Shooting Low first shot of the day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Low first shot of the day.

My first shot of the day (MFSOTD) is often low and as the shot count gets up, they climb up the target.

What would be causing this?

Could I be cleaning the wax off the rounds by keeping them in my pocket and putting them back in the safe, and then back in the poctet?

is this a hadngun thing , if so i can move it to the correct section. its currently in the welcome mat

Comment

I was wondering if rifle

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        the wax on the round thing has me wondering

I'm guessing air rifle. Do they call them rounds in air rifle?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Sumo" post=6295
        I'm guessing air rifle. Do they call them rounds in air rifle?

Pellets aren't they?

Not that I'd know lol

If your talking about a centre fire rifle it could as the barrel heats up you point of impact is changing. I try to sight my 308 in cold bore as it the barrel tends to walk up and to the right as it heats up. also i notice that my rifle shoots low for one or two rounds after cleaning.

how big is the change in POI your talking about
      is the rifle centrefire, rimfire, handgun or air rifle?
      how are you using the rifle
      do you clean the rifle every time you shoot.

I know most of this is only speculation but more info and perhaps a better answer may arise

Comment

Sorry I left the important bit out, its a cz 452, .22 rimfire. Drop is a few inches at 35/40 metres slightly downhill. They are CCI Quiets, 40? solids.

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          no worries, moved and cleaned up.

are you cleaning the barrel after every use? if this is the case you are stripping out the copper from the jacket or wax or lead, which gets picked up on your first few rounds and will increase velocity as it gets replaced . this means higher rounds on paper.

is it the 452 with barrel lug?

this is just a lesson i took from the tactical shooting guys, and i warn you its is a topical one that alot of people would disagree with but i used it and it gives me consistency.
        Don't clean your barrel until performance degrades, so set yourself a limit for what acceptable accuracy, say 1/2 MOA and don't clean your rifle until it degrades to that accuracy. I found this reduces accuracy very slightly overall ( for instance you wouldn't do this if you where shooting bench rest) but increases consistency in between shoots and allows you learn more about they way your rifle behaves. It also increases the amount of walking across the target i tend to get about a 2 inch change in POI (point of impact) between cleaning and about the 20th round where my rifle evens out again. From here on in it seems to keep the same POI till accuracy degardes then i clean it and run 20 rounds through it to get back to my old POI.

If you just wanna shoot perfect groups maybe cleaning all of the time would help but i think this method may work better. I think a clean barrel is more accurate but a used barrel is more consistent. Again this is just my 2c and many people would disagree, but it works for me and helps me get a a consistent point of impact from one day to another at the end of the day i really think im only sacrifices maybe 0.1 or 0.2 MOA of accuracy for shooting groups and my rifle tends to shoot more evenly all of the time. If you ask me first round hits are more valuable than ultra tight groups.

Comment

• sirus17
          sirus17 commented
          Editing a comment
          i'll second bigchaza there, its one of the only times you can be dirty while pulling something

There are various folk that believe you need to let it wax/foul up. Others (like me) are cleaners. Some say as well, only clean with a dry patch.

I have found lots of inconsistent (low) shots if I don't clean the barrel fully of oil before shooting (I mean mirror). Particularly if you use a mop only. You need to patch it out completely.

Oil cuts (melts) wax and may stop it coating the barrel consistently. Which is perhaps why some very experienced shooters have said only clean with a dry patch or not at all.

These guys probably have lots more trigger time than me but I just can't stop myself from putting my rifle in the safe clean.

I also find my S/S match barrel gets to POI much quicker (1 or 2 shots) than my standard barrel. And (for reasons for which I have no clue) it doesn't get as dirty as quickly (in fact, the patches come out quite clean even after a couple of hundred rounds)..

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Oil in the barrel. If you must put the gun away with oil in it, put a dry rag through after the oily one. I find that just a tiny hint of oil remains for its protective value, and the first bullet will still be affected, but by less than an inch and that is still ok with me.

Hi

I always put a few fouling shots down the barrel prior to actually shooting. I have found this stops the initial flyers caused by warming up barrels. Its become a habit with me, 5 rounds in the first series in the mound, then onto sighters.

Those who weigh bullets will use the lighter/heavier rounds as barrel warmers.

Paul

Comment

A theory I read somewhere on this was that because the wax in the barrel is cold on the first shot so it has a lower POI .
          Then as the wax heats up the rifles POI becomes stable less friction higher POI .Sounded pretty right to me.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I know that the first shot of the day from my Annie will always be a flyer, so I usually just dump that somewhere
            off the target into the backstop. After that she shoots like the laser she is!
        Working...
        X