M3A1 - Grease Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3A1 - Grease Gun

Here's some pics of my M3A1 Grease gun. The M3A1 is the improved and simplified version of the M3. The M3 was a .45 ACP submachinegun designed as a replacement for the costly to produce Thompson. It was lighter and believe it or not, more accurate than the Thompson. It entered US service in December 1943, but didn't see front line service until late '44 and early '45. This is an Ithaca production gun, one of 33,000 built during the Korean war. The M3A1 stayed in service all the way up to the first Gulf War where they were still in use as an armored crew weapon.
    Due to the slow cyclic rate of around 450 rounds/min it has no provisions for semiautomatic fire, as one can easily cap of singles. It is most accurate when firing 1-3 round bursts. Once you master the spongy trigger it's surprisingly accurate and a joy to shoot. Hitting targets at typical SMG distances is on par with any other SMG I've ever fired including all the modern ones. At some point I've been meaning to come up with a suitable way to mount a red dot - that should be interesting. I've always wanted one of these as a kid after seeing Attack Force Z. Of course real Z and M special units used suppressed and unsuppressed Austens and Owen guns.
    I took these pics a few years ago, when I was still learning how to use the camera gear, so they're not the greatest, enjoy!

That's brilliant - it answers a few questions I had about the 'ol M3...

Big thanks!
    Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

• Tornado-Technologies
      Tornado-Technologies commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Dreadnought1" post=15972
      That's brilliant - it answers a few questions I had about the 'ol M3...

Big thanks!
      Well if you've got any others or want specific pics, just ask.

Thanks for posting.

Oddball

Comment

Great pics mate!
      You realise the Philipino military has recently gone for an upgrade of their fleet of M3's with a picatinny rail for a red dot sight.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Forward!
      Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

• Tornado-Technologies
        Tornado-Technologies commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 22F" post=17549
        Great pics mate!
        You realise the Philipino military has recently gone for an upgrade of their fleet of M3's with a picatinny rail for a red dot sight.
        Mate of mine who has relo's in that part of the world sent me vid (in Filipino) a few years ago that was a news segment on it. They're also brought a bunch of old Bofors 40mm's and M40 recoilless rifles out of mothballs too due to budget cuts.
        I was surprised they used M3's as opposed to M3A1's as they have a reputation of not being as reliable due to the complex cocking mechanism.
        I'd like to mount a pic rail on mine, but can't bring myself to modify an original gun. I'm got an integral suppressed barrel as well, and was planning to do a red dot mount on that - scout style. It's on my (long) list of things to do "when I get around to it".

I love these guns!

Comment

Working...
      X