Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on a Marlin 22LR for the kids please

My first post here.
    My kids are showing interest in shooting and are quite a good shots off a rest (and under supervision) with my Brno.
    I am looking for opinions on a 22 to set up for the kids to keep them keen and I am thinking the Marlin XT might be a good starter. The but stock on mine is far too long for their eye relief and they tuck it under their armpit to be able to see through to scope. I'm not against cutting a bit off the new one to make it suit.

Your thoughts?
    "Well he should've armed himself" - Unforgiven.

Not really familiar with the marlins but I think savage do a mkii in a small stock for juniors. Save you modifiying the stock.

Edit: yeh here it is http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/product.seam?productId=8584

I don't work for or have any affiliation with any gun shop and don't care where you get it form the link is for info only.

Comment

Mate I have two Marlin XT's - a VR and R models. Can't fault either one. The 'R' which is the stock version with box mag my wife uses and will punch five cent groups all day long @ 50m. And I love my varmint version now.. Previous owner had put gun grease in the barrel which was giving me inconsistent groups. Took it all apart and after about 12 patches and half a bottle of Hoppes she's clean as. Re-tightened everything and shoots better than the 'R'. I'd recommend them anyday. Yes, they have a cheapish feeling stock (the varmint models are slightly better though), but for the price, they do the job.

Comment

• Harvey
        Harvey commented
        Editing a comment
        i've got 2 marlins, 1 varmint and one sporter, and a savage mark 2. savages are a tad more expensive but a better rifle for kids. shorter length of pull compared to the marlin and also offer a youth version. magazines are also cheaper. and my savage is more accurate than both the marlins. in short, get a savage.

My first rifle was a Marlin 980S, couldn't fault it, it was very accurate and i got lots of rabbits with it spotlighting.

That was when they were more expensive due to the US AUS dollar being high..

Second hand marlins now are very cheap but still great quality. I had a blast with mine.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/BoltAction22/980s.asp

Comment

Hi...

After wasting a lot of money on things that my kids have shown interest in over the years, as well as my friends seeing bucks get wasted, I always approach things with caution.

I would suggest that you buy an old single shot Sportco/Slazenger rifle. These can be picked up for less than $50 is you shop around. Having iron sights the kids will learn to shoot correctly, learn to judge range and more. Being so cheap you can cut the stock back and do all wonder of things. In the field they will learn that when only one shot is available to make it count.

As their skills grow you can then decide what to buy them.

Paul

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by paul" post=7949
          Hi...
          I would suggest that you buy an old single shot Sportco/Slazenger rifle. These can be picked up for less than $50 is you shop around. Having iron sights the kids will learn to shoot correctly, learn to judge range and more. Being so cheap you can cut the stock back and do all wonder of things. In the field they will learn that when only one shot is available to make it count.
          Agreed wholeheartedly. Other than the basic premise of there being nothing more Australian than a young shooter learning the craft on a quality Australian made rifle, they're also extremely simple to operate with a small part count, very rugged and pretty much impossible to damage/break.

Personally I feel a single shot is a safer way of managing a young/inexperienced shooter too. Also slows them down so they don't plink through an entire pack of ammo in 5 mins

My 20yr old son just bought as a ute gun..looks good cycles good seems to shoot an orange at 100yds open sights so yep it gets my thumbs up..my opinion at the cost of $295 I thought it was great..perfect for the kids.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Marlins, they're a good entry level rimfire, but I'd be looking at the Savage MKiiGY.

They can be had for $345, with a 10 round magazine, and they're specifically designed as a youth rifle, with shorter length of pull.
          Would definitely be my first choice for younger kids, they can work their way up to a nicer rifle when they get older/bigger and really appreciate it.
          We use 43 muscles to frown,
          17 to smile,
          and 2 to pull a trigger.
          I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.

Comment

Just bought one of the Savage youth models for my 12 yr old grandson and he loves it , right size , shoots spot on and not heavy for him.
            Ron

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I went to the gun shop today and looked at both the Marlin and Savage. The Savage felt better in the hands than the Marlin but had a sloppy magazine. I think either is a good rifle for a starter, but while there I spied a second hand Sako Quad and now I'm thinking about treating myself to that and handing down the Brno. I've even convinced the minister for clips in the ear that it would be a good idea
              "Well he should've armed himself" - Unforgiven.

Comment

That sounds like a win win don't get better than that!

Comment

Working...
                X