.22lr for Junior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, it's fulltime...

Yep, those little 'cowboy' guns are 'exy' and to my surprise sort after... Strewth! I even saw one that was nearly $5K!

What makes this a hard one besides getting over my own curiosity and everyone else's 'fancy' is, it's a Christmas surprise wrapped up in the 'go to thing' for the next half decade paper. Reading through the thread replies what my real conundrum is... The preference is 'Meri-can' motorcycles and women 'Euro'.

If it were 100% my own choice it'd be for 'shits 'n' giggles'...

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.2 KB ID:	323708

"Aaaaw ...! Can I have my rifle back Dad!
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Hi there,

I haven't been on here a lot but here is my 2c.

Have been through this a few times with the kids.

If your after a lever that wont break the bank have a look at the Rossi or a Chiappa LA322.
      My first Grandchild a Grandson is turning one soon & I might buy a Chiappa LA322 black chrome takedown, to put away for him.(any excuse for another & I don't have a lever action .22lr)

For the youngest daughter who's now 14, we got her a Ruger American target thumbhole & put a Bushnell rimfire scope on it. Its accurate & she likes it a lot.
      I need a smaller stock the the Howa .223 sporter for her now & to get myself another .223 as I think she has claimed it.

Next oldest son, when I took him out to learn he preferred the old Sportco 62S with open sights & it was easier to single load for him.

Christensen Ranger looks the good but have heard patchy reports on them.

The Bergara's get a good rap.

I have a Howa M1100 here as well & am really liking it so far.

Savage A22r lever release is a bit of fun too if your after something different & they have been cheap lately.(got one here as I was curious)

Comment

• HERNE
        HERNE commented
        Editing a comment
        Drew, seems to be onto where my real curiosity is headin’...

As a "tween" I learned to shoot with one of the BLR rifles. It was a shit load of fun and I recommend it for Gryf. Put a peep sight on it instead of a red dot and its good enough to head shoot bunnies and to keep a flipping target moving or a baked beans tin skipping along the paddock.

My kids loved (still do now they're grown) the tacticool/mall ninja look and we certainly disappeared down that rabbit hole for a while. But lever actions in all calibres make time smile and are still a blast.
      I have more guns than I need but not as many as I want

Comment

Seeing as he likes the tacticool thing how about the original tactical trainer, attach a bayonet on the end and let the young fella lose on those mutant wallaroos down your way

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210202_190751.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	323731
        Attached Files
        Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4AFDDB69-E3C0-436D-AF30-3F8E78CDC48D.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	323733

“Who do you think you’re kidding...”
          "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post

“Who do you think you’re kidding...”
            that would be a Enfield rifle No4 Mk1
            I am suggesting a Lithgow Lee Enfield No2 Mk4
            more tactical than most folks realise, the long barrel makes the 22Lr round very quite 😎 and the rifle is fitted with a brass catcher 🤫

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Levers sure are fun and I agree that a peep sight is as good as anything, especially with young eyes.

What way are you heading with the decisions Herne?
              Can travel to gun shops on Monday but I think I will wait a day or 2 in case of crowds and queues.

Freedom day for me is when I can shoot and hunt, not mix with crowds in Sydney or Bondi.
              Not been down to the C smoke for a couple of years now and wouldn't even know if my transport card still works LOL

Comment

Originally posted by fishphillott View Post

that would be a Enfield rifle No4 Mk1
                I am suggesting a Lithgow Lee Enfield No2 Mk4
                more tactical than most folks realise, the long barrel makes the 22Lr round very quite 😎 and the rifle is fitted with a brass catcher 🤫
                How much do you want for the ‘wood duck’ whatever breed it is...? $250 and I’ll get the transfer and postage?

Comment

That wood duck as you call it, is worth more than that Tupperware container I got off you and the ammo is cheaper and easier to get.
                  I will swap you the dugong sticker for two grey nurses and a pineapple

Comment

You got that piece of ‘Tupperware’ as you call it for at least half price.

