People selling rifles they haven't used, or hardly used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People selling rifles they haven't used, or hardly used

Good day, everyone. I hope you are all very well.

I was thinking, and you know that's a dangerous past time for me, to be sure, haha,
    but as a regular visitor to usedguns.com, I can't help but notice the plethora of rifles for sale that have had only a few rounds through them, or in a lot of cases no rounds through them. Does anyone have an opinion on why this is so? Are these rifles dodgy somehow, do they not have the right stock stain, do they smell bad?
    Why would you buy, and in some cases spend a lot of money, a rifle and then 5 seconds later sell it?
    I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so can someone please sharpen me up?
    cheers and have an incredibly wonderful day!!!

I've always been a dubious of this myself. The best excuse I can think of is ittook such a long time to actually get the firearm after they ordered it, they found something else that was better

Comment

They cant make it shoot straight. The mrs found out about it and its got to go. The coppers have confiscated it. Run out of money. Cant fit it in the safe. His mates have convinced him he's made a mistake and to get a Brand x, not a Brand y, or a 338 Super Confucious Magnum instead of a 270 Diddlywap or a 300 Crapout.

Or something like that.

Comment

• Ur askusting
        Ur askusting commented
        Editing a comment
        I know a few blokes who got all excited at the thought of owning a gun, went through all the bs to get one. Took it hunting a couple times and life got in the way of their hunting time, found they never used it, so got rid of it.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        ha-ha! love this comment!

I think a lot of the time its people buying something they think they need and then realising its not quite what they expected be it recoil related, expected accuracy and not achieving it or build quality or even just a lack of time to use them or a change of mind as to what they want to do etc.

So many reasons as to why people buy and sell things shortly after buying them.

I'm wary of buying 2nd hand firearms as it really can be a lottery when it comes to getting what was described - I often read about people who have bought a 2nd hand rifle of some of those gun sites only to find the description doesn't even come close to the reality.

You only have to look on forums like this and you soon realise how little people really know about firearms to realise that a large % of have no idea at all and buy all sorts of firearms and equipment that isn't really suitable for their needs.
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

1. Some people have plenty of $$$ and buy them for the hell of it (like chicks with shoes). If its your passion and you love guns and can afford to have five sitting in the safe being used once a year then go for it. They hold their value relatively if well cared for.
        2. Some people haven't done much shooting and get all excited, buy gear and then sell when its not as expected. I think this happens more with handguns than longarms.

I've got a few guns and I don't tend to sell them unless I know 100% I do not need them and will never use them. So I sold my R700 XLR when I bought my DTA because I didn't need another precision 308. I also bought a Marlin 45-70 (nostalgia calibre I always wanted and happens to be a heavy hitter for game in Vic) and more recently a Rem 7600 pump. The 7600 was more a fun project to make something different that could still have used for hunting if I head interstate and need more firepower. Mates go hunting in northern queensland and they tell me that the firepower of a 10 round pump is very handy.

Comment

For Sale:

(LIST DISCRIPTION) TRANSLATION
          1969 Dodge Pheonix (limited #0069) the true bit
          Only done 50,000 that's the 3rd engine, ripped out of an old Statesman
          Always garaged usually parked under a tree
          Original, spotless leather interior it's original leather but not original to the vehicle
          Collectors delight best given a cut and polish and parked behind all your other yank tanks as a conversation piece
          $12000 only paid $3k for it in 1988 but you know... classic value... and there's a sucker born every minute
          A lot of people will say anything when trying to sell an item. Not me, of course, because i am a saint.

I was always told that buying second hand is buying someone else's problem: expect to find a few things that need fixing or refining to your standards. I have also been reading in many places that there's no such thing as a good 2nd hand gun, as no-one sells a good rifle. My wife maintains that people do sell good stuff for various reasons, as listed above; i guess you all may have a point. Some people have more money than sense and buy and sell stuff as they have the attention span of a gannet. Others, as mentioned above, need a new pair of trousers for Xmas and have to sell it so their WAG can satify the hair, makeup and shoe requirement.

My attitude is only pay what you think is fair and expect to spend the savings (from buying new) to get the item up to scratch.

