Bit of a two parter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a two parter

Hey guys new to this forum. So as to my two part question.
    Im currently at uni studying hard and am finding it hard to get out shooting, expecially since my gun is in vic and i am in tas. this has led me to start thinking about downgrading. I have a beretta silver pigeon S trap with outstanding woodwork, just sitting in a dark safe doing nothing but collecting dust. I have looked around and like the look of the new webley and scott shoutguns, does anyone think this is a good idea? orr not.
    and secondly are there any tasmanian competition shooters on here.
    Cheers
    this is my shotgun at the moment

i wouldnt do it man, so what you will sell that gun for less then 2k and then buyer a newer gun which is shitter for a 1k

so say u make 700-1000 from the changeover ( which is generous)

you now have a shit shotgun in comparison and how long does that small amount of money really last

just my opinion

if you need it becasue you cant pay ur bills and theyre gonna shutoff your power then thats a different story

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Stick with the Beretta; i went shopping last week for a $1K sporting shotty and was talked out of a W&S 900k
      Wish i had a nice Beretta i

Keep your Beretta mate.
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah - you'll regret selling it, besides losing a bit of money on the deal.
      If you need the money badly, I hear you can manage on one kidney.
      Now if you were upgrading......

So you all think that just leaving it in the safe unused for years will be a better idea? I mean if i could afford to shoot regualrly even once every few months or so i would keep it. But as it is it hasnt even seen the light of day for the past 14months or so, i dont think its even been put together and shouldered in that time.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Heaps better just keeping it. You'll make f all from the changeover and then what. You'll have a crappy shotgun sitting in your safe not being used and when u want to use it you'll wish it was your beretta

Also your circumstances will change. U won't be at Uni forever and u might get a chance to use your gun more

Ok... maybe I'm missing something...

1 - You have a shotgun you like
    2 - You are living in another state away from that shotgun
    3 - Instead of bringing that shotgun to the state where you are, you want to sell it in the other state and buy a cheaper and lesser-quality one in the state where you are.

I see no reason to.... leave the shotgun languishing in the safe unused for years - and - have no idea how this scenario has suddenly entered the picture. Is there a whole bunch of circumstances you're not telling us? I ask because... now you say you cannot afford to shoot it regularly even every few months or so - but - going by your first post you have your eye on another shotty. So how would you somehow miraculously be able to afford to shoot a different shotgun then?

If you've made up your mind and are looking for people to solidify that decision, I don't think you'll find any.

But I think, you have doubt that selling it is a good idea. That feeling of doubt is your subconscious telling you not to sell it.

As you asked, I say don't sell. But, I'm not in your shoes experiencing your real motivations that got you to this decision point. But as it is... sitting where it is is costing you nothing. Whatever your real reasons for wanting to sell it, don't sell it cause a girl wants you to.

Comment

Im here for an 8 year minimum, which is long enough for the Beretta to turn to rust in the safe. Its a 97 model after all (or was it 92).
      I can only house the shotgun here for 3 months at a time due to tasmanian laws, to keep it longer than that i would need to get a tasmanian license and as i only got my full license early last year, i dont really want to when i have a few years left on my current one. If i was to sell it i would be left with close to or over $1000 after buying a cheaper shotgun, with that i would easily be able to market into the funding for a shooting trip every few months, as it is i dont have a large enough gap in my funding to afford ammo, fees i can do.
      The reason i dont want to sell it is well, just look at it, its a piece of art for a silver pigeon. It dosnt fit me perfectly, but according to beretta nothing ever will unless i get a 2k+custom stock made.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I doubt you will get 2k for it unfortunately. SP1s come up all the time cheap. I can't see your original post cos I'm on my phone but id get my Tasmanian license then. 8 years is a long time. Why wouldn't ya? Your Victorian license is old news if you're not gonna live there for that long

But its not an SP1 its an SP S, its even registered as a 682 by clayton firearms who valued it at 2.7 when i changed it into my name, it was news to me thats for sure. and since then there was a small drop in berettas when the 692 was released and now theyve gone up quite a bit, so i really dont think 2k is unreasonable at all.
      I still have to spend 3months or so in melbourne, as that is my perminant residence and im staying on campus at the uni so i cant stay over the holiday break. Its really a huge confusing situation. I mean if i decide i have the time to get a job at night and im able to get my drivers license (victorian L laws are killers when your parents dont let you drive) and then rent a house down here then i definatly would change my license over. But to get a tasmanina license i cant just send a letter to licensing services and ask to be changed to tasmanian, i have to renounce my victorian one and then wait 3 months then do the test again and wait the 3 months after that to get my license then do the whole 2 month first PTA BS then i can finally get my gun back (this is according to the LGS).

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Regardless, you're going to need a Tassie licence by the sound of it.
        I'd be sorting that out before talking about buying and selling.

So what if it lives in the safe for a while - it's not going to wear out sitting still.

Meh, unless you owe money on it, keep it.

If you trade down you'll have a crap gun you don't use but if you keep it, you'll have a good gun you don't use .

Crap gun V good gun

It's a no brainer

Comment

The only person i know with a license nowadays is my ex, and shes more likely to sell it just to be spitefull

Comment

Sounds like you are trying to make a complicated process out of a fairly simple process
          Disregard what the idiot at the LGS said
          You can apply for a tas. license while still having a Vic. license
          And you can arrange for a VIC. dealer to store and send the Gun to a Tas, dealer when your tassie license arrives
          Cost less than selling/trading/downgrading from the Beretta.
          [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
          [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
          [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
          [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
          [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Mate stop beating yourself up about it just sell it blow the money on tarts, no more worries ,decisions

Comment

• Snag
              Snag commented
              Editing a comment
              No mate,

Let it go.

I have a very rare Winchester single barrel job for you. It's perfect for locking away.

The change over will not cost you too much either.

I'll put my 2 cents in, I sold my silver pigeon S sporter, also with outstanding woodwork and an adjustable comb a few months ago because I was convinced the gun fit wasn't quite compatible with me and that's why my shooting scores were nose diving and I would get a black eye every time I shot it. Beretta Dandenong were really helpful, looked at it twice and made some adjustments gave me plenty of pointers ("you can't shoot!") and were very honest in saying if it's just not working out sell it don't butcher it you'll get good money for it and Miroku, Browning etc all make good guns too.

Bought it 2nd hand from Clayton for $1850 sold it thru abused guns for $50 less and phone rang off the hook although all but two were tyre kickers.

Ended up buying a Franchi Phoenix for $1450 new which was the gun that just marginally came up better than anything else off the shelf, which was my absolute priority. Turned out that no level of perfect gun fit could compensate for bad technique. So now that I've figured out how to hold a shottie, I kinda wish I was holding my old Beretta rather than a slightly cheaper gun that seems worth a lot less, although the wood and engraving are very nice and with an adjustment it comes up like nothing else for me... But I've already had to clean up and reblue some rust spots, the several year old Beretta never complained about being left in the safe for 2 months at a time, and I've been extra careful about keeping the Franchi oiled and in a gun sock... I know it's not Turkish, but suddenly the better Italian and Japanese guns seem like they are quite good value for money.

Sorry for the long post, but the few hundred bucks you might pick up from a downgrade can only buy you so much happiness when you're left with a functional yet inferior gun that will remind you of the old one every time you take it out out of the safe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20130107_115431.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	41694

Comment

Working...
            X