.22lr for Junior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22lr for Junior...

A little while back my young fella Gryffyn got his Juniors Permit and with Xmas coming up, am thinking of getting a easy to use .22lr for him to use as his own to get his handling skills up for field use until he comes of age...

Any suggestions fella's?

I was thinking a straight-pull or lever?
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Once you get over the bad trigger it's the 22 to have.
    BL-22

Click image for larger version

Name:	BL22_2021.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	323671

Comment

Thanks 'MrC'... The sort of thing I was looking at.

But that sort of coin buys takes the options to a heap more... A different look and action too.

Name:	2MR02268-2021-03-01_11-21-45-AM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	323674

Name:	IMG_4327-2020-12-15_04-41-44-PM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	323675

Name:	392045.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	323676

Name:	389068.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	323677

I never thought the small choice would be the hardest. I was thinking the lever action because it might be easier and more fun... Just didn't think a 'clunker' would be so dear.
      "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

For the price I would go the Ruger precision mate, plenty of adjustment in the stock to suit a youngster and fairly light. One thing to watch out for is that they come standard with a 30moa rail so a basic 25mm scope may not have enough internal adjustment to get a closer zero..

Comment

He saw a Ruger Precision up at Paul Brittens shop in Terrey Hills one time we were up there having a chat at the end of last year. It was the one with the 'Meri-cee' flag on it... It took his eye.

I went back up a couple of days later to put some money down and it was gone...

It will probably wear one of these... For a while anyway.

Name:	BN02212LP.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	323680

Comment

For a kid it needs to be FUN above all.
            Even a Henry pump action would be a buzz.

Comment

There is a Henry on ‘used’ for $500 which I thought pretty cheap.

There yesterday... Gone today.

Comment

• MrCarbine
                MrCarbine commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking about that myself, always too slow (to draw the cash) don't overlook the Rossi pumps. They are a blast.

ruger american compact they have interchangeable stock inserts are light ,well priced ,shoot well and will last forever i love the ones i own and the grandkids can not get enough of them....cheers..pd.

Comment

I would NEVER give a kid or any one new to firearms a rifle with a tube magazine.
                Lost count of the times I have seen one left behind or a round stuck in those bloody death traps.
                Notwithstanding any ones ability or skill or any thing like it they are simply traps full stop.
                Accidents will happen and there`s no picking who to it simply does.... Why take that chance ?.

So some thing plain and simple like a single shot if you can still buy one new ....Is what I would advise.
                Single shot where the thing needs to be manually cocked is good safety practice as well.

Following from that a magazine fed bolt action ....

Lots of good pointers in this link below too.
                Economy - Single shot teaches accuracy and patience - no second chance shot for careless or waste full shooting.
                May be increase stalking skills to get a better shot---- a side benefit .
                Bugger all to break or go wrong .
                Not always as easy to feed with a scope but with young eyes and nimble fingers.

I still have an original Lithgow like I had when I learned shooting as a kid and like many old rifles it wont wear out.
                With a decent trigger < not lithgows strong point >but then the kid can learn to shoot with a hard trigger as well so more benefits ==== cant have things too easy first up .
                https://www.offthegridnews.com/self-...rs-of-service/
                Last edited by NoFerals; 03-10-2021, 05:28 PM.
                [center]
                Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• MrCarbine
                  MrCarbine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A bit harsh
                  Safety is your responsibility. Seen many kids (and adults - me) learn to shoot with a tube magazine. Just got to check, check and check again. Nothing happens on it's own.

Of course If it is some thing simple and often over looked then a Martini is the way to go.
                Easy to feed Easy to shoot Can be customized to a short light version . And have superb triggers.
                Can be carried open and easily seen if there`s one in the chamber or not.
                From a standing start I doubt there would be many rifles that could be loaded from M / T chamber quicker.

For techies the ideal optimal performance barrel length for a 22 lr is 17 inches so a short handy rifle they are.
                One of the best Target rifles in 22 LR I ever witnessed was a Martini built like that === All the snobs at the club over looked that rilfe and yoet it out shot some costing Thousands $$$.
                [center]
                Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

If you’re expanding your options mate, the CZ Scout is a damn nice option. I’ll be getting one for my girls soon.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Forward!
                  Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

• 17Hornet
                    17Hornet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got one here, great little carbine gun. accurate as hell. Good choice.
                    Suggest you look for a cheap normal length stock for it too, the kids grow fast.

I bought the little sister a savage FVSR 16in barrel. A few yrs ago. It's a great rifle.
                  I know not a pumpy or a level but still a great bolt action.
                  Go hard or Go home.

Comment

I'm going to 'squeeze' this choice a bit here fellas...

