Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/U Vs S/S Shotguns - Your views required

G'day everyone,
    I am in the process of wanting to purchase my first shotgun. Although I may shoot clays on occasions (recreational) its main job will be hunting, especially for rabbits at night. I am not wanting to spend a fortune (up to $1K) and although I have seen plenty of O/U advertised and attractive prices I do love the traditional look of a S/S shotgun.

For those members that have had experience with both can you offer some positives and negatives with both. Key areas of interest for me are ease of use, ease of loading and weight given that I would be doing a lot of walking with it.

Look forward to your thoughts and ideas

Cheers
    VB1971

If your shooting from the back of a ute then the side by side is the go. I dont know if anybody uses a sis by side for clays though

Comment

• Unwavering
      Unwavering commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by HarryL" post=22849
      If your shooting from the back of a ute then the side by side is the go. I dont know if anybody uses a sis by side for clays though
      Harry can you provide info on the Benelli Shotgun..............sorry, I almost forgot, you're against Law Abiding Shooters owning anything other than single shot.

I own both; a SxS 20" barreled coach gun and a U/O sporter with 30" barrels & screw-in chokes. The coach gun is my dedicated scrub-hunting shottie (though I have busted clays with it too for a bit of fun) while I use the U/O as my trap gun.

Barrel lengths aside, I find the SxS configuration easier for tracking horizontally-moving ground-based targets (ie: pigs, rabbits) while I find the U/O layout good for zeroing in on rising clays.

Comment

Both types have their own advantages over the other for certain tasks. For example, an U/O will be better for most purposes if you are restricted to one gun for everything. There will be less felt recoil with an U/O than a SxS using the same shells.
      The perceived reloading speed advantage of the SxS (with ejectors) for hunting in tight spots because of the lesser opening movement may only be true for those who are very practiced in their use. Those who are used to a U/O can be just as quick.
      My advice would be to try both types (borrow from someone) and give them both a fair trial.
      I have used both and am more comfortable with an U/O due to my greater familarity with it and would recommend one of reputable quality. (A good 2nd hand one may be within your budget).
      As you intend to do a lot of walking around I would suggest a lighter weight gun (about 7.25 pounds (3 and a bit kgs)) with 28 inch barrels that is well balanced and most importantly, fits you. Choose the type that feels the best to you. You are the one who will be using it.
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

S/S mate she's a lighter gun, one more thing I like about S/S you don't have to break it open as far to get the empty's out.
        Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

I have many of each.

These days I shoot clay targets only.

If I want to achieve maximum results, I always choose to shoot an U/O.

Please explain. :lol:

Comment

• MrCarbine
            MrCarbine commented
            Editing a comment
            Pick the one that feels best to you!
            The double has that classic look and feel that is hard to beat but the o/u has the better sighting plane which most people prefer.

hi I have one of each for shooting sporting clays and I shoot the same scores with both the u/o is a 3800 miruko and the sxs is a fabarm

Comment

• SNOOPY
            SNOOPY commented
            Editing a comment
            The sxs always felt awkward to me so I never owned one, it was always the auto, then when we lost them the u/o until a few years back, when a mate came over with a merkel sxs from a deceased estate, fitted like a glove. Prefer to use that on fox drives now, as very tight chokes and auto ejectors, I guess it just comes down to what you feel comfortable with.Cheers

I read in a english shooting magazine a opinion from a top shooting coach that he found most people shot better with a under and over than a SXS.I have used both and find i shoot much better with a under and over,or a semi-auto when i was allowed to have one..Personal taste i suppose,and i notice some people say a SXS is a better field gun,but i find the under and over better.cheers

Comment

• VB1971
            VB1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Everyone,
            Together with your views and reading other articles online I have decided to buy an O/U and at this stage will consider the Akar Sporter 30". Being an entry level gun would most LGS assist with advice on fitting? Cheers

I won't comment on the pro's and cons of SXS or O/U but i did listen to a podcast by jason selmes , AHP #13 where he talked to serious shotgun hunter and feathers and fur editor graham eames (I'll try to post a link but it's not on the AHP archives)

He talked about this topic, they discussed what happened in '96 when the hunters lost their semi shotguns and got their cheques from johnny a lot of them went to replace their guns and the market wat full of trap and sporting clays over and unders so thats what they bought.

he said that for duck hunting in water or from a boat the SXS was the go because of the shallow opening angle

steve

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 6602steven" post=24878
            I won't comment on the pro's and cons of SXS or O/U but i did listen to a podcast by jason selmes , AHP #13 where he talked to serious shotgun hunter and feathers and fur editor graham eames (I'll try to post a link but it's not on the AHP archives)

He talked about this topic, they discussed what happened in '96 when the hunters lost their semi shotguns and got their cheques from johnny a lot of them went to replace their guns and the market wat full of trap and sporting clays over and unders so thats what they bought.

he said that for duck hunting in water or from a boat the SXS was the go because of the shallow opening angle

steve
            Link here

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/tscmd/apop/572823

Steve

Well i think he is wrong.There is very little difference in loading time between a SXS and a under and over,and this line has been oversold i feel.I have used both types of shotguns for hunting ducks and have never felt that my reloading time with a under and over is any handicap at all over a SXS,and on the swamps in gippsland the U/O reign supreme.cheers

Comment

• HarryL
            HarryL commented
            Editing a comment
            I think if you are shooting stuff from the back of a ute the side by side is easier coz you dont have to open the action of the gun as far

If you really wanted keep your eyes open and put some feelers out you could get both might not be the prettiest thing but if shes on the back of a ute who cares as long as it preforms and shoots right I just picked up a nicelil single barrel h&r 12g for $77 absolute gem and sure youll find em if ya look

Comment

Working...
          X