Clay Throwers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Throwers

Hi Guys, i am looking for peoples thoughts/opinions on clay throwers (the manual types).

Please feel free to add to the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	handthrower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	27306
    Hand Thrower
    Pros: very cheap, very small
    Cons: can't be used by yourself.
    price range $10-20

Name:	fullcock.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	27307
    Full Cock thrower
    Pros: cheap
    Cons:high risk of limb amputation
    Price$50-100

Name:	3quartcock.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	27308
    3/4 Cock thrower
    Pros: minimal effort to cock. Can throw different directions (rabbit)
    Cons: size
    Price $200

Name:	onestep.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	27309
    One Step Thrower
    Pros: shooter can release themselves. safe (device is never in "loaded position" - one step method loads and released in the same action
    Cons: can not throw rabbit
    Price $???

I have a hand thrower and its pretty good for a couple quick shots but no good for a decent session.

I have used a full cock thrower and although they do the job they are a pretty nasty machine.

I am keen on the 3/4 cock machine and want to rig up a solenoid release (old electronic boot release) so i can use it by myself.

Comment

I have one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clay-Target-Thrower-Top-shot-Industries-Target-Master-Single-with-stand-/281179550783

Works fine but the stand is basically crap as the bolts holding it together have to be *really* tight to not work loose after a few launches. A new more portable stand to attach it to the spare wheel is soon to be built.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

If you're getting a hand thrower these are the best
        http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shotgun/clay-thrower-ez-3.html

I personally wouldn't bother with those spring loaded ones they're crap. For about 500 you can get a car battery powered thrower that work 100 times better

Comment

Of all those there, the cheap plastic hand thrower will probably throw the best target once the person doing the 'throwing' gets the hang of it.
          I have several manual throwers and the more heavily constructed they are, the better they work. Those shown will not throw a decent pair of targets as they are not strong enough.
          Any trap that has a short throwing arm will not throw a target very far at all.

You may be better off going to a claytarget club near you and asking if they have any old manual traps they want to sell. Price should be about $100 or slightly more and will be much better than any other lightly constructed trap.
          This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I was about to start a thread exactly like this when the other site closed down.

I recently bought 1 of these:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfaJjhtGPT0

I also own one of the Mtm ones and I can safely say that the Wing One is A LOT better. Never broken a clay, throws better and also requires less technique / learning.
            If anyone is interested I can post some images and comparisons. Might be even able to post vid this weekend if you are keen.

Cheers

MB

This is the one I got a while back - from memory I paid $70 or so delivered off a fella on AHN. Haven't used it yet ,

Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• sn@abrc
            [email protected] commented
            Editing a comment
            I made my own- similar to the second pic down, except for a few minor differences-

-it can be pegged to the ground- but I also made a mount that bolts onto a jeep - suzuki - niva wheel rim,

-it doesnt use conventional clays- but runs crackers!

After much intensive testing :P of various brands of crackers- it was found that Jatz crackers were best- both aerodynamically and cost effectively.
            It is great for .410 practice out side, or with .22 ratshot when in the shed if its raining, and as a bonus, the dog cleans up the residue for you when you finish!

When I figure out how to post pics I will bung some photos up

stephen

• TwoFourThree
            TwoFourThree commented
            Editing a comment
            My first trap was a Trius model 73, back in the 1970's and very similar to this. It had a can throwing attachment that did not work well as aluminium cans were too light.
            Trap is OK for beginners but the pair will be one fast and one 'floating' target.
            I still have it but don't use it anymore.

Checked Cabelas out they also have a champion one link for $279 (rrp399!) postage $80 - was so close to buying one however i really want to be able to shoot doubles. This is a limitation with the entry level electric throwers

Ended up buying one of these from Top Shot Industries. It looks like the Do-all Pro Clayhawk Trap. Will see how it goes

Comment

Working...
          X