Clay Shooting Coach???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Shooting Coach???

I am not long involved in the shotgun sports and are looking for a half decent coach to teach me the basics. I am currently working in WA but will fly to any point in Australia to get a good days coaching.

Any ideas on who the best to advise me is and how much it will cost?

What discipline do you want to shoot?

Comment

I dont really know. Probably Trap interests me the most.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by HarryL" post=21654
        I dont really know. Probably Trap interests me the most.
        Russel Mark and Adam Vella are both Melbourne based.
        Adam usually works at the Frankston club, while Russel is Werribee direction (closer to the airport if that's important).

Ok Thanks. Not sure who Adam Vella is , but maybe Russel Mark may be a little higher up the coaching scale than what I need at the moment. Any idea what the market price for a coach per hour is?

Comment

Where abouts in WA are you?
        Most clubs have a coach some better than others. If you can tell me what area you are in I should be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

• HarryL
          HarryL commented
          Editing a comment
          I work at Port Headland but commute to Sydney every month. Can get to Melbourne or Brisbane just as easy

Check out Southernshooters.com.au they do all sorts of firearms training and coaching. They are in SA but.

Cheers,

Shaun.

Comment

http://www.corporateshootingstars.com.au/index.php/world-class-coaching/coaching-packages

Comment

Unless your chosen club is entirely populated by [email protected], If you ask nicely. any of the clubs resident old boys who have retired and have nothing better to do will show you ropes for a few beers.

I'd only pay for coaching if you've mastered the basics (as taught by the club veterans collective knowledge) have stablized in scoring/grading and looking to take the next step.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Win88" post=28197

I'd only pay for coaching if you've mastered the basics

+1

Another piece of advice is the listen to only one person (or at most two people, ideally two that agree with each other).
            If you start getting advice from a crowd, some of it will be contradictory and you wont know which advice to follow and this will confuse you even more.
            This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

• HarryL
              HarryL commented
              Editing a comment
              I have actually never been to a proper gun club yet, but I have reads lots in shooters mags and the net. I am already confused but its the basic stuff I need to learn

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by TwoFourThree" post=28296
              Another piece of advice is the listen to only one person
              :lol: listen to him... not me

I still get a bit confused with it all as well so someone can correct me if I am wrong.
            From my understanding is that with the higher stock you are up a bit higher so see the clay more easily which helps as they are all going away from you.

Not sure if this is right though.
            I always thought that it shouldn't matter as it is see target hit target!?

Who are you getting to do your coaching HarryL?

Comment

• HarryL
              HarryL commented
              Editing a comment
              I am like you Kara. I think the higher stock means the gun shoots higher??? For trap or DTL ( I think they are the same ) this is a good thing. For field shooting it is a bad thing.

Lauryn Mark is doing a three hour session with me

You might have to try a few different thickness' of foam like varminator has done. Maybe take some with you and get lauryn to help out.

http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/shotguns/2294-my-first-go-at-competition-shooting

Comment

• HarryL
              HarryL commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah thats good advice Kara. I looked at get a riser put in and its 250 bucks at best
          Working...
          X