Need cheap reliable shotty for around the house: snakes and such.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need cheap reliable shotty for around the house: snakes and such.

G'day Shotgun People.

Been trying to put it off for a while as i've been spending money on setting up rifles etc, but as i just had to deal with a tiger snake about 5m from the house with a 22 and 6x scope, i've informed the wife it's time to get a shotty. Strangely, she agrees

Anyway. Went to abusedguns (as people like to call it). Heaps of shotties but most run into the thousands and only saw 4-5 for sale in Tas!

Just need something that isn't going to fall apart or blow up on me. Will just be for snakes and the occasional bunny.

Anyone got some suggestions as to where/what to look for? Or got an old cheapy they'd be happy to part with?

Cheers

Gwion
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

A good length of PVC pipe does the job, keep it long and flexible. No need for a shotgun. Just give them a poke and they will disappear. I don't worry about snakes around my place, can't see the point in killing them.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      A Boito .410 single barrel would be perfect, or a double if you wanna spend a tad more.

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=20962
      A good length of PVC pipe does the job, keep it long and flexible. No need for a shotgun. Just give them a poke and they will disappear. I don't worry about snakes around my place, can't see the point in killing them.
      My dog had it bailed up. Was having a nice afternoon snooze on the couch and my wife came woke me up. They have 190 acre to slither around on, just don't want them that close to the house and don't want to loose my dog.

Haven't killed a snake in about 27 years until today. Last time i was 14 or 15.

If its just for snakes and a bunny here or there grab an old H&R single barrel.... Pick one up for next to nothing... Doesn't matter if it gets banged around.

Comment

I wouldn't muck around with snakes I'd be thinking double barrel 12 ga 20 inch barrels .

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=20995
        I wouldn't muck around with snakes I'd be thinking double barrel 12 ga 20 inch barrels .
        Yep, exactly what I was thinking. My Stoeger coach-gun would be perfectly suited to the task (which is why it always comes with me when I'm camping out in the bush for a while, since I've found that cold nights combined with campfires and warm swags/sleeping bags tend to be the perfect combination for attracting snakes and other creepy-crawlies).

i was looking for something more for bunnies or the slow fox but this is what i bought recently

i've paid more for a set of dies

steve

Comment

Yep them snakes are usually close or can get close quick . We had a big snake sneaking around our left over yabbie shells one trip out west lucky we were leaving we left a bit quicker . Gotta Watch we're you chuck your yabbie left overs .
        You can buy low recoil ammo for the 12 ga too

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=21010
          You can buy low recoil ammo for the 12 ga too
          Righto. Didn't know that. Cheers.

Hey... doesn't that single barrel 12g kick like a mofo???

I am a snake magnet and have had hundreds of encounters with tigers and browns and rebellies, they really don't bother me that much; but when they take up residence next to the path to the chook yard i sort of feel obliged to take action.

Don't worry about snakes...they are freaking everywhere. I get Tigers and Browns with the occasional Copperhead and am surrounded by State Forest. They are always here. Just keep your eyes open. They will not go out of their way to attack you. The Tigers might put on a show of bravado, rear up and flatten their heads like a Cobra but it's all show. Just keep your distance. Most people get bitten trying to kill them...shotguns are not needed...and it is illegal to kill them.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=21023
          Don't worry about snakes...they are freaking everywhere. I get Tigers and Browns with the occasional Copperhead and am surrounded by State Forest. They are always here. Just keep your eyes open. They will not go out of their way to attack you. The Tigers might put on a show of bravado, rear up and flatten their heads like a Cobra but it's all show. Just keep your distance. Most people get bitten trying to kill them...shotguns are not needed...and it is illegal to kill them.
          Hey Sambar. Honestly mate, i grew up on the Ovens & KIng flood plains. I'm no stranger to snakes, have had some very close calls with them and this is the first Joe Blake i've felt required killing for over 25 years.

IF you missed this thread by Ranger (a member who has worked professionally with snakes) :
          http://www.shootingaustralia.net/forum/camping/444-the-everything-you-needed-to-know-guide-to-snakes

Suffice it to say that i thought myself, my wife or my dogs would be at risk from this snake and it had to go.

