Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zavasta cz99

Hi guys,
    After being notified my license was approved I set to ordering in my first gun. I was tempted to go the bigger calibers however decided I should get a 22 until I get at least a few days at the range done and get a feel for the sport. I went into Queensland gun exchange (qge) the guys there were friendly enough I had a play with a few 22s loved the cz 455 however it was a little out of my price range at the moment. So ended up ordering in a zavasta cz99 bunny buster pack that comes with the Burris 3-9 x40 scope, some kind of (most likely no name) bipod a torch with brackets to mount off scope and a remote pressure switch and a gun bag all for $585.00 if it was not for the value of this pack I would have gone the savage mkiig. But I have had a bit of a look around online and it seems the zavasta's are not to bad.

So who else has one of these? Is there anything in particular I need to look out for? As I hear they have had some quality control issues.

If anyone would like to share their experience with this rifle weather it be positive or negative I would appreciate it.

My PTA is due in about a week and I will be sure to post some photos up when I get it home. I fortunately have my best mates wedding the weekend after the PTA is due in which is on a farm down in New England with plenty of bunnies n foxes. Last time I was on this property we had a fox come straight at us in broad daylight and linger around about 30 meters away from us for a minute or two. Shame we had no guns with us

I bought one in .17HMR, fantastic rifle for the money. The bluing is deep & rich which surprised me a lot.
    The only thing I did was remove the front & rear iron sights and lighten the trigger to 2lb.
    Sighted & zeroed the rifle to 75m.

You won't regret buying one.

Comment

• sirus17
      sirus17 commented
      Editing a comment
      As 8ball said they are grate and you won't be disappointed, extraction can sometimes be an issue bit it can be resolved, make sure you give her a good clean out of the box as there is a lot of packing grease in there, especially the bolt (also under the extractor claws), buy a few boxes of ammo and have fun, mine loves Winchester t22, the scope isn't to bad, it's a Burris rimfire, hands down better then the savages, my brother owns one and it shoots like a pig, any issues let is know but they are pretty bullet proof

I have the 22 magnum. It is accurate, especially with the Winchester Power points and the Federal 50gr stuff. The trigger is pretty good, the scope that comes with it is clear.
    The only downside was the magazine release, its a pain in the arse to change mags - for me - as the catch is a button, not the normal lever.

If I was after another rimfire, i'd buy another one without even looking at anything else, for the price they are pretty well head and shoulders above anything else in that price bracket.

Comment

Thanks guys,
      Can't wait to get my hands on it, I did notice the one I played with in the shop (17hmr I think) was covered in the factory goo. Am interested in removing the front iron site as it is kind of big on this rifle. Is it easy enough to do? Cheers

Comment

kmus, good day, hope all is well. I've had a cz99 22lr for about 3 years now. It's my go to farm rifle. I have a 6x scope on it and it does really well with just about any ammo I feed it, really likes winchester subbies and winchester power points and winchester bushman. It's solidly built, quite well finished, well blued, and very nice to shoulder. Very, very good value for the money. There are more expensive rimmies out there that don't feel as good as this one. About the only gripe I have with it is that the chequering on the fore end and the hand grip is a bit feral. I think that could have been done much better, actually I think it would have looked better if it were left smooth.
        I've fired countless rounds through this rifle, I think it jammed on me twice, and I think both times it was my fault because I wasn't being definite enough with the action.
        For the money, what a great little rifle, and did I mention that good quality of the timber? Would definitely get another one, am actually thinking about getting one in 22 magnum just so I can say that I have one. HAHA
        I guarantee you're going to love this rifle. Don't worry about first impressions, as you keep using it, it will grow on you, it will become smoother and it you will see it's character.
        I'm not paid by Zastava, I just really enjoy the rifle. I'm even toying with the idea of ordering a mpw in fullwood. Would take about a year and a million dollars!!!!
        enjoy your rifle

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I too have a cz99 with the same scope ! I bough it as my first rifle when I came to Oz in 2006 and LOVED IT. I have added to my collection since (as nearly every shooter will tell you.... 1 just is not enough !!)
          I had no issues removing the sights, just keep hold of em in case you need to resell to fund an upgrade etc.

I Bought a second hand CZ452 .22 a year or so ago and gave my son the c99 as a birthday gift, he often out shoots me when we r out on the bunnies... not sure if its the rifle or ???? hahah
          Both rifles love the cci's at the range and winchester power points when on the prowl

You won't look back mate, awesome gun

Since you've already bought one I won't try to sell the idea but you will love it.

Andy

Comment

I did notice the checkering was less than ideal. I may look at doing something with it to tidy it up a bit. But out of the guns I felt in my price range it defiantly felt the best. I had my heart set on timber stock ( hate the feel and look of synthetic stocks ) will have a look when I get it home but maybe a very fine sharp triangle file will clean out the pressed checkering look then I will re-oil the whole stock. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it as I don't know what the checkering on mine is like yet.

Thanks for the replies I'm really looking forward to getting it and running a few hundred rounds through it. How many rounds is it safe to run through it an hour to ensure the barrel is not overheated or accuracy is not affected? I'm not sure if that is even an issue with rimfires but thought it best to check before I cause any damage.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Kmus,
            I wouldn't worry too much about limiting the amount of rounds you put through....u cant really damage the old 22 like that.

When my son forst shot it he went through close to 100 rounds in about 30 mins - he went all out.......had the blisters on his fingers from single round loading to prove it !

Not sure if you can overheat a bolt action .22lr...

My Zastava is what I use while my centrefires cool down and I don't take it easy on it, that's for sure.

Andy

Comment

Great thanks guys, I thought that May be the case just thought it was worth checking rather than finding out the hard way.

Comment

• sirus17
              sirus17 commented
              Editing a comment
              The checkering is abit average but meh , I think the stock is lacquered as well

G'day mate, I have 2 - 1 in 17Hmr & a 22. I bought the 22 2nd hand, but like new & it's a real gem. I bought the 17 earlier this year ($350 brand new- just for the rifle) & have had a few issues with it but am still happy with the purchase. Just be prepared to do a bit of 'fiddling' with it.
            On a side note, I was told the 22 was made in the Brno factory as the Zastava factory was out of action at the time. I can't say how true this is, I looked for something on the net to confirm this story but couldn't find anything. But, I can say that the stamping on the 2 barrels are totally different. That could explain why the 22 seems like a better made gun, if there is any truth to this story...

Comment

After much deliberation and reading the comments from owners, I too have decided that a Zastava CZ99 is worth a try. I had the chance to handle one today and a general close look at one (they have a nice weight to them and solidly built and come with a burris scope and two mags). The one I looked at had the lighter coloured stock, but would prefer it darker (see what I get when I purchase). Looking forward to testing one out.

Comment

Working...
              X