Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a shotgun with a cracked stock

Hi Shooters.
    A local Gunshop has a under over shotgun up for sale with a cracked stock where the stock meets the receiver.
    Apart from the crack, which has been crudely repaired, the gun is in great condition.

Is it generally safe to buy a gun like this or is it a major red flag?
    The gun is still selling for $1000 and would be worth over $2500 if there was no crack.

if the stock repair is solid then i cant see any problem with it myself and have seen a few repaired stocks still put numbers on the board in fullbore circles. Certainly as a field gun it would be great i dont think you would cry if you got a ding in the stock either. There are some awesome adhesives these days and if pinned and adhered correctly the stock will perform as new albeit just with a visible war wound.

Comment

Could be a sign of what has been used in the gun ammo wise.... Use to have a berretta silver pigeon, after a lot of use with slugs and 3" magnum buckshot it got a crack in the stock as well....
      I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

You could always replace the the timber in it with some custom wood, just depends on what the shotguns like/worth as to whether you'd want to go down this path. Joe Camilleri does custom stocks, price would be determined by wood type and grade etc but I don't think his prices are too bad.

PH; 0409 320 922
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

You may even be able to pick up a second hand stock depending on the popularity of the gun.
          Some distributors may even have something to suit.
          I be more concerned about the action and amount of work that it's done.
          If it's tight, go for it I say.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            What is it by the way?
            Big name brand is going to be easier to get spares for and hold its value.

Brand is Miroku with Gauge 3 wood
          The gun is in functional condition, I actually shot a couple of shells out of it and it seems fine.

The action is still stiff and crisp, barrel looks all but brand new with no scoring at all.
          I have worked with wood before and should be able to conceal the crack with some good adhesive and sanding.
          From what has been said so far I think that I might seriously look at it.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Put a deposit on it today.
            I'd buy it sight unseen for a grand.
            Have you priced a new one recently?
            Should be easy to get a new stock - you often see them second hand.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by MoreBravo" post=37350
            Brand is Miroku with Gauge 3 wood
            The gun is in functional condition, I actually shot a couple of shells out of it and it seems fine.
            What length are the barrels?

Thanks Nigel-I, I will get er done and post some pics in the new year.

Comment

I can not understand why the gun shop has not put a another stock on it,they are around.A few people get custom stocks made and would have the old stocks laying around.You would have to look around,but some one would have one for sure.cheers.

Comment

A simple 'pin and glue' option may be appropriate.

This course of action is relatively cheap and very effective, if carried out by a capable person.

I have a Perazzi that developed a crack behind the top tang that extended through to the bottom tang.

A Sydney based stock maker carried out the repairs I speak of with more then satisfactory results.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with gamma, I would find another stock and put $2000 on it. It's up to you if everything else is good go for it!

Done!
              I'm going to dive in and report back.

Does anyone know where you can find a stock for the Mk38 or Mk10. I'm assuming that either would work as they are the same gun.

Comment

I just read that the Browning Citori stocks can be used on the Miroku guns. Does anyone know if this is true?

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Basically the same action - I think it'd fit.
                  Citoris are usually a bit plainer.
                  If it's a grade 3 gun it deserves a nice stock.

Hit the internet - I saw one one Facebook a while ago. There was one on used guns recently.

30"
                Why is that?

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by MoreBravo" post=38097
                  30"
                  Why is that?
                  Just curious.
                  If it was a 32in I'd be looking for the shop
                  I have a Grade 3 with 28in barrels which is lovely to shoot.
                  Tell me you've done the deal.

I took it to another local gun shop over the weekend to get a second opinion and they said that it could be repaired however there was no guarantee that it would not need further work as the stock was cracked internally past the bolt hole. Essentially if I wanted a gun to have around for a long time I would need to buy a new stock which would cost 800+ and the owner would not move off $1200.
                I was not keen to pay 2000+ for a second hand gun when you can get a new MK10 for nearly the same money.
                If anyone has a spare Miroku Sporter butt stock sitting in there shed, which they will donate or sell for a reasonable price, then I am all ears.
                On the other side, if anyone thinks that I am stupid, then the gun is at Tas Ag Services Campbelltown, Tasmania. It as Briley Thin Wall Chokes, Ported Barrels and is in good condition except for the stock.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by MoreBravo" post=40056
                  ......and the owner would not move off $1200.

I was not keen to pay 2000+ for a second hand gun when you can get a new MK10 for nearly the same money.
                  I thought you said $1000.
                  You can't get a new grade 3 Model 10 under $3000.
                  Was it a Model 10 or something else?
                  If you're not sure best to pass.
                  It'd be a different story if you had a spare stock.

Yeah I thought that it was $1000 but the owner actually wanted $1200 and thought that it was worth more.
                It was a MK38 which had had Briley Chokes added as well as the Barrel Ported.

While I love the gun I could not justify it when I could not find a stock to replace it.
                Definitely different story if I could find a stock.

Comment

Working...
                X