Favourite shotgun load for pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite shotgun load for pigs

Just a bit of a poll to see what your favourite buckshot load/brand is for the ol piggies using a 12g..
    Typical distances walking through the scrub of say 0-30 yards...
    I use an akkar churchill..

00 buck or SGs which are the same thing, work really well I have poleaxed some decent boars with some SGs

Comment

yep,........gotta love the solids for the first shot on a stationary porker if its a decent one, followed up with sg's for the ones on the run.
      all done with a tightly choked shotty.
      last time I used the shotty, I used my Winchester diamond grade skeet gun instead of my ol' SxS that I normally use, and shot at a small
      pig on a creek bank and saw 9 sg pellets make a perfect circle surround him. (doh!!)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	photo34.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	37032
      hence a real quick 2nd shot half a pig forward.

real pity I didn't get that shot on film.

Comment

• TwoFourThree
        TwoFourThree commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=22541
        yep,........gotta love the solids for the first shot on a stationary porker if its a decent one, followed up with sg's for the ones on the run.
        last time I used the shotty, I used my Winchester diamond grade skeet gun instead of my ol' SxS that I normally use, and shot at a small
        pig on a creek bank and saw 9 sg pellets make a perfect circle surround him. (doh!!)

hence a real quick 2nd shot half a pig forward.

real pity I didn't get that shot on film.
        Know of a bloke who put up a mob of 9 piglets and gave the mob one load of SG's(9 pellets), 8 of them fell over stone dead, he did not fire his second barrel as the result of the first shot surprised him that much.
        Attached Files

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=22541
        I have never used tight chokes, but I thought tight chokes weren't suitable for slugs and cause more spread with buckshot. Have I been mislead?

When I had the supermarket at the turn of the century, we used to sell SG's far more than any other buckshot or shell (out of magpie goose season of course), and we stocked every variety by the crapload.

When I wasn't eating or drinking the profits, I was blowing them away :lol:
      Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        BBs are my favourite all round shell, hoping to apply some of my home cast solids in the near future.

Shot heaps of pigs with winchester SG/s,found any thing smaller sometimes did not nail the bigger pigs.cheers

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        00 SG's & Winchester super X 1oz solids. (still got a few boxes of the solids)

Worked a treat back when I had the 8 Shot Bently pump gun pre 96'.
        The Bently had rifle sights on it so the Solids were deadly accurate out to about 100m & hit like a sledge hammer.

Mick.
    Working...
    X