Anyone have a sewing pattern for a Clay Shooting Vest ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a sewing pattern for a Clay Shooting Vest ?

Hi, Hope this in the correct place, feel free to move it if need be.
    I'm very new to Clay shooting and need a Vest to keep all those 12g shells handy. At the moment I've been using a jumper with huge pockets, but that's no good for summer.
    I know I can buy them in plenty of paces but the cheapest I can find is about a hundred dollars and being a family man, paying a mortgage etc every dollar counts . . . my partner has a sewing machine and I figure how hard can it be to knock one up ? It only needs to do the job. But I can't seem to find any patterns to download anywhere.

If anyone knows of where I'd find a pattern to make my own I'd be very appreciative.

Originally posted by Zen and the Art of Marksmanship" post=34094
    I'm very new to Clay shooting and need a Vest to keep all those 12g shells handy. At the moment I've been using a jumper with huge pockets, but that's no good for summer.
    I know I can buy them in plenty of paces but the cheapest I can find is about a hundred dollars and being a family man, paying a mortgage etc every dollar counts . . . my partner has a sewing machine and I figure how hard can it be to knock one up ? It only needs to do the job. But I can't seem to find any patterns to download anywhere.

If anyone knows of where I'd find a pattern to make my own I'd be very appreciative.
    What about one of these - I use one and it does the job fine.
    http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/products/accessories/allen-shotgun-shell-bag-clayton
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment

If you like the idea of a bag on your waist, but $50 is still a little steep, maybe a tote bag from a surplus store used with your own belt. Or a tool belt/bag from bunnings.

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mister" post=34175
      If you like the idea of a bag on your waist, but $50 is still a little steep, maybe a tote bag from a surplus store used with your own belt. Or a tool belt/bag from bunnings.
      I think I paid around $30 for mine - but I gotta say shooting clay's isn't a cheap sport really, not unusual to go through a slab of ammo a week (practice/comp) type situation and at around $80+ a slab plus range fees etc, can get a touch expensive.

As Steve pointed out you could well buy one fairly cheap that would do the job until you could afford a better version/

I was thinking about making my own vest myself, the wife's pretty handy with a sewing machine and I reckon some butchers paper cutout into the different sections etc would be a good a place as any to start making a pattern with (the dress patterns are done similarly from what I've seen) so would only be a matter of some measurements and then shaping the paper to suit each section, place it on the material and cut it out, stitch each section together and away ya go.

The material shop Spotlight would have a good selection of materials tthat would suit I would think.

Can't help you with a pattern.
    If you were in Vic, I'd lend you one of my spares to use as a template.

I will say that when you get into shooting clays, then a good vest is a worthwhile investment.
    They are a bit of money to get one made, but worth every penny IMHO.
    A good seamstress will measure you up and the thing will fit beautifully and the weight of the shells will be distributed evenly over your shoulders.

I'm onto my second one, it's better than the one I had made 20 years ago by the same lady.
    Slightly different cut in the shoulder and the movement is much more free.

As suggested a pouch to hang on your belt will provide a bit more comfort that shells in a jumper pocket.

Comment

Can't help with the pattern, but a vest is much better than a shell pouch in my experience.
      Every time I have used a shell pouch I get a sore lower back the next day due to the weight of the shells on one hip affecting my spine / lower back. Perhaps two pouches, one on either hip would spread the load more evenly.
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

I have a brand new one you can have for free (it's still sealed in the bag). All you need to do is pay for postage. I won it in a comp a few months ago, I already have one so I don't need it.

It is blue and black, size is XL and it has a SSAA badge on it, which I am sure can be un picked if required. If you want it, just send me a PM and I will reply with my post details so you can send me an express post bag or something that I can send back to you..

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Rezon8" post=34389

I have a brand new one you can have for free (it's still sealed in the bag). All you need to do is pay for postage. I won it in a comp a few months ago, I already have one so I don't need it.

It is blue and black, size is XL and it has a SSAA badge on it, which I am sure can be un picked if required. If you want it, just send me a PM and I will reply with my post details so you can send me an express post bag or something that I can send back to you..
          very generous rezon8, worthy of a +1, but you'll have to make do with a "thankyou"

steve

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Dead set there's some nice shooters around. Not that I'm surprised, some of the most sharing people I've met are shooters. Thanks for the advice and the suggestions everyone. Thanks also to Rezon8 for the generous offer, I've sent you a message mate ! When were in a better financial situation I'll make sure I return the favor to yourself or another shooter out there.

Cheers everyone !!

No worries,

I hate seeing it sit there, I would much rather see it put to good use.

Comment

Working...
        X