Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franchi Phoenix

Hi Shooters,
    I went out to a local shoot today and had a bit of a look at the Franchi Phoenix, which one of the other guys had.
    If possible could some owners of this gun post some images and there impressions. It seems to be VERY well put together and a pretty good deal for the money.
    I am no expert but it seems to be in the same category as a Miroku MK70 or Lanber 2097 Lux while being about $200 cheaper.

What do you all think?

When I bought my Lanber the Miroku was my other choice. In the end the final decision came down to which gun shouldered better - the Lanber won

BTW, Claytons in Vic has the Phoenix slightly more expensive than the Lanber. But even if your LGS has them $200 cheaper, it's not a bargain if it doesn't feel right to you. Pop into the store, close your eyes and shoulder each one. Without the visual distraction as your bring to the shoulder, one of the guns will feel more natural to you.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely understand what you mean. I like the Lanber's, in fact I already own a second hand one.
      Having said that I'm not really looking at Lanber anymore due to the company going into liquidation. For me personally all three guns come up well.

• Jason Lefty
      Jason Lefty commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mister" post=14156
      When I bought my Lanber the Miroku was my other choice. In the end the final decision came down to which gun shouldered better - the Lanber won

BTW, Claytons in Vic has the Phoenix slightly more expensive than the Lanber. But even if your LGS has them $200 cheaper, it's not a bargain if it doesn't feel right to you. Pop into the store, close your eyes and shoulder each one. Without the visual distraction as your bring to the shoulder, one of the guns will feel more natural to you.
      Spot on, couldn't have said it better myself.

I picked up a Phoenix a few months ago, previously had a Beretta silver pigeon S sporter that gave me a black eye (Beretta adjusted it for me, but I couldn't seem to hold it right and got gun shy).

I bought the Phoenix because it was the one that shouldered better than any other gun in the shop. I do alright with the Mrs Miroku mk10 but the balance just isn't quite right. So what can you do but buy the gun that of the shelf feels the best?

So that said... At $1450 with 5 chokes and a hardcase, I would say it isn't the greatest value for money. A silver pigeon or mk10 goes for about $800 more but you can certainly see where the money goes... The Franchis have a nice finish to the stock and the engraving isn't too bad, but the finish of absolutely every every other aspect of the gun is poor at best. Poor for a Japanese or Italian gun that is. Bluing is quite thin, had to clean up a little rust already.

But it does seem quite sturdy and well designed. I love the mechanical trigger, though the sear needed a very slight polish to fix the heavy, gritty trigger pull.

I'm not going to flog the Franchi off anytime soon, but if off the shelf gun fit isn't an issue then I would probably spend a little more in my next life

Comment

• newrycol
      newrycol commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm another that's glad I bought a Franchi Phoenix, so far I've put about 700 shots through mine, (DTL and ducks) and not one hiccup, it fits me well, patterns well with most shells, especially likes 3" Winchester Blindsides in steel and so it bloody should considering the cost of them.
      But as others have said, shoulder a few shotguns and see which suits you best.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by NinetySix" post=14338
      I picked up a Phoenix a few months ago, previously had a Beretta silver pigeon S sporter that gave me a black eye (Beretta adjusted it for me, but I couldn't seem to hold it right and got gun shy).

I bought the Phoenix because it was the one that shouldered better than any other gun in the shop. I do alright with the Mrs Miroku mk10 but the balance just isn't quite right. So what can you do but buy the gun that of the shelf feels the best?

So that said... At $1450 with 5 chokes and a hardcase, I would say it isn't the greatest value for money. A silver pigeon or mk10 goes for about $800 more but you can certainly see where the money goes... The Franchis have a nice finish to the stock and the engraving isn't too bad, but the finish of absolutely every every other aspect of the gun is poor at best. Poor for a Japanese or Italian gun that is. Bluing is quite thin, had to clean up a little rust already.

But it does seem quite sturdy and well designed. I love the mechanical trigger, though the sear needed a very slight polish to fix the heavy, gritty trigger pull.

I'm not going to flog the Franchi off anytime soon, but if off the shelf gun fit isn't an issue then I would probably spend a little more in my next life
      After reading this I might look at the Miroku again. it seems to fit me well and everyone seems to LOVE them. The only thing is, they do not come with a case which is a bit of a bummer.

Can you buy a factory case online from somewhere?

I like you was tossing up between the Phoenix and the Miroku for my first shotgun I wasn't to fussed about the price difference, what it came down to was the fit and the Franchi just seemed to fit better. I got mine from Mialls in Frankston and Jon let me have a shot with it in their range under the shop. Felt great so I bought it. took it to the clay range and busted my first 10 clays straight to say i was over the moon was an understatement. It dropped its first rabbit last week, all in all im very happy with mine and would definitely recommend it. Hope that helps

Comment

i got one for the ball chain and had adjust free to suit body frame by bretta she likes using when we go down to the farm and bust a few clays

Comment

Working...
      X