Cheers
          Gwion

A Harrington & Richardson stainless steel Tamer 410. Top little
        Shotgun easily handled by a smaller person.retails for approx $350 .Its barrel is fairly short which makes it very quick to point. I never used to worry about snakes too much until I lost my best dog to a large brown a few years ago.

Comment

• several
          several commented
          Editing a comment
          I lived on a farm most of my life and tended to let snakes go about their business out in the paddocks, but if they wandered into the house yard they didn't last long.

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Dozer" post=21029
          A Harrington & Richardson stainless steel Tamer 410. Top little
          Shotgun easily handled by a smaller person.retails for approx $350 .Its barrel is fairly short which makes it very quick to point. I never used to worry about snakes too much until I lost my best dog to a large brown a few years ago.
          Thanks for the tip. Hadn't hear of those guns.

Yeah, if i didn't have dogs i wouldn't be as worried. My young dog love chasing lizards so i can tell he's going to cop it one day.

Gwion,
        You could call a snake catcher. Shooting snakes isnt the image, shooters want to portray....

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Oddball" post=21050
          Gwion,
          You could call a snake catcher. Shooting snakes isnt the image, shooters want to portray....

Thanks,

Oddball
          No snake catchers around here.

It is legal and justifiable to shoot snakes if they are a danger to yourself or your family. This snake was.

I bought a Stoger .410 U/O exactly for that purpose. Paid more than I should have as was coming back in t shooting and didn't know prices etc. But its perfect for vermin around the farm.

Also double as a fun clay target gun to fire that isn't as scary as the 12g for the young'uns. Or nice to bring the hot shots down a bit it they get too good on the 12g

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by MountainMan" post=21172
          I bought a Stoger .410 U/O exactly for that purpose. Paid more than I should have as was coming back in t shooting and didn't know prices etc. But its perfect for vermin around the farm.

Also double as a fun clay target gun to fire that isn't as scary as the 12g for the young'uns. Or nice to bring the hot shots down a bit it they get too good on the 12g
          So, at what range could you get a bunny with a 410?

I'd look at an old 12g side by side. Cheap as chips.
        You can use light loads AND heavy loads for large pests and you have another shot on standby.

Plus when you get old and grumpy you need on a SxS to complete the picture.

Comment

this is the greatest excuse ever to buy a judge...
          Roses are red, mud is brown, Windows up, loud pedal down!

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I also support the earlier comment recommending a couple of wide (6"/150mm) roller bandages be kept in a couple of key points around the place (bathroom, farm ute etc) just in case. I survived a bite from an eastern brown snake due to the quick work of my dad (with a couple of roller bandages) many years ago.

A 410 will fine when you are at home. A suggest getting a house cat as well - a moggy does a good job dealing with the smaller snakes and it doesn't matter if you are at home or not.

Regards

Peter

My vote is for the Rossi Rio Grande .410 lever. 2.5'' shells only but plenty of fun in the shed chasing pest birds.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=16
          Formally know as 462......

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 462" post=21403
            My vote is for the Rossi Rio Grande .410 lever. 2.5'' shells only but plenty of fun in the shed chasing pest birds.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=16
            ooh! I'm liking that lever over the circuit judge! I'll just see if there are any online in Australia.

Cheers for the input, everyone.

I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more old SxS 12g around at the "cheap as chips" price range. The ones that aren't sloppy and look like they're about to fall apart are asking around $500 for locally!!! Seems too expensive for an old blunderbus!???! What price should i be looking at for an old SXS?

I have a Rossi 12g SxS in very good condition. Tight as a drum.
          PM me if you are interested.
          My safe is chocka and it's in the road plus I don't use it.
          It's only been fired a few times.

Comment

• Mack260rem
            Mack260rem commented
            Editing a comment
            Dead set Save the $$$ and shells
            Use a long handle garden Hoe or shovel, that's all ya need ...never fails

and a 12ga coach gun is going to be way more fun than a rake . like boom :lol: or whack with a rake ahh missed snake bit me :lol:

Comment

Working...
          X