My First go at Competition Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First go at Competition Shooting

Well today I decided it was time to see just how good/bad I am at this DTL shooting, I'm only new to the whole concept (shot 2 practice days) and the club president said there is a competition on this Sunday why don't you have a go, I thought about it and though bugger it I will see what happens, probably won't do any good but what the hell it would be nice to see if I am any good at it compared to others - so I rolled up this morning and signed up, payed the nomination fee and we were away within an hour.

The nerves were playing merry hell with me but I figured its time to sink or swim so to speak, my turn comes and a call pull, bang clay turns to dust, I though you beauty my little trick with the stick on bit of foam rubber appears to be making a difference (had a few hits and misses during practice which we though might be the comb not being quite right (tested it on a pattern board and it was shooting low) something you don't want for clays apparently, anyway I bought a strip of it 24mm wide by 6mm thick, stuck that on this morning and the rest is history, I shot really well considering the nerves and the wind gusts of 60km/h and this is the 3rd time I've shot this gun!

I managed to come 3rd (C Grade) with a 83/100, 2nd was 84/100 and 1st was 89/100 so I did well for a first time out and considering this was probably the 7th time I'd shot clays ever. Even managed to out shoot a few A and B Grade fella's!

Now all I have to do is get an Adjustable Comb put in and hopefully I will improve on that effort.

Cheers
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

well done first up!
    What was the foam you used to raise the comb? How was it stuck on?

cheers
    Phil

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by kara27" post=25159
      well done first up!

cheers
      Phil
      Cheers Phil,

The Foam Rubber was something I got from a foam place near home, it comes in all diff thicknesses and widths etc and has an adhesive backing, cost around $7 for 1mtr of it, so not expensive and will last quite a while. This was just an experiment to see if it was a comb height issue or something else, appears to be the height going by the results.

I will have a word to Joe Cameleri and see what it costs to get the adjustable comb put on.

Cheers mate

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by kara27" post=25159
      well done first up!

cheers
      Phil
      Here's a pic of it Phil

well done, everyone had a "first competition" at some stage
    I was very nervous at my first club shoot and my second and so on But my scores keep getting better and better
    It's a good feeling to know you can hold your own in a new sport

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      [quote
      Promising start, V-nator!
      Good show, old chap.][/quote]

Thanks mate - hope the good luck keeps going! :lol:

Good to see you enjoyed your self and an added bonus of getting a place..

Competition shooting is the same as practicing at the range except with a purpose..
      To WHOOP your mates ass and rub it in like a true sportsman..
      Bloody great fun, I never realised just how much until I had a few shots with friends in a paddock dusting a few clays! now I'm addicted! :lol:

[quote
      Joe Cameleri... what's the name of his business, "Black Sorrows Gunsmithing"? :P

Sorry, couldn't help it.... Joe Joe Zep and all... bad joke. ][/quote]

LOL - from what I'm hearing Joe's the "Go To Man" when it comes to custom stock work for shotguns and turns them around fast too from all accounts which is good.

well done, everyone had a "first competition" at some stage
      I was very nervous at my first club shoot and my second and so on But my scores keep getting better and better
      It's a good feeling to know you can hold your own in a new sport
      Cheers mate, I got to say I was surprised just how well I did do, so was the Club President! he was scoring us and said (FMD you won't be in C Grade for long going by that effort!! :lol: he asked how long have I been shooting - I said I think this is my 7th time I've used a shotgun! :lol: :lol: he said it won't be long before you'll be taking home money if you keep that up! Might be a way of paying for the Comb hey! :lol:

Cheers fella's all your comments are much appreciated, I just hope I can keep improving and not go backwards!

Congrats on a great effort. Hope I go that well when I eventually take a crack at a comp.

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by PKFFW" post=25552
      Congrats on a great effort. Hope I go that well when I eventually take a crack at a comp.
      Cheers mate,

All you can do is give it a go and see what happens - never know you might just surprise yourself like I did!
Working...
X