Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subsonic vs low-recoil shotshell

Hi guys,

I have a SxS for Cowboy Action Shooting and need to find 12G shotshell. Everyone says to buy Winchester Featherlite/Winlite but no one stocks it.

Some shops stock either low recoil (approx 1200 fps) or subsonic (<1000 fps). I thought they were the same thing but it seems not.

What is the "felt" difference, and should I be buying low recoil or subsonic? We all wear ear protection so subsonic may not be relevant???

i tried a slab of rio subsonic vs rio 7.5 target loads and couldn't pick an appreciable difference in feel, POI or even noise (at the gun). Down range they are a touch quieter however so better for neighbours. I think you will find the payload will affect the recoil with a lighter payload giving less felt recoil. I find the target loads are pretty soft to shoot especially 7/8oz or 1oz load compared to hunting loads. Hope this helps.

Comment

I've found the subsonic loads are going so slow as to affect your lead on clay targets.
      Probably doesn't matter for Cowboy action shooting.
      Noise levels are still loud.
      Recoil is mild.

Comment

other left,
        what's more the influencing factor?
        the recoil? or the noise level?
        if its recoil, and you want to keep the gun, can you fit a better recoil pad / or a better fitting recoil pad?
        federal do a reduced load, but I've never used it, so I cant comment on its effect.
        do you know someone who you can buy soft reloads from?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=23248
          Hi guys,

I have a SxS for Cowboy Action Shooting and need to find 12G shotshell. Everyone says to buy Winchester Featherlite/Winlite but no one stocks it.

Some shops stock either low recoil (approx 1200 fps) or subsonic (<1000 fps). I thought they were the same thing but it seems not.

What is the "felt" difference, and should I be buying low recoil or subsonic? We all wear ear protection so subsonic may not be relevant???
          I have done a few comparisons with different rounds in the same SXS for SAS... As for recoil (which is what we give a shit about) there is little felt difference at the shoulder untill you get down to subs or SAS hand loads... Subs depend on brand and what the factory considers low velocity... But I havent found any factory load that I would consider as light as a SAS hand load...
          Hand loads can be well tuned, but this tuning depends on the wad size more than other factors...
          The wad cup and OAL is what will determine how much shot and the crimp... The smaller the cup the better for SAS loads, your not shooting moving targets and your aiming for the lowest recoil you can... Which means a lighter load of lead and really only enough powder to knock down the steel... I have been trying to get time to start reloading my own shells and have been chewing the ears off a couple of the local guns about loading SG...

But if you get around a few different clubs you run into the anti-gamer targets ... These are made heavy to make you use big loads to knock them down (I have run into this) or they run things like "can kickers/throwers" where the more power you have the better it works and the more time the target spends in the air...

Big question is are you getting sore or are you chasing time? There are a few things SG wise alone that can cut your time a lot more than light loads...

Remember this is a 12g 20" shotgun... It is going to kick more than the lever not matter what you do and thats a part of the game...

Comment

• TheOtherLeft
            TheOtherLeft commented
            Editing a comment
            [quote="Luke H" post=23558]
            Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=23248
            Hi guys,
            Big question is are you getting sore or are you chasing time? There are a few things SG wise alone that can cut your time a lot more than light loads...

Remember this is a 12g 20" shotgun... It is going to kick more than the lever not matter what you do and thats a part of the game...
            At the moment I'm getting sore as I haven't shot much and I have girly shoulders. I have more important aspects to look at first for chasing time, i.e. shotgun loading, transitions, whether or not to ditch the crappy semi-buckhorn and replacing it with a flat top instead...

Fiocchi have a low recoil slug, and 12 gauge 2 1/2" shot don't have contact detail check the net they are available in Vic not too expensive but a noticable reduced recoil I am using them through an IAC 87 Lever for competition without any issues. :P

Comment

I bought a box of Win XtraLite with 1180 fps. It doesn't kick as hard as the Bronze Wing I had previously.

I'm still waiting on the Winlite/Featherlite to come back in stock though.

Comment

Interesting comments, as far as low recoil loads go, I may be accused of being a salesman, but from what our customers have said our B&P competition lites are one of the lightest recoiling shells on the market, they have a low velocity 1180 fps and also the gorden system to reduce felt recoil.I have been told our 28gr lites recoil less than competitors 24 gr loads. I have used comp one lites extensively on DTL and Universal trench targets and have found ABSOLUTLEY no difference in leads. Truth is no matter how fast you drive 7.5 shot at the muzzle, by 40 meters they are all doing very similar velocities. The faster you push something the faster it slows down. For most targets, well nearly all, the 1200 fps mark is perfect.

Comment

• fxol
                fxol commented
                Editing a comment
                HPA,

Do you do low recoil field loads?

Frank

Hi Frank,
              yes I have some low recoil 32 gram #4. They are doing about 1328fps and priced at $90 per slab. From the customers that have used them this year on the rice fields they have all come back as incredible duck loads ! Limited quantities available.

cheers
              Jeff

Comment

Working...
              X