Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one shot size for ALL occasions?

Hi guys!

So, here's my dilemma. My Parents are going to go for a 4WD/ caravan trip up through the centre of Australia and he asked if he could borrow a shotgun. I said no dramas and am lending him one of my doubles. Now, he wants to use this shotgun for ANY and ALL purposes that may require the use of a firearm anywhere in Australia. That is a big ask.
    So I suggested that he use something like 4's or 6's for smaller stuff and some SSG/ SG's for bigger stuff with maybe some solids as well. "Nah, too bloody complicated! Just give me a box for everything!" he replies.
    Now, he's not actually not planning on hunting or anything, he just likes the idea of having it handy, you know just in case.
    He's fully licensed and has done his share of shooting in the past, but now that he's older he just wants going nice and simple.

So guys, what shot size would you recommend? I was going to give him BB's as an all-rounder but am now leaning towards AAA's as the best all-rounder. One load has approx 42 pellets, small enough (just) for smaller game but big enough (just) for larger, nasty game. Plus I'll still hive him a couple of packets of solids.

So what do you think of AAA's as an all-rounder? Can you guys recommend a better one?

GB,

Russ.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=35163
    Excuse my ignorance but is storing a gun in a caravan even legal, since a safe must be in fixed structure?

Happy to be proven wrong though.
    funny thing about caravans is you need a car of some sort to tow them
    and as we all know storage in a car whilst away from the regular storage is permitted
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Always gotta be a two bit lawyer having a say.....

SSG.

Might miss some small stuff, but good on medium stuff, and a fair load, on bigger stuff.

cheers,

Oddball

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the BB's.

Being new to shotguns I'm following this thread with interest

As to the legalities of the trip I'd be more concerned with making sure he complies with the legal side of transporting a firearm interstate, particularly if its not registered to him

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        BB's

if they don''t work then tell him to get closer

There is no one shot size for all occasions (as indicated by the fact there are over a dozen of them).
      I could get by with three, those being #5's, #2's & #SG's.

If I had to chose one for the purpose stated, I would go with 36grams of #BB's.

Solid slugs would only be good for Buffalo or crocodile as a last resort. (much easier to avoid encounters with either)
      Slugs don't figure in the reckoning as if you need them you are better off with a rifle.
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

BB's would be my choice. If in range BB's will stop most things.

Don't see a question about storage

Comment

I would tell him that if he doesn't want to take your advice do it properly and get one load for small and one for big, that he can sort out his own ammo. As for me, I'd take SG and no 2.
          "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=35398
            ...As for me, I'd take SG and no 2.
            Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

I don't even think 2 would cover it I would go oosg's, bb's and 6's I shoot everything from pigs to foxes and rabbits and also pigeons. I wouldn't dream of using anything less than three varieties possibly use 4's specifically for rabbits and have four sorts.

Comment

I've been stuck with only a couple of boxes of #4's once. Worked fine for everything I took, including ducks and larger animals.

The best part was that the shot went straight through the ducks... Meant there were no crunchy surprises when it came to eating them.

Comment

• BadboyMelvin
              BadboyMelvin commented
              Editing a comment
              Guy's, I'm agreeing with you all. If it were ME I'd take an assortment of shells/ shot sizes, absolutely.
              BUT, the old man only wants one shot size! It's "too bloody complicated" apparently...

I think you are all right though, BB's seem come as close as you can get to being an 'all rounder'

and..

I really need to give him a couple of sizes.
              I reckon I'll give him a couple boxes of no.4 and a couple of SSG. I'll even write in texta on the boxes 'BIG STUFF' and 'LITTLE STUFF'. That should do it!

Thanks for everyone's advice.

BB's would be my call. Might need slugs for the camels & donkey in the centre though !!!

Comment

BB's or AAA's are as good as you will get as an all rounder.

Having said that, my Lee 1 ounce slugs really do thier stuff on small game like ducks and quail.
              certainly saved me the hassle of gutting / plucking [or eating] them when I managed to hit them

stephen
              all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

There is no such thing as one size shot for all.You need a mixture of different size shot.cheers

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by gamma" post=35825
                  There is no such thing as one size shot for all.You need a mixture of different size shot.cheers
                  +1

To be frank, some of the learned opinions regarding personal shot preference in this thread are humorous, bordering on inexperienced. For instance, I've been shooting shotguns more or less as my mainstay since I was 11 and not once have I been compelled to load up with AAAs ditto with BB's for anything other than foxes. And pray-tell why you'd load up with 2's over BBs?. Smaller stuff, such as bagging a bunny for the pot 4,5,6 and even 7's do the trick, unless you want to throw a brick at them, feel free to employ the alphabet on them. Opportunistic pig? There's no such thing as overkill with a SG but theres such a thing as annoyance using 4's ...

Horses for courses, Old chap. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can fit 1 box of shells in the grand tour, surely there's space for 2 or 3 boxes?

1887 Browning Lever action 12G....

Accept no substitute..

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by codebasher" post=36585

Accept no substitute..
                  It's a substitute, and a substantially sub standard substitute. However my personal choice would be a Cat D now......

Something about the sound of a Lever Action being cycled that just gets your hackles up in the dark.......if your the one in the wrong place...

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by codebasher" post=36585
                  What's that got to do with the Topic at hand???

If I had to pick only 1 size it would be a heavy loaded BB like a 34 or 36.

If I could pick 3 I would pick 4s for bunny, BB for foxes and solids or something big for pig etc.

For an Aussie wide caravanning road trip (or 4wding trip) imho a 243 and a 22 would be my pick leaving the 12g at home.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by BadboyMelvin" post=35157
                  Hi guys!

So, here's my dilemma. My Parents are going to go for a 4WD/ caravan trip up through the centre of Australia and he asked if he could borrow a shotgun. I said no dramas and am lending him one of my doubles. Now, he wants to use this shotgun for ANY and ALL purposes that may require the use of a firearm anywhere in Australia. That is a big ask.
                  So I suggested that he use something like 4's or 6's for smaller stuff and some SSG/ SG's for bigger stuff with maybe some solids as well. "Nah, too bloody complicated! Just give me a box for everything!" he replies.
                  Now, he's not actually not planning on hunting or anything, he just likes the idea of having it handy, you know just in case.
                  He's fully licensed and has done his share of shooting in the past, but now that he's older he just wants going nice and simple.

So guys, what shot size would you recommend? I was going to give him BB's as an all-rounder but am now leaning towards AAA's as the best all-rounder. One load has approx 42 pellets, small enough (just) for smaller game but big enough (just) for larger, nasty game. Plus I'll still hive him a couple of packets of solids.

So what do you think of AAA's as an all-rounder? Can you guys recommend a better one?

GB,

Russ.
                  To all that have posted or may post please read the bit I highlighted
                  now read between the lines and use your imagination as to why he may want the shotgun seriously folks just answer the blokes Question and don't read too much into it
                  Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• Shotgunner
                    Shotgunner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by fishphillott" post=36670
                    Originally posted by BadboyMelvin" post=35157
                    Hi guys!

GB,

Russ.
                    To all that have posted or may post please read the bit I highlighted
                    now read between the lines and use your imagination as to why he may want the shotgun seriously folks just answer the blokes Question and don't read too much into it
                    Then my suggestion is to go off and ask the question on an American forum where he doesn't have to "read between the lines", because that sort of "hunting" isn't illegal there.
                Working...
                X