Wood Ducks are seen around the same price you got the very rare piece of ‘Tupperware’ for. The thing is, Wood Ducks are very popular for some reason and don’t stay on the shelf long... About as long as it takes my cursor to flick past it to the present.

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
                      You got that piece of ‘Tupperware’ as you call it for at least half price.

Wood Ducks are seen around the same price you got the very rare piece of ‘Tupperware’ for. The thing is, Wood Ducks are very popular for some reason and don’t stay on the shelf long... About as long as it takes my cursor to flick past it to the present.
                      all wood ducks and tupperware aside why not just take two stroke for a casual mooch around the local gun shop , secretly absorb what floats his boat and just as secretly do the deal later for xmas,at least it will be 100% what he likes and not a good percentage of what you might also like ....if you know what im getting at..cheers..pd.

Comment

Bugger ya ‘pd’! Now there’ll be one of those ugly little Ruger Precision Rifles dressed in a ‘Captain ‘Meri-cee’ suit in the safe...

Dad’s Army like those feet, was never on the table. But the thread gave ‘fish’ an excuse to whip out one of his fairly extensive ‘tomato stake’ collection... And ‘model’ his feet for us.

But you are right and 12 is 12, just not forever. Thought the type of action might be a hidden appeal in the paddock... My own real curiosity being the Bergara would be probably met with indifference.

Next weekend we we can finally get up to Terrey Hills to see Paul for a bit of a ‘reccy’.

Comment

• pd
                          pd commented
                          Editing a comment
                          there you go , he might just surprise you. looks like fish polished things up a bit first , the bang sticks not his feet of course....pd

well herne ,did you and lad get up to terrey hills for a reccy...pd.

Comment

Not as yet 'pd'... Busy times.

We've just got back from the farm where I've been a bit busy over the last couple of weekends. Still, late arvo when things cooled down a little, we got the picnic table, Tac Elite and trusty ol' 'men at work' sign out... Letting 15 rounds of .223 fly.

He does well with it off the bench and the Maxbox. It's a heavy rifle and probably not the best to walk around the paddock with. Be great for off a tripod on his observation stand though... When I get the grass down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg Views:	3 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	323932

As for the intended Xmas present, maybe not now. The wife was saying earlier in the week, she has not been all over the Christmas shopping this year due to all the lock down and locked out carry on and was at a loss as to what to do. Usually she's all over it by now. So, on Saturday arvo I bought each family member an Angus heifer each. That includes Wife, kids, step kids, aunties, uncles, nieces and Mother inlaw... The gift that gives back to ol' 'Santa-Balls' for a change.

I will still get up to Terrey Hills shortly though.

Comment

Hey Herne, don't know if you can say much as young Hernster would be checking the forum for any surprise spoilers.

You made mention of the CZ 515 and they say the new shipment has had improvements to do with the trigger and the occasional lever jam with some ammo types. When it occurs, you just push the lever up and it resets and is ready to push down to send the bolt shut.

The tactical models are selling like hotcakes and I have heard a few owners say that theirs shoots very well.
                            I know nothing about the 22lr, just the 22mag as that's what I have and researched.

I said nothing as I had issues with jamming lever and shooting vertical fliers.

It's a great action and I decided to see what they would do as it was 12 months old but Covid made it hard to return it.

Very impressed with Winchester and Magnum Sports as they fixed it and in about 2 weeks like the shop bloke estimated.
                            Was going to test it tomorrow but rain may prevent it, will decide later.
                            I am pretty confident as he said the trigger group was replaced and other stuff was done.
                            2 test groups were fired at 50 and no flyers, both pretty good groups at about 3/4".
                            One had 2 hole in holes and a shot nearby.

If it's ammo preference is the same, I may be shooting some of those nice single-hole CZ type groups and it should now be more then capable of 100yd fox shots and the like.
                            Couldn't even shoot a group at 100 before and wouldn't shoot at a fox in case the flyers are the first cold shots.

If it shoots consistently, it will be love and never part with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X