Getting started, any Sydney club recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started, any Sydney club recommendations?

Hello all,

I have decided to get out of pistol shooting (too hard to keep up the shoots, and a little too $$$ with a new son around) and am looking to get into smashing clays instead.

It is a little hard to find good info online about getting into clays. Are there any recommendations on:

- best clubs to join in Sydney ( I am in the eastern suburbs) with good coaching resources and facilities
    - best online resources and any Australian forums dedicated to clays
    - any recommendations on which discipline to start with, still trying to get my head around the differences between skeet, sporting etc
    - first gun purchase, what should I get and what am I looking for

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Ben

I've recently started shooting clays out at Cecil Park, so I can answer from a beginner's perspective like yourself. Although Cecil Park's a fair distance from the Eastern suburbs as the crow flies, you can get there reasonably quickly by heading straight down the M5 & then turning onto the M7; the SISC is only about a 3 min drive from the M7 off-ramp. Great facilities (was built for the 2000 Olympics after all), wide variety of different disciplines (down-the-line is perfect for beginners like me to learn on) and very helpful ROs & regulars who are only too happy to help and give you some free advice & coaching. Even during busy times (Saturday arvo for example) you never really have to wait long to get onto the line.

Another good thing about Cecil Park is that you don't need to join a club to shoot clays there, as you can get their "green card" which allows you to shoot there on a casual basis & thus allows you to give clay shooting a good try first before you decide later on down the track if you want to really want to join clubs and get into the competition side of things & all that.

I've been renting the club guns they have there to get an idea what I'm after and what makes a "perfect fit", and am about to purchase my first sporter (whenever the PTA arrives, that is) now that I know a bit about the different disciplines and types of shotties & their chokes, etc. Decided to get a sub-$1000 gun (ATAs & Akkars are good value for the money) to start with and then may upgrade in the future if I really get into the sport & feel the need.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I will check them out and get out there in the next few weekends to see what the story is. M5 then M7 is pretty easy, traffic dependant!

I like Sydney clay target club and field and game. Both clubs are right beside each other and between both clubs you can do skeet, trap, 5 stand, the lot. Field and game is the most fun and more of a challenge. Field and game is meant to replicate hunting, they even have clays that roll across the ground and the best thing about them is that you get a free BBQ at the end of each day.
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Jason,

They are down heathcote rd aren't they.

Ben

One more thing you would like to know, Shotgun clubs membership prices are very cheap compared to handgun clubs. Always good news.
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

• nate
      nate commented
      Editing a comment
      I go to Terey Hills... what an experience its been...

on P650 (had done quite a bit of rifle stuff)... call, make a booking a few days out, call again an hour before to double check...
      "yeah no problem, come up - there'll be someone here"
      arrive... wait 30min... speak to the RO, pretty much get yelled at "i'm busy, you're gonna have to sit and wait"
      wait another 30min...

Promised myself that I would never join & give them any extra money, i go there, unload & come home.
      The club needs a refresh & they know it.

Marconi Clay Target Club on Heathcoat Rd. Great club with good people and atmosphear.

Comment

I went to Cecil park for the first time on Saturday with a mate and we loved it so much we joined. As mentioned by someone else it was built for the Olympics and the facilities are top notch.

Comment

I will have to visit Cecil Park.

Comment

Originally posted by flemo" post=16305
          Hello all,

I have decided to get out of pistol shooting (too hard to keep up the shoots, and a little too $$$ with a new son around) and am looking to get into smashing clays instead.

It is a little hard to find good info online about getting into clays. Are there any recommendations on:

- best clubs to join in Sydney ( I am in the eastern suburbs) with good coaching resources and facilities
          - best online resources and any Australian forums dedicated to clays
          - any recommendations on which discipline to start with, still trying to get my head around the differences between skeet, sporting etc
          - first gun purchase, what should I get and what am I looking for

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Ben

Comment

G'day Flemo,

I have to ask the same question as Russell.... Where are you situated?
            "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• magoo
              magoo commented
              Editing a comment
              Did they shoot shotty at Malabar as the SSAA are looking to get back in there aren't they.

I'd also like to get into busting clays somewhere in Sydney.

20 Years ago I shot Simulated Field at Castlereagh near penrith and would then go shoot some Skeet out at Windsor.

I'm pretty sure both ranges are gone now.

I'm now living in Sydney's NW.

Where would be the closest club for myself and 13yo son to get involved?

Comment

Working...
            X