X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom End Range Finder Query

Hi All,

Some one asked me this today.

No doubt that the better range finders do not actually display the line of sight, but rather the horizontal distance. Simple trig for a device that can detect angle of inclination / declination.

But what about the cheapies that may not have this ability?

Do they give a reading in Distance A or the correct reading of Distance B?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RangeFinderQuery.png
Views:	5
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	45400

distance A..... some android phones (and probably the iphone) let you measure the angle anyway - Shooter (or is it strelock) has it built into the app - I'm not 100% sure how accurate it is though

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      All range finders measure distance A.
      If the range finder supported angular measurement and or Ballistic Angular Correction, it would be a key selling point and would be clearly stated on the packaging.

In most hunting cases "distance B" is not an issue if the target was + - 50m in elevation at say 300m, the error would be about 1" or 25mm,

If the target Distance A was 300m and Distance B was 25m then it would be an issue easily corrected using a 100m range setting with about 2" drop.
      This mostly impacts close range bow hunters and others with low velocity high arc projectiles.

More important features you should look for are ranging beyond 400M on non reflective or passive targets like animal fur.
      you can comfortably shoot to 300m without a range finder.

Name:	AngularShooting.png
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	45520
      Attached Files

I have a cheapy, bought from Anaconda when they were on $60.00 spec from $499, I think they were overpriced at $60!

It is lucky to measure a or b in fact the only time you can measure distance on smallish game is if they are standing near something large and solid (like a big tree or fence post. Predictably the futher back the worse it is. I would be certain that the cheapies will only give you A, even if they do have the incline/decline feature I cant imagine them doing the maths, unless they are advertised that way (but I could be wrong).

I will one day upgrade to something like a Leica. I dont use need them enough atm to warrant going that way yet.

Comment

Dam good point actually.
      I know where my rifles shoot at all the measured ranges so off a range I don`t guess them that well as the range fixed points.
      I do know my ammo and my rifle and if some thing I want to ping off is standing under a tree or some thing I can accurately range to within a couple of meters it will likely be in serious danger at least and dead at best.
      The Varmint reticules are equally as useful with windage indicators so yeah when ferals carry wind flags it will be all good.
      Mirage is no drama as it can be seen in the scope anyway.

Attached Files
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Handy that those goats are standing right under that flag. What a bit of luck, there, NF.... :P

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by NoFerals" post=134172
        Dam good point actually.
        I know where my rifles shoot at all the measured ranges so off a range I don`t guess them that well as the range fixed points.
        I do know my ammo and my rifle and if some thing I want to ping off is standing under a tree or some thing I can accurately range to within a couple of meters it will likely be in serious danger at least and dead at best.
        The Varmint reticules are equally as useful with windage indicators so yeah when ferals carry wind flags it will be all good.
        Mirage is no drama as it can be seen in the scope anyway.

I think you will be find holding dead on there NF :lol: No need to account for the wind there
        Attached Files

Originally posted by Snag" post=32713
      Hi All,

Some one asked me this today.

No doubt that the better range finders do not actually display the line of sight, but rather the horizontal distance. Simple trig for a device that can detect angle of inclination / declination.

But what about the cheapies that may not have this ability?

Do they give a reading in Distance A or the correct reading of Distance B?

I used this app for 3 year's ( Theodolite ) with a cheap ebay range finder ( then punched in the angle in the isnipe or Ballistc app. to get the correct drop. Worked for me till i got my good ranger

It's also got a few more option's. also a ranger ( mil ) retical also inbuilt in the app. ( the app's a bit daunting at first but once you get the hang of it, it work's well. for $4 it's $4 well spent. Not sure if this is on Android's?

edit: Just found a you tube vid of it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8qH0_DTLyc

Found another one for it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1vG3-nbobw
      Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        although I dont really like relying on smartphones in the field - thats a pretty cool app!! especially as it gives you azimuth if you ever needed to use it

this is what I use (my rangefinder gives you angles) - or you can use a slope doper or anything that reads an angle really...

Name:	angleshootingreferencesheet.png
Size:	566.6 KB
ID:	140984

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends on what you call cheap Send-it??

I have one of the Leupold TBR range(600) & it calculates the drop for an ascending or descending shots.

Opinions on the Leupold models interest me.
      My budget does not run to top of the range products ...never will.
      I like my VX3 Scopes and they do all I need .

I don`t shoot serious very small groups so a B grade range shooter is me.
      Knowing distance would be good say around 800 / 900 max yds would be plenty.
      I shoot over flat country mostly and much is like the pic in the previous post ...100 /200 yds and sticks.
      Open country is still on wate rpoint flats and open country ..just with out the sticks > some times :S .
      B*******y goats always stand out under the surrounding sticks so they need a wake up now and then.
      That`s where a`range finder would be good.
      Emphasis on permanent sleep rather than wake em up

[center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• headspace
        headspace commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in the market for a decent range finder but don't see the need to go for things like lieca's and Swofki's. I know those things are good but I do not need to range things that are more than 400m away. As for 1400m forget it. Redfield and Bushnell make good gear, any reason why I'd need to spend more than $3-400? I'm not into paying for what I don't need.
        JD

don't do what I did.
      I bought a cheap one, it being a Redfield 550.
      I found that after a while it wouldn't read anything past 200 yards reliably.
      so I then bought a Leopold 1000.
      its miles ahead as its brighter, clearer, and will 'Reliably' range things as far as its name says it should.
      do yourself a favour, spend a tiny bit more than first planned and appreciate the better quality item.
      these days you should find what you want / need, for around $550 to $650.

Comment

• headspace
        headspace commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm looking a Bushnell at the moment. I think the budget has gone up a bit, but I don't want to but crap. On the other hand I don't want to pay for stuff I'll never use. A loopy is not quite out of the picture tho.
        JD

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=165658
        don't do what I did.
        I bought a cheap one, it being a Redfield 550.
        I found that after a while it wouldn't read anything past 200 yards reliably.
        so I then bought a Leopold 1000.
        its miles ahead as its brighter, clearer, and will 'Reliably' range things as far as its name says it should.
        do yourself a favour, spend a tiny bit more than first planned and appreciate the better quality item.
        these days you should find what you want / need, for around $550 to $650.
        In my experience the biggest difference in price is mostly optical quality and physical size assuming they range as described. The leupy 1k is very compact and has a bright picture and should run about 6 bills. I use a cheaper unit that was just over 2 bills. Its about 30% bigger in all dimensions and gets me just north of 900 so far on larger animals like a horse or cow. This is the actual aninal as they were skylined. Haven't had the opportunity to try further yet. I do like how the 1k puts everything on the view simultaneouly where mine requires cycling thru for beeline, angle, corrected distance. Not a major issue as i use Shooter on android for all the nitty gritty anyway.

Would i like better? Yep. Do i regret the budget lrf? Not yet but im sure the day will come and i just hope that day the Aussie dollar is strong and they raise the import tax threshold 3 fold.
    Working...
    X