Making your own slugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your own slugs

Does anyone here use molds and make their own slugs?

Also this may be plain stupid but can you simply empty a standard field load like Bbs. Melt them down and make them into a slug and then put them back into the shell and shoot them

Cheers for any advice

Do a search on wax slugs, you use 7 1/2 shells and fill them with wax. I'm going to give them a go one of these days. One website talked about them being used for hunting

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      I make my own 1oz slugs, it's great fun. Yes you can use shot from loaded shells, iuse any lead I can get my hands on.

Here's some of mine.
      Attached Files

• 17Hornet
      17Hornet commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you can.

Make sure the shot weight in the original cartridge is correct for your slug mold eg 1oz lead shot from cartridge, melted down for 1oz slug.

Choose a mold that fits the slug back into the original wad and you can still crimp the cartridge closed again.
      Cheap slug rounds, Lee key 12G molds are common.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Ronin" post=9951
      Do a search on wax slugs, you use 7 1/2 shells and fill them with wax. I'm going to give them a go one of these days. One website talked about them being used for hunting
      Wax can melt in the shell on a hot day, you're better off using hot glue, I've tried it myself for shits and giggles, works a treat. not sure it'd have much penetration compared to a traditional 1oz slug though, as the shot/glue combination tends to deform very quickly on impact. The added bonus of using hot glue over wax is that the glue holds onto the piston and uses it like a drag stabiliser. I've managed to get them onto a SSAA 200m centerfire target at 200m with my short barrelled stoeger. Not on the bullseye, but on the paper which is impressive for that particular shotty.
      I've since invested in a lee 1oz mould though, which works great because you can just pop them into trap load shells and you're ready to go.

Get a candle and melt it down in a frying pan, cut open a shot shell and empty it into the melted candle in the pan. Fill the shot shell up with the melted candle mixed with the shot. Once it drys you got a pretty effective slug.
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

A Lee slug mold is cheap, I got a 7/8 slug mold for under $A40.

There are plenty of slug mold and wax slug clips on U tube, but I like the one from a guy known as KGB65. He is one of the channels linked from the hickok45 U tube channel. Pretty down to earth.

I got the 7/8 over the 1 ounce as I also got the Lee .31 round ball mold and I was going to make some buck and ball shotgun loads for S and G.

I am only new at loading for shotguns, but it is sure a lot of fun.

Cheers

Rich

Comment

• moofy07
        moofy07 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been looking at getting a Lee SG mold myself, for piggin'.

I have cast hundreds of lee 7/8oz slugs from the pellets out of 7.5 28g rio 1oz target loads and just seated the slug in the original shot cup with the standard powder charge. They shoot great out of my chiappa 1887.
      WTB: 38/40 barrel or donor rifle, snider/p53 lock and breech parts, 10-15 round blued 38 super 1911 mag, AIA/skk mag with star on the side. Pm me on forum.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by alkapitano" post=10127
        I have cast hundreds of lee 7/8oz slugs from the pellets out of 7.5 28g rio 1oz target loads and just seated the slug in the original shot cup with the standard powder charge. They shoot great out of my chiappa 1887.
        Have you killed much with em?

Now I gotta get a mold lol

Ive seen a few incidents where the slug was actually SOLID, and on a full choke Winchester 37 (30" barrel) it did damage the barrel.
      Id ensure you look at moulds that allow a 'skirt' to be formed (hollow section at the rear) to allow for swaging at the choke.

One thing Im keen on trying is .30 cal projectile in a 12ga sabot.... just for fun!

Comment

I've been making 1oz lee slugs for a while now,

They are OK, I don't load from scratch, Normally use the Federal 7.5 shot clay loads, (The wad fits the best), You need too make sure the slug touches the bottom of the wad, Or use a punch in some gasket paper too space them out a little, Or they are tight!

As for hunting, Your better off buying some 00 Buck, May not have the same hitting power, But least you have a chance of hitting it!, I figure a 308/3030/etc will hit just as hard, or harder then a 1oz slug, And they are accurate!.
        I've got a few pigs, Drops them well, (if you can hit them) But i take 00 Buck. Or my 223 over solids,

I use them (1oz slugs) for plinking, They are cheap fun in the iac blowing up milk bottles,!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          There's not a hope in hell I'd 1) stuff around with this hot wax slug malarkey, or 2) even consider putting one through any of my guns.

I've got a lee mold and even stuffing around with slug/load/wad combos they're a hit or miss affair past 20-30m

I use a .730 round ball I cast from a lyman mold. They fit perfectly down my sxs but are a bit loose in the iac I get pretty good groups with them at 25m but haven't tried any further out. I've also used sinkers that I measured to be the right size and they work well too!

Comment

I originally used PSB1 powder- but cant find details of this load, irrelevant anyway as I am pretty sure that particular flake powder is no longer available,

Both loads used the main components as listed on the load info sheet that came with the LEE 1oz mould.
          Winchester hulls,
          Winchester primers,
          Winchester WAA12 wads,
          LEE 1 oz slug, 20% wheel weights / 80% lead flashing

The later load was using AP70N, 33 grains.

IIRC that was a little over the max load listed by the ADI book [4th edition]
          It was worked up for my particular shottie, and chronied @ a little under 1600fps, and with it I could knock over 7 out of 10 bowling pins once I got the hang of it. [shooting from prone- over sandbags]

Thought I was doing pretty good until one of our F class top guns had a go with the same shottie and ammo @ 200 yards and did the same!
          At 200 yards I couldnt get within 12" of the pins.
          -----------------------------------------------------

Just dug out and dusted off ADI edition 4 - it has:
          : 30 grains AP70N as max for the 1oz slug + WAA12 wad @ 1450fps out of a 30" barrel.
          : 32.6 grains AP70N max. for a 7/8 oz slug + WAA12SL wad @ 1550fps out of a 30" barrel.

BUT!
          in March 2009, The ADI website listed the max. as being:
          : 28.1 grains AP70N for the 1 oz slug + WAA12 wad @ 1450fps out of a 30" barrel!

It might pay to check the ADI website- or sling ADI an email to check for the latest set of figures- then start well under max and work up your load.
          all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

Working...
          X