Shortening o/u shotgun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening o/u shotgun.

Hey guys looking to shorten my 30" browning citori to 20". I want to make it easier to use for rabbits foxes etc. Thought about getting one of the cheaper short shotties but dont want 2 of em. What are the pros and cons of chopping it down?

My first response is 'Don't do it'.

You will IMHO ruin a good shotgun and reduce it's resale value, not to mention its balance.

How will doing this make it 'easier to use for rabbits foxes etc.' ?
    This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose a easier to carry shotgun. I can sling it over my back and get it on target a lot quicker. Maybe I will see if I can get a akkar 20 inch s/h when one comes along.

Originally posted by xbrute" post=31351
    Hey guys looking to shorten my 30" browning citori to 20".
    What are the pros and cons of chopping it down?
    Pros -
    None

Cons -
    You will bugger up a decent gun.
    You will remove any choking the gun has, effectively reducing the range to 4/5 of bugger all.
    It will be far from easier to shoot, you'll have a hard time getting pattern onto anything past 10 metres.
    Balance & resale have been mentioned already.
    The ridicule you will be subject to for taking a hacksaw to a functional Browning.

If you want a 20 inch gun, there's plenty of them on the market.

Comment

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      You would be lucky to hit anything past 15 yards.
      Sorry not a good idea!

Looks like too many cons on this one. What i wanted to do is have my centerfire in hand and have the shotty as a backup slung with the safety on. Having a 30" browning slung when moving through thick bush gets me hung up quite a few times already. Might wait to get a 20" akkar etc
    Thanks guys

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by xbrute" post=31565
      Looks like too many cons on this one. What i wanted to do is have my centerfire in hand and have the shotty as a backup slung with the safety on. Having a 30" browning slung when moving through thick bush gets me hung up quite a few times already. Might wait to get a 20" akkar etc
      Thanks guys
      That's what I usually do - I carry a rifle on the shoulder and Single Barrel shotgun in the hand for anything that runs out in front of me, works well and the single barrel is nice and light so no great burden to carry both around like that. I like whistling foxes and that's how I do it and the one time I didn't do it sure enough I called in a fox and the bugger just sat about 100m away, me in the scrubline and it sitting on a hill out in the open, I couldn't do a bloody thing about it, it refused to come to any of the whistles and sounds I made, it sat there for about 5mins tormenting me! :lol: then just casually walked off into the ferns near by.

You have been given good advice,do not cut the barrels and ruin a good gun.The new 20inch Akkar sounds like the go,me i do not like 20inch shotguns and they seem to be a fad at the moment,but every body has different tastes.cheers

Comment

Working...
    X