from another site to illustrate the effects of an un-leveled scope and rifle can't in general, but unsure if it's kosher to re-post it here so will remove it if necessary.

Cheers
      Gwion
      I think its fine to quote or reproduce material from other sources as long as you reference where you got it from

I never knew about cant before I read it somewhere on the internet I used to just tilt he scope over to get the next target lined up. No wonder I was missing all the time. I used to just blame myself for being a crap shot
    Its a bit more work to get the scope perfectly level with rifle but so worth the effort.

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by The Jet" post=17216
      Its a bit more work to get the scope perfectly level with rifle but so worth the effort.
      You're not wrong. Can be very finicky indeed getting the scope just right. Took about 1/2 hour today on my 223. Every time i tightened the rings it pulled the scope just a little off level so frustrating.

Came good in the end, after my wife came out to see if everything was ok because i used some very loud and course language at about the 20 min mark!

It's now torqued down, level, bore sighted and waiting to be zeroed tomorrow.
Working...
X