Bolt action shotguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt action shotguns

Who has one and what do they think? I'm interested in it mainly because they are not super common. It's main purpose for me would be close up rabbits I know there may be far better suited double barrels around but I like things that area little different.

Originally posted by Kmus" post=15495
    Who has one and what do they think? I'm interested in it mainly because they are not super common. It's main purpose for me would be close up rabbits I know there may be far better suited double barrels around but I like things that area little different.
    The savage line of bolt shot guns are ment for slugs. I belive they are rifled, also a 2 round magazine and come in at $980 from NOIA ( are the importer or is it Berretta ??? )

Serria one might chime in on this thread.

Have a look at his you tube vid code named the WOLFAM project. That thing he built is insane fun

Comment

• Kmus
      Kmus commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=15512
      Originally posted by Kmus" post=15495
      The savage line of bolt shot guns are ment for slugs. I belive they are rifled, also a 2 round magazine and come in at $980 from NOIA ( are the importer or is it Berretta ??? )

Serria one might chime in on this thread.

Have a look at his you tube vid code named the WOLFAM project. That thing he built is insane fun

Cheers for the info skip, I did not think about the barrel being rifled. Will using normal shells in it damage the riffling?

Most of the new bolt action shot guns such as Savage 210 or 212 or Browning A-bolts are rifled.
    As skip said they are made for slugs
    I had a Browning A-Bolt but sold it as it was a safe queen,wish i still had it ,was fun as hell
    You can scope them and shoot things out to 200 meters.
    They hold a good 2-3 inch group ,and have muzzle rise when you shoot em.They do give you a good kick
    They have a mag that holds 2 slugs ,usually 2 and 3/4
    Heard some of the savage have feeding issues with the mags.
    They are a great deer rifle. I shot a few boars with them and they do drop with a plop.

As for hunting rabbits with one ,lets just say they would end up as a puff of fur when you hit them.
    If you after an old bolt action shotgun , that was a smooth bore they would be fine to hunt rabbits with using buck shot ect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	003_2013-10-15.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	31283

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	31284

Comment

• Kmus
      Kmus commented
      Editing a comment
      [quote="Red Quoll" post=15531]Most of the new bolt action shot guns such as Savage 210 or 212 or Browning A-bolts are rifled.
      As skip said they are made for slugs
      I had a Browning A-Bolt but sold it as it was a safe queen,wish i still had it ,was fun as hell
      You can scope them and shoot things out to 200 meters.
      They hold a good 2-3 inch group ,and have muzzle rise when you shoot em.They do give you a good kick
      They have a mag that holds 2 slugs ,usually 2 and 3/4
      Heard some of the savage have feeding issues with the mags.
      They are a great deer rifle. I shot a few boars with them and they do drop with a plop.

As for hunting rabbits with one ,lets just say they would end up as a puff of fur when you hit them.
      If you after an old bolt action shotgun , that was a smooth bore they would be fine to hunt rabbits with using buck shot ect.

Thanks, yeah I was not aware the new ones were riffled, I was thinking it would be a smooth bore. Maybe I will have a look around at second hand smooth bores. Nice pics

I understand that "rifled shotguns" like this are designed to get around restrictions on the use of rifles on public land in some US states. I personally can't see a practical reason for having one if you can use a rifle, slugs aren't as accurate, shoot like a rainbow, cost the earth and kick like a bull. But hey, it's recreation and the only reason that you really need to own one is that you want one so if it float's your boat, break a leg .
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

• Kmus
      Kmus commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=15550
      I understand that "rifled shotguns" like this are designed to get around restrictions on the use of rifles on public land in some US states. I personally can't see a practical reason for having one if you can use a rifle, slugs aren't as accurate, shoot like a rainbow, cost the earth and kick like a bull. But hey, it's recreation and the only reason that you really need to own one is that you want one so if it float's your boat, break a leg .
      Hi shotgunner, I was not really interested in the slugs or having a rifled barrel. In fact did not know they only came in rifled barrels. I would be after one of the old smooth bore ones. For no other reason than to have something a little different.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=15550
      I think that's a bit of a negative response.
      It seems shot gun users frown upon these types of rifles because in their opinion they should be called rifle.

I have just bought one, the Marlin SlugMaster I think it looks sexy..
      This is just a pic of the net i dont have mine yet waiting on PTA, also I dont have the scope mounted and i dont intend to mount a scope on it..
      It has a rifled barrel and i am told it would be useless for shot, but this is not a problem.