Gryffyn is no stranger to firearms or the responsibility that comes with them. In fact if you were to take your minds back a little, he did his safety course with Vince (Fireball17) where he was made to take the full adult requirement of the test and flew through the process with flying colours. Further previous experience has been with my Steyr Scout RFR .22lr (which was a straight-pull) and the more recent months practical my Steyr Tac Elite in .223...

He has been blooded on rabbits using a suppressed Brno .22lr around the rural properties where his Grandmother lives in 'K1W1land' at a much earlier age and has been with me when dispatching 'ferals' before. Already, prepped deer meat for cooking with that 'end game' being his ultimate goal. Like his Father, shares an empathy toward his quarry which he reasons out through applicable knowledge. Something his three predecessors didn't quite get... With reactions of indifference, tears and sometimes a distrust or disgust.

He is a switched on but sensitive sort of kid and the only one who sees the firearm as a 'tool of the trade' out of 3 other male siblings who now literally have moved on from the excitement of past firearm experience being just a highly engaging 'grown-ups toy'... He loves everything Mil and outdoors.

But being only twelve, I really need him to hang onto and enjoy the 'FUN' aspect of 'kicking a can around a paddock'. That's why I thought of the lever action... A single shot is good as a trainer but we have the opportunity and are a little beyond that now.

He likes the look of the bolt action 'Taccie' things like the Ruger P and the Howa, coz that's the world his 'Boy Soldier' mind lives in... But I reckon practical handling skills would be better with either a 'lever' or 'pump' action.

Not having too much experience with both actions was/am hoping to iron out the winkles.

Cheers,

HERNE.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-4 copy 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	323703

I can pick this up pretty cheap new as well... I'm sure (hoping) it's not as baby 'cack' yellow as it looks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-171202-2020-03-25_08-32-54-AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.9 KB ID:	323704

Comment

I would still lean towards a bolt action with a scope for the 22 and get a more fun action later.

Even having some experience, the 22 is the gun to put thousands of cheap rounds through and develop long-term shooting and handling skills.
                      A plastic bolt gun with a scope is as close to a hunting rifle as it gets, and he gets all the muscle memory and handling habits.
                      Also easier to learn to use the cleaning rod for looking after his guns.
                      Wood will just end up scratched in the field so plastic is the go.

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
                        I'm going to 'squeeze' this choice a bit here fellas...

Gryffyn is no stranger to firearms or the responsibility that comes with them. In fact if you were to take your minds back a little, he did his safety course with Vince (Fireball17) where he was made to take the full adult requirement of the test and flew through the process with flying colours. Further previous experience has been with my Steyr Scout RFR .22lr (which was a straight-pull) and the more recent months practical my Steyr Tac Elite in .223...

He has been blooded on rabbits using a suppressed Brno .22lr around the rural properties where his Grandmother lives in 'K1W1land' at a much earlier age and has been with me when dispatching 'ferals' before. Already, prepped deer meat for cooking with that 'end game' being his ultimate goal. Like his Father, shares an empathy toward his quarry which he reasons out through applicable knowledge. Something his three predecessors didn't quite get... With reactions of indifference, tears and sometimes a distrust or disgust.

He is a switched on but sensitive sort of kid and the only one who sees the firearm as a 'tool of the trade' out of 3 other male siblings who now literally have moved on from the excitement of past firearm experience being just a highly engaging 'grown-ups toy'... He loves everything Mil and outdoors.

But being only twelve, I really need him to hang onto and enjoy the 'FUN' aspect of 'kicking a can around a paddock'. That's why I thought of the lever action... A single shot is good as a trainer but we have the opportunity and are a little beyond that now.

He likes the look of the bolt action 'Taccie' things like the Ruger P and the Howa, coz that's the world his 'Boy Soldier' mind lives in... But I reckon practical handling skills would be better with either a 'lever' or 'pump' action.

Not having too much experience with both actions was/am hoping to iron out the winkles.

Cheers,

HERNE.

Click image for larger version Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-4 copy 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	323703

I can pick this up pretty cheap new as well... I'm sure (hoping) it's not as baby 'cack' yellow as it looks.

Click image for larger version Name:	1-171202-2020-03-25_08-32-54-AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.9 KB ID:	323704
                        RIGHTO.....here tis then , the best lever is the winchester 9422 , slick action and if you replace the hammer spring with a lighter unit the trigger is then quite good , takes any one with half a brain 5 min or so .they are much sought after so will hurt the pocket .but when it comes to guns , women and motorbikes who gives a shit. check out the ruger american go wild 22lr and ruger american target stainless for shits and giggles......all the best ..pd.

Comment

Working...
                        X