Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swarovski EL 10x42 Bino's with Rangefinder

Gday all,

Not sure if I am in the right topic but I saw no where to start a Bino topic. A while ago I was looking for a pair of Leica's the new Geovids HD with Metre/YD rangefinder. It seems impossible to get them in the time that I need them.

I have now found a pair of Swarovski EL 10x42 with rangefinder at a good price and was wondering do these match up to the Leica's?

I notice the Leica's and Zeiss have this new HD lens and Swarovski don't, so is the glass in the Swarovski as goo as the other two?

Does the rangefinder compare?

Cheers guys....

I havent compared side by side, but the Swarovskis are supurb. Make you feel like superman. I have a great pair of Japan made 'Kowa' binos the glass on the Swaros are a bit better.

The glass is amazing and rangefinder seems to work well. If I could find them for the right $ I wouldnt mind a pair. I think member Shauno thought the Leicas were better from memory. You may be able to find his and others thoughts on the other site if you do some searching.

Here found it:

Leica Geovid

If you do get them let us know your thoughts on them.

The benefit of a combo is obviously not having to carry 2 sets of glass (range and bino) and being able to quickly range.

My biggest concern with combos is weight. I can spend a lot of time behind glass and holding them up for long periods can be a pain. I wouldnt want them much heavier than normal quality binos.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate, I actually spoke with Shauno a while back when I was looking for the Leica's.

I posted this on the other site and having a think I dont think optically you can go wrong with either the Swaro or the Zeiss or the Leica the Leica has got the better laser and ballistic computer though and also dont worry about range or metres version because its both you can change it in the menu for the Leica that is.

Im biased because ive got the Leica HD-B and to be honest the optics on the Leica are the best I've used for clarity and just a crystal clear image. The laser range finder is very good it locks on straight away ive had it out to around 800m. Ive looked through the Zeiss Victory and the Swaro but only outside the gun shop. The Leica has a better range at 1800m or so which is good not for the range but the smaller laser divergence at the range your likely to use them at. Its also got the real time temperature and angle and pressure which it uses for the ballistic calculation which is different at sea level compared to say 5000ft in the Vic Alps.

But if you cant find any of the Leica's around then the Swaro if you have a good price for it less than say $2700 is reasonable price then get them as there good and the ones at this level not a great deal difference really.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      The other thing is the Leica HD-B is one of those things where I didnt actually mind paying $3000 for them cause they turned out really good and I was surprised by the optics just as clear or clearer than the S&B scopes ive got.

Thanks for the feed back. Personally I think it would be hard to determine the difference between glass quality but I do agree that different makes have different features.

I have used Leica's in the field they were 8x and they were superb. I was also lucky enough to be given a demo pair Zeiss 10x with rangefinder to field test an they were also very good. The only thing I do not like about the Zeiss was the rangefinder was very faint when coming up in the lens.

I'm told the Swarovski Range finder is fantastic and I like the option of the range finder holding distance on a moving target.

Shauno your opinions are greatly appreciated and my best mate and I will discuss which way we going to lean.

I'll be in touch...

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I found that about the Zeiss as well when I tested them very faint. I like the feel of the Leica they feel very rugged and I liked in the Manual that comes with them it says to wash the dirt of the lens dump them in a creek haha

ok so we picked up a pair of the Swarovski EL 10x42 today and they are fantastic. They have 5 settings for brightness on the rangefinder and they scan function on the rangefinder is a beauty.

I wont go into the glass debate as the glass in all the above binos are second to none.

One thing is they are very compact too which Is great for field use..

Cheers guys...

Comment

If you want to do a review of your Swaro binos we should clear up this thread and just have the review and start making threads for different binos.

Comment

sounds like a plan.

Comment

Gday,

Rather then start a new topic I was wondering what is the best method for cleaning my Swarovski's. They are full of fine dust from my trip, it was quite windy and the bloody dust gets in everywhere.

I'm assuming I should just rinse them under water and let them dry but there seems to be dust in the rear objectives when you turn them out. That's the dust I am concerned about.

After speaking to a Nightforce technician about cleaning the lens on my scope he said to rinse with water and then use a microfiber cloth with Windex.

Should I do the same with my Binos...

Comment

• El-Skippo
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by butta9999" post=17423
            Gday,

Rather then start a new topic I was wondering what is the best method for cleaning my Swarovski's. They are full of fine dust from my trip, it was quite windy and the bloody dust gets in everywhere.

I'm assuming I should just rinse them under water and let them dry but there seems to be dust in the rear objectives when you turn them out. That's the dust I am concerned about.

After speaking to a Nightforce technician about cleaning the lens on my scope he said to rinse with water and then use a microfiber cloth with Windex.

Should I do the same with my Binos...
            This is how i clean my glass ( work's for me )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHqrhluNAE
        Working...
        X