I bought it because-
      - I like taking my 1861 Enfield 58cal musketoon hunting.. but i hate cleaning it..
      - I like Big Game Rifles one day i will get the Sharps 45/70 or 100 but brass is to expensive
      - The Marlin Slugmaster is so cute
      - It will lunch 600 grain pills at some 1500+ fps
      - It uses standard 12 Gauge high brass or all plastic shot shells.
      - I can use it economically for big Game Rifle.
      - I dont have a problem with the recoil..

I have a couple, one is a Savage 210 that is highly modified and the other is a Marlin goose gun with a 36" barrel. You can't shoot shot out of the rifled barrel, it sprays all over the place. You maybe could get one of the screw on parts that the revolving carbines use to shoot the .410 out of. This is not spiral rifled it is straight to stop the spin. On my Savage I've reamed the rifling out as I use this shotgun for IPSC comps.

Regards
    jb

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a shoulder of an old Mauser bolt-action shottie a while ago that was for sale in a gunshop; pretty sure it had a smooth bore too. Think it was 16 or 20 gauge though from memory, & it was going for 200 bucks.

Any double will be better for shotgun work than a bolt-action.

But if you have your heart set on one then look for a 2nd hand Mossberg, a few were bought in after 1996 and they had synthetic stocks and 3 or 5 shot mags.

There are probably a lot of older Mossbergs about too.
    This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. As I stated at the start I know there may be better suited firearms out there but I want something that not everyone has, and that one day I can pass onto my kids and so forth. It won't be one of my most used guns just something fun to take out every now and then.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Kmus" post=15978
        Thanks for all the info everyone. As I stated at the start I know there may be better suited firearms out there but I want something that not everyone has.
        Theres probably a good reason why bolt action shotguns never set the world on fire... they not too flash

That said, the new Victorian game regulations allow deer hunting with a 12ga/slugs, which would be quite formidable on Sambar in close country

My old man has a mossberg bolt action. It's a timber stock with screw adjustable choke. Pretty fun to shoot and is something different. I've nailed a few pigs with it no worries, like others have said, follow up shots aren't fast but what's it matter when your having fun.

Comment

• H-Train
        H-Train commented
        Editing a comment
        Often thought about getting a bolt action 12g, or a greener GP, just for spotlighting bunnies. Breaking an u/o open in the car is a PITA.

Hi I use to have a mossberg bolt action 3 shot mag with an adjustable choke. It wasn't any pump action for reloading speed off the back of a ute doing 60km/h but walking through gullies or stalking wheat crops for bunnies you couldn't beat it for accuracy. I personally never used shot ant bigger than BB's cause I was worried about ripping the choke off with Buckshot or SG's.

Comment

I have, and use, two Slazenger .410 ga. converted Lee-Enfields.
        One is as converted and has a full choke, good on rabbits and the other had the choke removed and is useful to fire slugs.

They both can fire full power military .303 rounds, not very accurate but effective at point blank range.

I also have an Indian Lee-Enfield .410 musket which is very effective firing solids.

Comment

I have a old sportco 12g 3 shot bolt gun here, fun but gun, would be good for bunnies.

Comment

I've had three Mosbergs B/A shotguns over the last doz years and still own one now, have shot
            all sorts of game with it. They pop up for sale from time to time.

cheers

Comment

• Mack260rem
              Mack260rem commented
              Editing a comment
              Mossberg and Sportco these old ones are great, shot a Mossberg 12 and 410 BA many yrs ago, but would love to own a nice sportco.
              Would rather have one of these old one than a light weight new model

I have a Sportco model 81. Have fired all shot sizes and slugs. Great fun.

Comment

The oldman has a Webley Single shot bolt action .410. Must be about 40 years old now and in great order.

The first gun that I ever shot

Comment

The stock is a Vltor, I think that is the name. The rest I made from ally tube and bar stock. I have a few different mags, the one with the shottie is a 12 shot Surefie. I can get 13 in them and have had 15 with a few mods. They are more reliable with 12 and now that IPSC has changed the rules to suit the yanks and their 1187's I can only load 10 to start off with. The 1187's tube mags can hold 14. I also have 6 & 9 shot mags. I had the AR sight on but ran out of time to make/mount a front sight before the Nationals so I put the Trijicon RMR back on.

Regards
                john

PS I just noticed the pic is upside down, will need someone who knows more about this stuff than me to correct it.

Comment

Working...
                X