.410 bolt action scattergun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .410 bolt action scattergun

A mate has asked me about a .410 bolt action shotgun, he used to own one years ago and let it go, now he's thinking he would like another one for around the farm. I assume it was an early mossberg, but it could have been anything, neither of us know anything about shotties, but I must be the smart one because he asked me. (the fool).
    The question is, doe's anyone make these new, I had a google and found savage make a 12 gauge, and found bugger all on mossberg.
    If available new, who is the agent, or which shops would sell them, we are north of sydney, nsw.
    I'm sure a good second hand one would do the job, which brands should I look for on the second hand sites.
    Thanks for your time, NBT.

By the way, have seen .303 conversions but were all single shot, would like a repeater, thanks

Sorry I sold mine too but it was a good gun [ mossberg ]--- three shot top loader -- had a variable choke on it and was not all that expensive when I got it.
    Had a 303 BSA with a magazine cut off that was ok too except it was worn out [pitted barrel] great little round the house guns and does wonders to stay persistent dogs bums at a goodly range though -- mine made a Rotty clear a 1.5 meter high fence in one leap and he never cam back for more either.
    Useless as an orchard gun they punch too many holes in the fruit
    Read more from this search. seems abused guns might have some.
    Chuck haws summery will be god as usual for info.
    https://www.google.com.au/#q=Bolt+action+410+.au
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

There is a good old English made Grange bolt action 410 for $185 on Used Guns It's advertised through Shoalhaven Shooting Supplies at Nowra
      I don't know anyone that makes a bolt 410 these days

Comment

Can't remember the last model to hit the shelves brand new, but at a guess it'd have to be donkeys ages ago in the late 70's early 80s at least, which in its own way is testament to the functionality of the type.

Now, normally I'll deride a bolt action shotgun as the slowest firing, most awkward unshotgun-like object you could own, but I actually have a soft spot for the 410 bolt action because 1) they're kind of okay to teach kids to shoot with and 2) for the most part you're not going to use it for anything that requires shotgun like handling, which isn't a bolt action shotguns strong suit.

For mine, should I want to use a 410 shotgun that doesn't handle like a 410 shotgun, I'd give the bolt actions a miss and get a lever action (9410 or a rossi) , at least you'd have a quick 2nd/3rd/4th/5th shot.

Comment

I think the main benefit of the bolt action is being able to grab it a couple of times a year and being familiar with the function of the gun, as the other rifles are bolts. And a couple of spare shots on board is a bonus.
          Might have to watch out for a second hand one.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Needbiggertargets" post=48850
            I think the main benefit of the bolt action is being able to grab it a couple of times a year and being familiar with the function of the gun, as the other rifles are bolts. And a couple of spare shots on board is a bonus.
            Might have to watch out for a second hand one.
            Interoperability between BA rifles is an appeal, but they just don't feel/ handle the same. Since most are designed the fire 3 inch shells, the bolt travel is slightly shorter than Jupiters orbit.
        Working...
        X