Cheers.
          List to tick off:
          - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
          - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
          - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
          - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
          - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
          - Comp dies for 7mm-08
          - Case annealer
          - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

I think recoil and cost of ammo are two major reasons.

When I bought my .257 Weatherby Magnum it was in as new condition. I'm led to believe by the LGS where I bought the rifle, that the previous owner didn't handload, and the ammo (around $120+ for 20) was just too expensive.

When I bought my my .458WM it had fired 6 shots! The dude bought it and a box of 510 gn softpoints and returned it a couple days later and sold It back to them with the remaining box of ammo! Lol! Who would've thought that an elephant gun would kick much....?

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Comment

• Gwion
              Gwion commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by BadboyMelvin" post=7140

When I bought my my .458WM it had fired 6 shots! The dude bought it and a box of 510 gn softpoints and returned it a couple days later and sold It back to them with the remaining box of ammo! Lol! Who would've thought that an elephant gun would kick much....?
              Oh, my, goodness.... that's some expensive rabbit mince!!!

People like me...

I buy ,
            I dont use
            I leave it to collect dust
            I sell to purchase another useless rifle or fishing gear
            And repeat

JH

Comment

• Zook60
              Zook60 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by John23" post=7144
              People like me...

I buy ,
              I dont use
              I leave it to collect dust
              I sell to purchase another useless rifle or fishing gear
              And repeat

JH
              Sums me up apart from the fishing gear
              At least I can say I have owned many diff brands and have a good understanding of why I prefer Tikka's. :P
              Also property access can change or financial pressure. I don't take money from our budget so I normally need to sell something to
              purchase the next toy. Its hard to justify another rifle 1k rifle or scope when you have 3 kids too provide for.

I sold an 'as-new', unfired rifle a year or two back, was going to do a build but I already had one and didn't need two.

I get ideas in my head, get all excited and buy the good stuff then when the dust has settled I often realise I could have spent my money better or at least smarter. Someone mentioned women and shoes, that's a pretty accurate analogy in my case. Thankfully I buy decent gear and most stuff i've been able to use on other projects ('cept for a god damned Eotech that doesn't suit any of my rifles but is too cool to get rid of) so I haven't lost too much money but still would have saved time and money if I had thought about what I really want before jumping in.

Comment

In my case, I collect firearms (Milsurps) mainly for the historical significance. Although I do enjoy shooting, I've only visited the range 5-6 times in over a year of owning firearms. Unfortunately the best range is just too far away to make the trip most of the time, thus many of my rifles have never even been fired by myself, and in other cases with rifles I've sold in the past, they never were. Nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Comment

Impulse buying is another reason.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by NuZo" post=7161
                  Impulse buying is another reason.
                  This is me. I can't help it.

I think some people upgrade or buy better rifles expecting to improve their aim, when they don't get the results the want instantly they sell them off.

Comment

I must admit my sentiments as well when I see an advert "little work, or only a few hundred rounds" However they may well be genuine. I have 2 senario's where I have sold new unfired firearms simply because I bought them when they were too good to pass up. I already had the calibres in use and both very good, I really didn't need the new ones they sat in the safe for years risking scratching,even rust, so I sold them around cost as new unfired.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i fall into the category of hardly used ... I bought a 300 WSM in Tikka light s/s - my intention was to use it for deer hunting , ended up getting a few hundred once fired 308 shells , so then bought a 308 ( sauer ) as its simply cheaper to run- so now mainly use either the 308 - or my 22-250 ( for foxs ) and the 300wsm sits all alone in the safe hardly used .. may even sell it .... and im sure my add will be " only shot a few boxes through it " as i have not even had time to load develop this rifle as yet

Guilty also. Though my occupation is buying and selling (think *shudders* "American Pickers" ) so it's pretty every day for me. However I only ever buy if it's a bargain.

I'm more guilty of doing it with scopes. In one run I bought a scope, then 3 more before the first one arrived. They were all for a fantastic price though and money was made on all of them so it's not really a big deal.

Comment

I think impulse buying (we have all done this at least once) is one and another reason is financial pressure.

I nearly bought a lever 30-30 on Friday and already have 2 in the safe. Lucky my brother said do you really need it...... Lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X