Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS

G'day fellas. Decided I'm probably going to run a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 (yet to decide on reticle) on my Remington 700 XCR Long Range Tactical .308 (yet to buy ). Want to pick one up second hand but struggling to find many on the market so may have to bite the bullet and purchase a brand spanka. In that case, where would you guys recommend online or in store.

However what other scope options would you recommend for a similar price point? Rifle is a field target rifle, shooting targets form 100m to 1000m and any unsuspecting fox/rabbit/cat/pig that wonders onto my range

Hey mate
    I'm looking at getting the same scope soon. Didn't really want to spend that much but it's the sort of scope you are going to keep, and be confident that it will never give you trouble. If you do decide to sell it, they hold their value well. In terms of online or in store, the price is pretty much the same. I'll probably get mine in store as it's the cheapest I've found.
    Except for the Vortex Razor (they're FFP so not really applicable), there is no other scope in the NF price range worth considering- and I've done a fair bit of looking. If you want better than a Nightforce in a tactical style scope, you have to start looking at S&B, Steiner, Kahles, etc.
    There is nothing wrong with the Bushnell Elite tactical, Sightron SIII, Viper PST scopes either. They will do the job for half the price. But anyone that says they can compete with a Nightforce, especially the Sightron, is kidding themselves.

Are you going for MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL? I'm probably going MOA/NP-R1 as I'm not keen on the line thickness on the new MOAR

Comment

Hey mate
      Check out usedguns.com.au, pretty sure there were a few NXS up for sale on there.
      Other options maybe a Vortex razor, bushnells new TRMR or cheaper HDMR. I would do lots of research into what may fit you better though. Lots of reticles choices, mil or moa adjustmets, weight, tube diameters, list goes on and on. Plenty of optics in that price range also to choose from.

Good luck,

Comment

I have a Nightforce NXS F1 3.5 - 15 by 50 on my 260 rem. Awesome scope. The reticle is in the First Focal plane, Most other NXS scopes are second focal plane.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5-15x50F1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	26100

Comment

hey mate PM your best price and location. Are you prepared to buy new?

Comment

Make sure you get it with zero stop, comes in handy when shooting long range and you forget the number of clicks from your zero

Comment

I have one with zero stop. MOA turrets. Npr1 ret, I think, maybe 2. Just about to put it up for sale. Have has it for about 12 months. Selling just to put a Nightforce competition scope on my target rifle. Pm me if interested

Comment

Yes the Nightforce competition scope is a really nice scope so clear , I had to trade in a rifle to purchase mine but I couldnt be happier.

Comment

What does everyone think of the new ATACR? Worth the extra coin? From everything I've heard, the ED glass is better than the NXS glass. How much though, I'de have to look at them side by side. I don't need 120MOA of elevation though, plus you need 34mm rings It's also a bit heavy but almost an inch shorter.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They look alright and for $2540 that I've seen them for it's not too bad.. If you really want to spend some extra coin try the Nightforce B.E.A.S.T

Stupid me didn't realise the nxs range only came in SFP. Now I'm trying to work out if I can be assed with a SFP scope.

Will send out some pm's when I get home.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nightforce F1. Is first focal plane

Ive got 3 nightforce scopes, two of them being the nxs 8-32X56 and i love them! Definitly recommend them for spot lighting or long range shooting.. To answer your question, If you can, always buy brand new... check out QLD gun exchange, or cleaver or clayton's?? see who can do the best deal.

Comment

Damn, now want the F1 but its added and extra $1000 to the price tag which is out of my league. Time for some serious thought.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      take your time mate and something will pop up. It took me 12 months to decide which scope I was going to out on my Tikka .204ruger. It will take me another 12 months to decide what scope i'll put on my .300wm when I get it back from my smithy.

So many choices out there these days. I've had 6 months of waiting and time to decide what I'll put on the new gun.
                    Still trying to way up the FFP vs SFP advantages/disadvantages. If I decide to go FFP I think I'll get the Razor as I don't reckon the F1 brings much to the table for $600 more. Does come with rings though.
                    In terms of SFP either the 5.5-22 NXS or the ATACR. I'm liking the ATACR to be honest. Might have to sell a few things to fund it

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
                      SmoothOperator_87 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Verminator" post=12205
                      So many choices out there these days. I've had 6 months of waiting and time to decide what I'll put on the new gun.
                      Still trying to way up the FFP vs SFP advantages/disadvantages. If I decide to go FFP I think I'll get the Razor as I don't reckon the F1 brings much to the table for $600 more. Does come with rings though.
                      In terms of SFP either the 5.5-22 NXS or the ATACR. I'm liking the ATACR to be honest. Might have to sell a few things to fund it
                      Ffp = razor

Sfp = atacr

Atacr is new an glass is said to be a lot better than nxs

I managed to compare a 5.5-22x56 NXS, the ATACR and a Bushnell elite ERS side-by-side today. ATACR- amazing glass! Very noticeable step up from the NXS.
                    I was very impressed by the Bushnell too- that G2 FFP reticle is well thought out, simple, clean and looks to be easier and fast to use.
                    I think the ATACR has won me over! Watch this space....
                    Sorry for taking over the thread Youngun! I'll get back in my box now.....

Comment

• Snag
                      Snag commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does the ATACR have the same zero stop as the NSX?

Yeah. It comes standard. I would like to see a limiter on the windage turret in the future too.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Buddy, I have an ATACR and an NXS 5.5 - 22, bought them within a couple of months of each other, went with the 5.5 - 22 as well as the ATACR because I couldn't justify the expense of 2 ATACRs but I wish I had the extra coin at the time....

Nothing wrong with either scope, the glass is better on the ATACR and it comes standard with the Zero stop, the mil/mil adjustments with MilR reticle are magic, particularly with the inverted T for ranging/measurement.

I have the 5.5 - 22, 8 - 32 and 12 - 42 x 56 NXS' each with MOA adjustments and the MLR reticle, all of which I like for my purposes, which are mainly target work, the ATACR is the one that I use on my spotlighting rifle and I have that scope on that rifle because it has the best light gathering ability of them and the zero stop which is brilliant on the back of the ute in the dark, wind it down 'til it stops and that's your zero (I usually set it at 100m)

I prefer 2nd FP scopes, I had a Premier Heritage 5 - 25 FFP and it was virtually unusable for my purposes below about 11x because the reticle was just too fine.

That's my experience, my view is that if you are going to buy an FFP scope, make sure you have a good look through one and don't just go on the hype, it's not something everybody needs, if you adjust elevation from your elevation turret you don't need the mildots to be "true" for elevation holdover purposes, and if you use the mildots for windage you soon get used to having them at 12.5x and using the 1/2 mil hashes in the reticle for "full" mils and if you can, wind up to 25x and you have the mil reticle true.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer for you, whatever you do, the scope will probably last long enough for you to hand down to your kids....so you want it to be right!!

cheers.

Dave
                  Working...
                  X