Initial cleaning of a new shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial cleaning of a new shotgun

While I know a bit about rifles, I'm very new to shotguns. An ATA 686 has just landed in the safe and I've realised I don't really know what the best approach to the initial clean down is.

If it was a rifle I'd pull it to bits, clean everything and apply different lubes to different places. I assume it is much the same with a shotgun, but I don't know what lubes to put where, and is it necessary to get into the action (is that the right term?) to clean and lube on a new gun?

So the questions google isn't really helping with are:

Do I need to clean inside the action on a new gun? What lube do people put in here? Any parts to focus on or avoid?
    What general purpose rust preventative is used over the outside of the gun? I usually use lanox.
    What type of lube is used on choke threads? I have a whole shelf of stuff I could use, or do I need something special?
    What type of lube is preferred on metal on metal moving parts? Which ones need a specific lubing?
    I don't have a shotgun cleaning kit yet, I was just going to do the barrels with a home made pull through for this first clean.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Id clean it with something other than degreaser type stuff, a good spray with lanox will shift the grime but not the protective coating.

Comment

I just wipe mine down with Lanox or G96. For the threads on the chokes I use Grease (gun or fishing - any grease really) no need to go over board on it, just a light smear is all that's needed on the threads. I also grease the hinge pins (not sure if that's the correct wording) and any other mating type surfaces where metal is on metal.

I just clean the bore with the G96 or similar, the chokes are harder to clean and will need some sort of wire brush to clean the plastic out of them with some sort of solvent.
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam in Perth" post=40392
        So the questions google isn't really helping with are:

Do I need to clean inside the action on a new gun? What lube do people put in here? Any parts to focus on or avoid?
        What general purpose rust preventative is used over the outside of the gun? I usually use lanox.
        What type of lube is used on choke threads? I have a whole shelf of stuff I could use, or do I need something special?
        What type of lube is preferred on metal on metal moving parts? Which ones need a specific lubing?
        I don't have a shotgun cleaning kit yet, I was just going to do the barrels with a home made pull through for this first clean.
        In comparison to a rifle a shotgun needs relatively little cleaning.
        OK I'll go through them in order

Do I need to clean inside the action on a new gun?
        Not really - unless there's a huge hunk of shipping grease or something in the way, just give it a wipe out with a clean rag.
        Certainly don't pull the gun apart to get inside the action - A shotgun will work for years without you going near it.

What lube do people put in here?
        You don't need to lube the action, keep it clean. The only thing that needs lubing is the bearing surfaces and the ejectors.

Any parts to focus on or avoid?
        If it's got changeable chokes, you'll want to take them out at least a few times a year to ensure they don't seize in place.
        A light coating of oil or grease will help the threads stay free.

Lanox is fine, just wipe down the blued surfaces the way you would on a rifle.

Any light oil, a drop is all you need. You can use a grease applied sparingly.

I use a grease on mine, others use oil.
        Specifically put a drop on the hinge pin and smear a little over the metal on metal moving parts.

I don't have a shotgun cleaning kit yet
        Look for one with a sturdy rod. I've got a metal two piece rod that can be used with a tight patch.
        If I've had a light day out, all I do is run a tight patch through the barrel to push the powder residue out.
        It doesn't need to be scrubbed out all the time.
        Look up the bore and if you see streaks from the plastic wads you can give it a bit more of a clean.
        The chokes in particular seem to pick up a bit of build up - that's about the only thing that needs a good scrub with a bronze brush. A chamber brush is good for this task.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          That's super helpful, thanks heaps guys!

It's only got light coverings of whatever the hell it leaves the factory with, so shouldn't need to get into the guts of it for a while. I'll give the barrels a gentle clean with a homemade pull through (just to remove whatever it is in there), put some light oil on the choke threads, some locking lug lube on the hinge and ejectors and lanox the shit out of the rest.

Easy.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          The only advice I can add to the comprehensive reply above is to stay away from products like WD40 as they allegedly have a detrimental effect on the soft solder that holds the barrels together.

Regards

Peter
      Working...
      X