Cashmore 12G - My Great Grandfather's Shotgun, help with identification? Picture Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashmore 12G - My Great Grandfather's Shotgun, help with identification? Picture Heavy

Hi All,

Today I acquired my great grandfather's 12g side by side double barrel W. Cashmore shotgun. It was transferred to me for safe keeping and use. This is exactly what I intend to do with it.

The things I know about the shotgun:
    It is OLD.
    It is Nitro Proofed.
    It is apparently chambered for 3" shells.

Things I would like to know about the shotgun:
    The year of its manufacture? - After a quick google for Birmingham proof marks it appears to fit within the 1904-1925 rules for proofing.
    How much choke is on each barrel? - Dad and pop took it out for a shot a few weeks ago before it was sent to me and dad suspects full choke on both barrels.
    Does anyone know of a gunsmith who could restore the old girl back to mint (as mint as it could be) condition.

As you may have guessed this shotgun means a lot to pop, dad and I, it would be nice to have it fixed up so it's ready for another 100 years of service.
    I'm sure I will have more questions, if you require any other information to be able to give answers or advice just let me know.
    Here are the pictures! Thank you in advance for any helpful information!
    The rust on the towel is not from the shotgun, it's just a stain on the towel.

I can't give you any info but it looks remarkably like the one I have also belonging to my great grandfather
    Yours in much better nick then mine
    Good luck with it
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Do you know the history of it? It well have been responsible for a number of weddings in your family .
      "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Out of curiosity what is the serial#
        Mine is 120**

Cool as Fish, it's nice to have a piece of family history like these isn't it!

Shotgunner, it very well could have been.

Just a bit of info to go with the pictures, I know the piece of bone on the fore end is not original, nor is the one right on the butt of the stock. Apparently my great grandfather lent the shotgun to his brother once, who when he tried to break it down, used a screwdriver to attempt to lever that part off. The one in the stock was where the same brother dropped it on a rock and put a ding in the stock. Apparently my great grandfather put both pieces of bone in it, I'm not sure if they even are bone or if they are, what they are from, still cool that it's his handiwork though. I never met him.

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks the same as the one my grandmother used to shoot flying foxes out of her mulberry tree with.

Originally posted by Teracis" post=29425
      Hi All,

Today I acquired my great grandfather's 12g side by side double barrel W. Cashmore shotgun. It was transferred to me for safe keeping and use. This is exactly what I intend to do with it.

It is OLD.
      It is Nitro Proofed.

The year of its manufacture? - After a quick google for Birmingham proof marks it appears to fit within the 1904-1925 rules for proofing.
      How much choke is on each barrel? - Dad and pop took it out for a shot a few weeks ago before it was sent to me and dad suspects full choke on both barrels.
      Does anyone know of a gunsmith who could restore the old girl back to mint (as mint as it could be) condition.

As you may have guessed this shotgun means a lot to pop, dad and I, it would be nice to have it fixed up so it's ready for another 100 years of service.
      I'm sure I will have more questions, if you require any other information to be able to give answers or advice just let me know.
      It is nice getting hand me downs that mean something!

Where are you located? It will help people to suggest a gunsmith.
      If in Melbourne you could try
      Kevin Sharp
      R.E.Sharp and sons
      9739 1068
      Coldstream

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers for that, I forgot location isn't up.
        I'm on the Gold Coast but a bit of travel or postage wouldn't be too bad if it was going to be worth doing. We want to get it right as there won't be a second chance if it's botched up. I also have to confirm with dad how much of a restoration he wants on it.

Originally posted by Teracis" post=29425
      Hi All,

It is OLD.
      It is Nitro Proofed.

It appears to have been made for a particular company that had offices (stores) in Adelaide, Melbourne, Launceston, Hobart & Christchurch.
      Can't make out a few of the other words but the first looks like 'highest'
      Would like to know the full inscription.

Judging by the proof marks it appears to have 2 3/4 inch chambers, if it had 3 inch chambers the marking would have been 12 (over) LC in a diamond. It is also proofed for 1 1/4 oz loads, which means 2 3/4 inch chambers I think from memory.
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by TwoFourThree" post=30174
        It appears to have been made for a particular company that had offices (stores) in Adelaide, Melbourne, Launceston, Hobart & Christchurch.
        Can't make out a few of the other words but the first looks like 'highest'
        Would like to know the full inscription.

Judging by the proof marks it appears to have 2 3/4 inch chambers, if it had 3 inch chambers the marking would have been 12 (over) LC in a diamond. It is also proofed for 1 1/4 oz loads, which means 2 3/4 inch chambers I think from memory.
        TwoFourThree As far as I can tell the full inscription on the top of the barrels is as follows:

"W. . Cashmore . Maker . Birmingham"
        "Highest Awards Adelaide. Melbourne. Launceston. Hobart. & Christchurch."

The flats appear to have:

Right Side:
        "English Made"
        NP(Crown) Nitro Proof 1 1/4
        13 BV(Crown) BP(Crown) 12aboveC(In Diamond) Choke

The left side is identical bar the 13 which on this side is 13/1

From more google work and this link: Vintage Guns UK - Dating through proof marks It appears to have been manufactured between 1904 and 1925. The serial number, 13XXX leads me to think it's earlier than 1909 if the quote "My Cashmore Hammergun 13682 was made about 1909" I found on a U.S. Forum is correct, as mine is a lower number than the number stated in the quote.

Additional google searches and reading the Vintage Guns UK site turned up some of the stuff the markings may mean.

The 13 and 13/1 marks refer to the nominal bore size as per this link : Vintage Guns UK - Proof Sizes
        Which also has reference at the bottom of the page to the chamber length, coming from the 1 1/4 marks at the front of the flats leading me to believe as you have stated that it is 2 3/4" chamber.

I have been doing a bit of reading but am 100% open to suggestions, links, discussion and other help. It would be nice to be able to confirm this stuff through more than one source however they seem quite reputable so that's looking like fairly solid information so far.

If it would get me more information or an exact date of manufacture (year or better) I can provide the rest of the serial number however it seems to be the go to keep those private.

Thanks again!

There may be someone (in the UK) that has the makers records and they could date the gun to an exact date if the records still exist or are detailed enough.
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep that's what I was hinting at, if anyone knew where to start looking, I've thrown a few search terms into google but the information is pretty scarce, I might flick the dudes at that site an email just to get info on where to look. It would be interesting to know that's for sure!
    Working...
    X