Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24mm objective lens - spotlighting

Hi all

I am considering trying a Vortex 1-4 X 24 scope on a 223 for spotlighting. The scope is marketed as suited for quick acquisition but I am wondering whether the smaller objective lens will not allow enough light in for decent performance under spotlighting conditions?

If anyone has used a similar set up please give me some feedback!

Thanks

Gibbo

I have no experience of the scope you mention, but I know the Simmons WTC 1.5-5 x 20 has very clear optics & works well with lamps. I guess your ranges will also be a factor ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbo" post=11607
      Hi all

I am considering trying a Vortex 1-4 X 24 scope on a 223 for spotlighting. The scope is marketed as suited for quick acquisition but I am wondering whether the smaller objective lens will not allow enough light in for decent performance under spotlighting conditions?

If anyone has used a similar set up please give me some feedback!

Thanks

Gibbo
      you'll be fine - the exit pupil will still be 5mm at 4x which is huge (i use a 1-4x20 leupold VXR all the time)

spotlighting is not really low light shooting - the spotlight is like a small sun out to 150m for the halogen type and 200m+ for the HID type!!

Comment

What size target and at what range?
        4x magnification would good for close targets, but if you are shooting in open country you may find more magnification would help..

The 223 is good for foxes to 150m with a good stable rest and enough practice.
        At that range I like more magnification. 12x mag isn't too much for a 223

BUT 12x or even 9x mag would be too dark with a 24mm objective.

In the end it's entirely your call.

Comment

Working...
        X