New to shotguns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to shotguns.

Hey guys, picked up my first shotgun recently and am looking forward to busting some clays on the weekend (work permitting of course).
    I'm just looking for some advice on cleaning and general maintenance. It's an over under ATA 686.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0109.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	22240

Hey Danny

I had one of those shotties until yesterday when i traded it in! Was a nice gun. It took me around 300 rounds to get it working nicely from being so tight when new.

As for cleaning I just done what I do for my rifles which seemed to work good, run some cleaning solution through and let it sit for a few minutes then run patches through. For the plastic that sticks to the barrels I use a bronze brush to clean that off. I made sure to put some grease on the parts where metal slides over each other which did help considerably when opening / closing.

Have fun with it!

Jase

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey guys,

I've been shooting long arms for awhile and like Danny7600 I recently purchased my first shotgun (Rizzini Omnium Light). I'm also very interested in what more experienced members have to say about cleaning and care.

When I purchased mine I was told that to clean it I should get a wool mop and some oil. They said I should ran this through the barrels after each trip and that if I did this regularly I would NOT require the use of Copper or Nylon brushes. What do you guys think? What are your experiences?

Also, what's the best product for keeping a walnut stock in good condition? Any recommendation.

Thanks for the advice guys. Michael

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Danny

I had one of those shotties until yesterday when i traded it in! Was a nice gun. It took me around 300 rounds to get it working nicely from being so tight when new.

As for cleaning I just done what I do for my rifles which seemed to work good, run some cleaning solution through and let it sit for a few minutes then run patches through. For the plastic that sticks to the barrels I use a bronze brush to clean that off. I made sure to put some grease on the parts where metal slides over each other which did help considerably when opening / closing.

Have fun with it!

Jase

Yeah it has a pretty still action I have noticed, can you recommend any particular gun grease?

Guys, it's a shotgun.
    They don't need intensive cleaning like a rifle does.
    Modern chrome barrels can take quite a bit of abuse and not suffer.
    I'm not saying don't look after them - just that loads of scrubbing isn't required.

Push a tight dry patch down the barrel.
    This will remove most of the residue.
    If clean, go no further - it doesn't need oil for storage. Put it away dry.
    If you can see some plastic streaks and want to clean further, then give it a bit of a scrub.

The most important bit is to remove screw in chokes a few times each year. Give them a clean and lightly grease the threads to ensure they don't become a permanent fixture.

Run an oily rag over the bluing before storage.

If your stock has an oil finish then use a suitable oil to wipe it down.

Comment

Mate most of the time I just use a boresnake but if you really want to give it a good clean I use a nylon brush instead of a bronze brush. It probably doesn't matter but the bronze brush isn't necessary so I don't use it. And no need to use a copper foul remove cleaner for obvious reasons.
      Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Jason Lefty" post=6006
        Mate most of the time I just use a boresnake but if you really want to give it a good clean I use a nylon brush instead of a bronze brush. It probably doesn't matter but the bronze brush isn't necessary so I don't use it. And no need to use a copper foul remove cleaner for obvious reasons.
        I have always gotten by with either a boresnake or a pull through, a nylon brush, some forby and some oil, anything will come off with a nylon brush if you scrub long enough

One more thing I forgot to add that I find works well is to get toilet paper scrunch it to a ball so its tight through the barrel and push it through with your timber shotgun cleaning rods. Really gets the crud out and makes the chrome shine.
      Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Nice gun, they are a solid shorty those ATA's. Have put thousands of rounds through mine with no issues so far. YouTube "cleaning a shotgun". You'll get a heap of info and best bit is, you can see how it's done.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by jamster" post=6892
          Nice gun, they are a solid shorty those ATA's. Have put thousands of rounds through mine with no issues so far. YouTube "cleaning a shotgun". You'll get a heap of info and best bit is, you can see how it's done.
          Good to hear!

Thanks for all the advice guys, Seems shottys are pretty simple to maintain.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X